Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I will never buy 21" tires again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have long been a fan of the 21" wheels because they just look so good on the S, but I have gotten 3 flat tires in the last 3 days on the 21" wheels! The first was from running over a decent size rock from a rockslide in the mountains, and the second/third were from hitting a nasty pothole in the city. I give up... anyone have 4 cyclones for sale?

This is obviously nothing of Tesla's fault, and their roadside assistance/response was fantastic.

Reactions: markn455
I have long been a fan of the 21" wheels because they just look so good on the S, but I have gotten 3 flat tires in the last 3 days on the 21" wheels! The first was from running over a decent size rock from a rockslide in the mountains, and the second/third were from hitting a nasty pothole in the city. I give up... anyone have 4 cyclones for sale?

This is obviously nothing of Tesla's fault, and their roadside assistance/response was fantastic.

If you're still wanting the turbine look I'd look into the Tsportline 19" TSTs. I don't like the look of the cyclones. There is something a little off with them. They almost make me think they're bent. Personal opinion. They are almost identical to the 21" turbines but at 19". I love my grey TSTs. After all the horror stories I read before I bought my car I decided against the 21s.

IMG_3213.JPG

I agree 20" is perfect, not to mention you have much more tire choices than 21".

Wheel look is as much as personal preference as the car's color. I love the cyclones and only wish they are 20", but in reality 19" is plenty good for a car this size.

I am at the same decision point. What is amazing to me is despite all the discussion and many threads is how small (to me) the difference is in reality between the 21" and 19" tires. It is really about an inch of sidewall. I am at 11K miles and my PS2s are almost spent, I have had one sidewall bubble with tire needing replacement. I am heavily leaning toward the gray TS Sportline as I think the darker color blends in better with the slightly larger sidewall well. I am considering the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s as they retain really good grip, acting more like a performance tire, but have the tread life of an all season tire.

tire size comparisons.jpg

20" would have been perfect. I would have paid extra for that. You would have had to pay me to take the 21". Not only do I think they look too much like rubber bands but the cost and hassle is not worth it. Many many more tire options in the 20" wheel size.

Would have ordered my 85 with 18" wheels had that been an option.

Popped a 255/50-19 on my Mercedes on interstate in March. Never had such a tire failure in the previous 40 years. Glad I wasn't in the Model S with 245/45-19's, probably would have bent the rim. The good news is this held pressure as shown for over 100 miles.

Popped_Tire_IMG_0526.jpg

Reactions: Olds442
I've always been curious as to why Tesla never made a 19" turbine like the Tsportline TSTs and opted for a 19" turbine-ish look in the cyclones. I figures it was all about margins considering I don't think many would buy the 21" turbines if Tesla offered the same style in 19s. Expensive wheels those 21s.

21s look great, but you're right, you can't be hitting rocks, running over potholes, or be anything less than surgically accurate when curb parking. That's why 21s are often described as the "high heels" option of our Teslas. It's not the most affordable, convenient, or comfortable footwear, but damn, it does makes that Model S look good.

- K

and now ask youself ... hitting a decent size rock and a nasty pothole - would 19s have definitely survived?

I've always been curious as to why Tesla never made a 19" turbine like the Tsportline TSTs and opted for a 19" turbine-ish look in the cyclones. I figures it was all about margins considering I don't think many would buy the 21" turbines if Tesla offered the same style in 19s. Expensive wheels those 21s.

My thoughts exactly. Would have bought 19" turbines if Tesla had offered them. I don't like the look of the Cyclones and assumed that Tesla didn't want to cannibalize the 21" turbines in not offering a pure turbine rim in 19". We bought 19" Tsportline turbines last month and think they look great.

and now ask youself ... hitting a decent size rock and a nasty pothole - would 19s have definitely survived?

Good question! The rock incident definitely would have been okay. The pothole... No idea.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the wheels or tires, it's you. You have some bad juju, I would burn sage and walk around your car.

No doubt. I need to sacrifice something to the Tesla gods or something.

Luckily, Tire Rack repaced both tires and I was able to pick them up locally on the same day. There was no wheel damage, but if there was, Tesla would have covered it under the wheel warranty that was bought by the original owner of my P85. Tesla also covered both tows. Great service all around.