Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster 2.5 Sport (RHD) review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great review, it summarizes all the facts very well. Is it really true that the european Roadster doesn't light up the brake lights when regenerating? I see a lot of cars going to kiss the heck of the Roadster. Here in Italy you drive following the car before you with a maximum distance of 1 meter...

Dragon - The Roadster brakes no harder than a conventional manual sports car would brake after downshifting. This is why the lights are not allowed to go on earlier. Tesla had no choice. This is decided by regulators. In practice it is no issue in my experience. Those that follow by one meter are a problem in any case and will inevitably hit someone - usually rather sooner than later.

Dragon - The Roadster brakes no harder than a conventional manual sports car would brake after downshifting. This is why the lights are not allowed to go on earlier. Tesla had no choice. This is decided by regulators. In practice it is no issue in my experience. Those that follow by one meter are a problem in any case and will inevitably hit someone - usually rather sooner than later.

Alfred, are you saying that a conventional manual sports car can downshift almost to a complete stop as fast the Roadster does when you lift your foot off the pedal?

Nice Work!

Very good review, lots of detail, organized and easy to read.

One suggestion: I would add "Copper rotor" to the motor specs. This is somewhat exotic for induction motors, and provides higher efficiency than motors with conventional Aluminum rotors. Also, "steel windings" on page 4 needs to be changed to "Copper rotor windings." There is probably a better word than "windings," they are cast in place copper bars with end rings. As far as I know, no one uses steel for the magnetic "heart" of the rotor, just for the "frame" that holds the electro-magnets.

GSP

Last edited:
Alfred, are you saying that a conventional manual sports car can downshift almost to a complete stop as fast the Roadster does when you lift your foot off the pedal?

Haven't done it in a roadster, but the R8 slows a good bit when easing off the gas, even more when down shifting. I do that instead of braking usually (especially when it's cold out and the brakes like to squeal)

Peter: Of course not, certainly not to a crawl. But take the typical approach on a pass down towards a hairpin. For safety reasons and to avoid fading you would shift from 3d into 2nd. In 2nd that would feel similar (Roadster 2.0 and later). At lower speeds the slowdown is fairly gentle (2.0 and 2.5 certainly). I had no bad experiences that would indicate that other drivers have a problem with this. Maybe that is not everywhere the same. As with other cars it can be a good idea to touch the brake to signal a slowdown, if a car behind you is close and may not realise why you are slowing down - certainly on the Rimutaka....

Last edited:
Very good review, lots of detail, organized and easy to read.

One suggestion: I would add "Copper rotor" to the motor specs. This is somewhat exotic for induction motors, and provides higher efficiency than motors with conventional Aluminum rotors. Also, "steel windings" on page 4 needs to be changed to "Copper rotor windings." There is probably a better word than "windings," they are cast in place copper bars with end rings. As far as I know, no one uses steel for the magnetic "heart" of the rotor, just for the "frame" that holds the electro-magnets.

GSP

Hey GSP, thanks very much, will make these amendments.