Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test car spotted with new sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I was sitting in my car at the Gilroy Supercharger when I looked over and spotted a red Model S with something strange attached to the side mirror.
Upon closer inspection, I found what looks like cameras pointing down at the ground on all four sides of the vehicle. The car had "MFG" manufacturer plates so it's a Tesla car, likely a test car for some future Model S or Model X sensor systems. This could be for an advanced autopilot or a 360 degree camera view like on some other vehicles.

Here are the pics is the highest resolution possible. Sorry I didn't get the interior or the complete VIN or get to talk to the driver. I have no other pictures.

20150613_180252.jpg

20150613_180308.jpg

20150613_180313.jpg

20150613_180322.jpg

Certainly not a very stealthy configuration if they were trying to hide it from public view ;-)

I bet it is for 360 camera view since a lot of cars have that now and Tesla wants to be at least as good on tech features.

that said, this one add really won't bother me as it something we almost never like using in our BMW that has it. Instead we use the parking audible sensors and backup camera. I do hope they add better car/wheel guidelines to camera view in time at least.

My guess is that they're R&D'ing Digital-Camera Side-Mirror's that also give 360' view for Parking/Reverse Camera. I know Elon is all about efficiencies, especially so because it's an BEV and Air-Resistance (Drag) is to be as MINIMAL as possible to make your car go further for less energy.

I bet they're going to unveil a new Model S Mirror design alongside the X unveil, seeming as the X should have this design already on it.

I'm imagining a very compact and air-tunnel-efficient design, extending out of from where the side-mirror's currently extend, only as wide as a Digital Camera+Housing.

(my own personal speculation, makes sense in my mind)

Presumably they would be added to the Autopilot features package, increasing it's cost by $1,000?

I'm surprised nobody has seen this yet. Clearly they are Model S nipples for extra titilation in insane mode. This is how they make baby Model S's which grow up, and get delivered to us - which explains the long excruciating wait times. Or they could be rear + 360 degree view cameras.

The brackets are probably 3D printed/milled, so they can try different configurations.

I do think it's parts of a non-critical system, such as a 360" parking camera system, as this location gets dirty really fast when dealing with snow/rain.

For reference, here's a picture of the camera in the Nissan LEAF's mirror.

$_57.JPG

Those camera brackets are just for testing. Tesla is not going to produce a car with the side cameras mounted on individual brackets. They will be integrated into the mirror housing or car body in some way.

No way! I bet they'll be there on the final product. I love those brackets and the visible wires running along the outside of the car. I bet everyone feels this way. :wink: