Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model X have electrochromic windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
It was suggested/theorized Model X might have electrochromic windows. We know pretty sure Model X will ship with crossbeam-less front window extending the windshield all the way to the falcon wing doors area. This long glass certainly would be a prime candidate for partial electrochromic control.

I'm more and more sure that this car will have electrochromic windows. :wink:

Sounds like someone else did a little internet sleuthing on the reddit poster as well. :smile:

And you're specifically meaning electrochromic as opposed to photochromic, correct?

Smart glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the automotive world, Mercedes Benz for example has used this for sunroofs.

mercedes-slk-magic-sky.jpg

Thanks guys!

An older video of the SpaceX facility - led and narrated by Mr Musk - shows its glass-walled conference room to be entirely of smart glass. It becomes opaque instantly upon a person entering the room. Electrochromic traditionally has been a slow procedure. The wiki line AR provided in post #1 presents a large number of smart glasses that I found surprising in their vastly different methods for achieving a similar goal. I really like the "micro-blind" technique! And I certainly hope the state-of-the-art is such that one of these kinds of smart glass can effectively - thus economically - be applied to all glass in a vehicle.

An older video of the SpaceX facility - led and narrated by Mr Musk - shows its glass-walled conference room to be entirely of smart glass. It becomes opaque instantly upon a person entering the room. Electrochromic traditionally has been a slow procedure. The wiki line AR provided in post #1 presents a large number of smart glasses that I found surprising in their vastly different methods for achieving a similar goal. I really like the "micro-blind" technique! And I certainly hope the state-of-the-art is such that one of these kinds of smart glass can effectively - thus economically - be applied to all glass in a vehicle.

Thank you for sharing that insight!

This kind of smart glass - or film over glass - is definitely sold for conference rooms quite regularly these days, activated immediately by a switch or motion sensor.

Automotive use is still far and few between, though.

Interesting notes on the Gentex angle:

Based on the data given in the other thread about Gentex, I'm pretty certain I have the reddit poster's name and information. No benefit in posting it here for obvious reasons, but definitely seems to have taken the shot at Gentex in Zeeland, Michigan. Gentex has three facilities in the area, one in Holland and two in Zeeland. I believe the one where the MX was snapped was the one in this picture.

View attachment 84057

Last edited:
Lets go all the way with GPS controlled electrochromic windows. The system will only tint as allowed by local law. Also user selectable functionality based on day/night and who is driving on shared cars. Option for max tint when car is off. Tint bar at top of windshield controllable for height as well as tint level.

I can spend all of Tesla's R&D budget, if they will let me.

Lets go all the way with GPS controlled electrochromic windows. The system will only tint as allowed by local law. Also user selectable functionality based on day/night and who is driving on shared cars. Option for max tint when car is off. Tint bar at top of windshield controllable for height as well as tint level.

I can spend all of Tesla's R&D budget, if they will let me.

Certainly Tesla's software-flare could do well with electronic windows. I could see all kinds of possibilities, like different profiles for daytime, motorway driving, city streets (red carpet)... ;)

Certainly Tesla's software-flare could do well with electronic windows. I could see all kinds of possibilities, like different profiles for daytime, motorway driving, city streets (red carpet)... ;)

Just some manual sections would suffice. I think Elon doing a road trip must have triggered the hmmm I'd like to tint windows thought; as anyone traveling with kids appreciates.

The tech used for conference rooms (my personal favorite is the emergency ops center of the WHO ) is different than throne used in vehicles for sunlight (eg Boeing 787)

Just some manual sections would suffice. I think Elon doing a road trip must have triggered the hmmm I'd like to tint windows thought; as anyone traveling with kids appreciates.

The tech used for conference rooms (my personal favorite is the emergency ops center of the WHO ) is different than throne used in vehicles for sunlight (eg Boeing 787)

Sure, I was just thinking Tesla being the type that might not leave things to manual control only...

Thanks for the added insight, too!

I've not been in a 787, but I was in a new KingAir the other day that also uses that glass and I was mightily impressed!

Aviation type glasses shares the goals of EVs- low maintenance, low weight, retain safety characteristics, work well in curvy applications, reduce noise/distortion when clear; tolerance for higher initial price.
It may take a little while to tint (a bunch of seconds versus instant)

I've been wondering about the X windshield. If it really does extend as far back as it appears, and if, because of the falcon doors, it can neither open nor support a pull shut shade, then how could Tesla keep the interior from getting too hot on bright days?

What if they could electronically darken the upper portion of the windshield? Folks have been speculating on side windows, but the elephant in the room is the glass roof. I rode in a friend's S the other day, and there was a screen inserted inside the roof glass that helped a lot. Not sure how well that would work on the upper portions of the windshield, since there would be no roof structure to fasten the front of it to. So I for one am rooting for electronically dimming glass.

Not sure how to get a footer on these messages, but I'm Sig#205. Mostly silent on the forum, but fully understand the straightjacket comment :)

I agree with @PGeer and I feel that some form of shading is absolutely a requirement over the heads of the first row, possibly even 2nd row. Electrochromic sounds like a neat option and I hope that happens. However, this only adds to another concern of mine, which is windshield replacement. A nice rock, kicked up from the tires of a transport truck, can be a very expensive micro-collision. That windshield is so much larger than a typical windshield and in such a complex shape, I would expect that windshield replacement will be a lot more expensive.

Does anyone have any idea of how much additional cost an Electrochromic roof would add to the windshield price?

I read that on Daimler SLK, their "Magic Sky" option was about $2,000 over the base glass roof.

Thanks @TEG, it sounds like it would make for one really expensive windshield if they use electrochromic windows. I wonder if insurance would pay for it? I assume that you'll only be able to get it replaced at Tesla, which may add to inconvenience if there isn't a Tesla Service Center nearby.