Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Warning Sensitivity Options Poll

With respect to the current Lane Departure Warning System available in my Model S

• I use the system; I don't think there would be any benefit from a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • I use the system; I do think there would be a benefit from a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I do not use the system; I might consider using it if there was a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • I do not use the system; I would not use it even if there was a lower sensitivity option.

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I've just sent the following letter to [email protected]:

--
I’m writing with a suggestion for an improvement to the Lane Departure Warning system.

I think this system should have at least one additional setting that allows for fewer warnings than the number given now. The options could be something along the lines of “Early Warning” and “Late Warning” or “High Sensitivity” and “Low Sensitivity”. This would be similar to the system currently in place with the Forward Collision Warning System, which allows the driver to select the sensitivity level at which he or she wants to be alerted.

The reason there is a need for this is that the current system is often alerting at very slight deviations from being perfectly equidistant between the lines on either side of the road. When I’m driving I’m often moving from one side of the lane or road to the other for good reason, and being alerted unnecessarily. Occasionally I’m just failing to keep the car as far from the center line (on a two lane road) as the system might like, but not actually touching the center line, and the system will alert. I recognize that there may be some drivers who prefer this level of sensitivity, and that is fine. They would choose to drive with “Early Warning” or “High Sensitivity” selected. But other drivers, including some who have probably turned the Lane Departure Warning System off, would choose to use the system if it were set to alert less frequently. So there is an additional safety benefit there as well.

I hope Tesla will consider adding this option in a future firmware release.

Thanks.
--

I thought it would be interesting, and possibly helpful to the cause, to take a poll of the users here, to see if others agree with me.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't necessarily want to be warned less frequently, I want to know when I do cross the lane boundaries, I would like either a briefer warning or a less intense warning. The other problem for me living in a city with the world's most extensive tram network is that the lane departure system responds to tram lines as if they are lane markers and vibrates away even tough I'm still within my lane.

I had it activated for about 3 days... shut it off because I tend to pick my lines in the corners in a way the system doesn't like. I don't cross the center line, but I do try to apex the turns to some degree and might nudge the shoulder line from time to time. It was always activating and got quite annoying! If it could function like driving on a milled asphalt rumble strip right AT the line, that would work better for me.

I like the present sensitivity, but don't object to making it adjustable. It does alarm fairly often, but I find it just the proper volume that I notice it but false alarms aren't annoying.
I learned from it that I tended to cut towards the inside of a curve and am correcting that habit. While I don't go over the line, I figure it is better for drivers in adjacent lanes if I stay centered.

I like the present sensitivity, but don't object to making it adjustable. It does alarm fairly often, but I find it just the proper volume that I notice it but false alarms aren't annoying.
I learned from it that I tended to cut towards the inside of a curve and am correcting that habit. While I don't go over the line, I figure it is better for drivers in adjacent lanes if I stay centered.

I'm guessing you probably don't do a lot of driving on two lane roads.

On the two lane roads I travel frequently, there is often something or somebody on the shoulder that is giving me a good reason to move closer to the center of the road. In these situations I can't signal, because I'm not changing lanes, but the slight shift by a foot or two to the left is enough to set off the lane departure warning. It gets pretty annoying.

I have considered turning it off, but I don't want to go that far. I really hope Tesla will provide an option that allows for lower sensitivity.

I definitely use the system and believe more sensitivity options would be great. It does work well on the freeway, where it matters the most to me.
On another note, I notice that latency is an issue. For example when I pass a semi on the freeway at for example 75 mph and the truck is going 55 mph, i will turn on the blinker to move into that lane after I am clear. But the sensor does not understand the speed difference and that the safe space is growing in a second. Not sure if they can figure that one out. That is the only time I get false positives.

On another note, I notice that latency is an issue. For example when I pass a semi on the freeway at for example 75 mph and the truck is going 55 mph, i will turn on the blinker to move into that lane after I am clear. But the sensor does not understand the speed difference and that the safe space is growing in a second. Not sure if they can figure that one out. That is the only time I get false positives.

That doesn't sound like the Lane Departure Warning system you are referring to, but rather the Blind Spot Warning system.

@Andy, you are right. My comment was based on the Blind Spot Warning for false positives. The lane departure does work well, but would definitely like sensitivity adjustments to be available per the survey. Thx.

I wonder how many of the people selecting the first option--"I use the system; I don't think there would be any benefit from a lower sensitivity option." might also be confusing the two systems.

I find the system to be a major annoyance driving through narrow streets in Boston, so I don't use it and wouldn't use it even if they made the sensitivity adjustable.

I do wish there was a way to use it just for highway travel.

I find the system to be a major annoyance driving through narrow streets in Boston, so I don't use it and wouldn't use it even if they made the sensitivity adjustable.

The issue with how it is activated is my issue with it. It should only be warning when you cross a highway lane. How and when it is told to help you, stay in lane.
That is what it is for, not slow or in town driving.

Last edited:

I'm planning on writing to Tesla again, to direct them to this thread. I'll add a suggestion that they also include an option to only enable the lane departure warning system above a user definable speed, so that if someone wants to use it only on the highway, they could do that by setting the speed that it kicks in at to 55 or 60 MPH.

I find it way too sensitive. While driving in Socal freeways it would constantly go off if I deviate even slightly, and not even touching the lines yet! Even when pulling off into a freeway offramp the thing would think I am drifting off and starts to vibrate. Mercedes' implementation is much more "stealth." You never know the function is there until it's really needed.

I'm planning on writing to Tesla again, to direct them to this thread. I'll add a suggestion that they also include an option to only enable the lane departure warning system above a user definable speed, so that if someone wants to use it only on the highway, they could do that by setting the speed that it kicks in at to 55 or 60 MPH.

They could use the same logic they use for TACC to differentiate between highway and surface road driving (that determines whether "hold" is engaged after 30 seconds or 5 seconds)

I turned off the lane departure warning a while ago, but isn't the warning the same as blind spot warning? That is my recollection and if that is the case then it is another reason to turn it off since lane departure warnings that I have received were really of no benefit and were often false positives (streetcar tracks, zebra crossings, snow coverage) but the blind spot warning has helped a few times. IMHO keeping lane departure warning on is in danger of becoming a "Boy who cried wolf" situation.

I find it only alerts if I go over the line so, to me, it's working as intended.
I find it useful as it keeps me driving between the lines (the wife approves... she doesn't like it when I drift out of my lane).
I'm not sure what a "lower sensitivity" setting would do...

99% of the time mine only alerts me when I start driving over the line.
The other 1%, there are certain areas that have... a different kind of pavement near the edge of the road, and it alarms when I start driving on it.

So I'm happy with where it is, but if there was a lower sensitivity setting, I might try it out.