Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger progress Middle Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to all Model S owners ........ I have been on the Roadster side for past five years but would like to join Model S threads since my lovely bride has a brown MS 85 and has questions I can't answer.

That intro said......... Anybody have an idea how to charge between St. Louis and Kansas City?
Any Texans know when Amarillo might be constructed?

We need to use the Supercharger Hwy between MD and AZ without mountains ......,. We are embarking on a journey with my Roadster on a trailer pulled by a Penske Truck and the MS riding point. A little hairy at our age but we MUST escape the East Coast.

Any info would be appreciated!

Anybody have an idea how to charge between St. Louis and Kansas City?

It's 250 miles between those two. There are two destination charge points on the Find Us page. Both are at hotels so you'd have to spend the night. Plugshare shows public chargers at an apartment house that are usable by the public. Not great, but you wouldn't need that much if you range charge in St. Louis. Rvparking.com shows the Hanson Hills Campground which would be better than the public charger if you aren't staying the night at one of the Tesla Destination chargers.

No word on Amarillo, but I believe there is a Bed and Breakfast there with an HPWC.

It's only 213 miles between those 2 superchargers, you should be able to do it in an s85 (after a full range ycharge) pretty easily unless you encounter rain or a significant headwind.

Edit: the Amarillo gap can also be jumped in a single charge (it's 203 miles iirc) unless you hit really bad weather. Go to supercharge.info to easily measure distances.

I drove that route both ways in May in my S85 in inclement weather- and I had no trouble making it from St Charles to Independence (either direction) and from Tucumcari to Shamrock( either direction) Here is what I did- I fully charged at either end- and then drove the first 1/2 at 5 under the speed limit, saw I had enough range to make it and then sped up to the speed limit- it's really not a problem driving a S85 215-220 miles and still having a 20mile range left- Of course YMMV depending on your load and your right foot- As for going under the speed limit, you probably will be going under the speed limit due to the Penske Truck anyway- The only issues I had along the way- Perry was off line when I got there heading east, but was up when I was heading back west- and ABQ didn't have a supercharger- which is imminent- just need to be "turned on" it's finished. I used a Chademo station in ABQ Final piece of advice. Enjoy the trip! it will work fine-

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that with 6.2 the status of the superchargers appears in the nav map ( off line or slow charging at least appear )

EV Trip Planner is a great tool for estimating real rated miles used. Just fill in all the parameters.

The Energy:Trip screen is a great tool for the "Will I get there?" question. My rule of thumb is to leave Superchargers with 10-15% predicted SoC at the destination in good weather. If it dips below 10%, I slow down, draft, find someplace to charge, etc. Slowing down at the beginning on the long legs and/or drafting can make a huge difference.

Have fun! Why not do I-70 across Colorado, it's great fun and beautiful!

Hello to all Model S owners ........ I have been on the Roadster side for past five years but would like to join Model S threads since my lovely bride has a brown MS 85 and has questions I can't answer.

That intro said......... Anybody have an idea how to charge between St. Louis and Kansas City?
Any Texans know when Amarillo might be constructed?

We need to use the Supercharger Hwy between MD and AZ without mountains ......,. We are embarking on a journey with my Roadster on a trailer pulled by a Penske Truck and the MS riding point. A little hairy at our age but we MUST escape the East Coast.

Any info would be appreciated!
We just completed AZ to Syracuse, NY round trip. We planned the return to stay overnight at the Tiger hotel which is halfway between St. Louis and Kansas City and the valet charged the MS overnight at their HPWC. Really nice hotel.

I agree with Cottonwood- EVtripplanner helped plan the trip- and then using the Trip Screen while charging and indeed charging to about 20% extra ( ~50 mile buffer) worked very well for me even with wind and rain and cool ( 50s) temps during my trip from Tucson to Indianapolis last month. I never intentionally drafted anything due to my fear of getting the windshield broken, I did slow down at the beginning of the long legs like I had stated earlier. Our next trip to CA will not require such slowing down and I look forward to it since we will be taking the Silver Tesla and I finally get to do a long TACC trip.. Can't wait.

You should be able to do Shamrock to Tucumcari nonstop if you watch your speed. However if you need to get some additional range, there is a Tesla HPWC and regular Tesla charger at Holiday Inn Express , 8330 West Amarillo Blvd Amarillo, Texas 79124.

The chargers are on the southwest corner of the building, the side closest to the post office across the street.

The HPWC is on the far right.The left side has a Clipper Creek J1772.

Amarillo hasn't completed the permitting process for the supercharger, so it will be a while before we have that.

I live near Ft. Worth Tx. If I want to drive to see my sister who lives in Raleigh NC I would have to drop down to Houston and go I10 to Mobile then up to Atlanta which would add 1000 miles to the round trip. Not good.
Or you could fly. Seriously, how often do you drive from Ft. Worth to Raleigh? Or are you just trying to make the point that Tesla didn't cover the entire country with superchargers simultaneously?