Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Gen Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm working on ordering a P70D and am going back and forth on whether to spend the $2500 for the Next Gen Seats. I test drove the P70D which had them and they really did offer great comfort. Yet, I was in the car for maybe 20 minutes. My P60 has the standard seats, which are also comfortable. So, if any out there have the Next Gen Seats, can you please offer some advice, is it worth the $2500?

Thanks, David

I have a 85d with the standard seats, which I think are very comfortable but dont have much side support. I drove a P85D for a 3 days with the next gen seats and found them to be very comfortable and they hold you in place unlike the standard seats. If I had it to do over again I would have ordered the next gen... My wife didnt like the next gen seats, she said the standard ones were more comfortable to her.
I think if you are larger person its best to go with standard seats since the next gen might be too snug for a wider body.

Next gen vs Old

- Fat people would want old seats
- Old people with arthritis would want old seats (easier to get out of)
- Next Gens otherwise are more comfy, and better looking .. for most people.
- Next gens don't have the tiny front pocket that the current seats do.
- The headrest of Next gen's is better.
- The cost diff is $750, not 2500 (compared to leather). The base textile seats are too base IMO (not heated, not enough adjustment).

I got next gens!

Last edited:
We bought an inventory car that had next gen seats and I really like them. I have never driven Mercedes like some people on these forums but so glad it has them for long drives and day to day comfort. Besides color and rims that is the only feature I would have gone for. 70D upgraded seats, cyclone rims, and engaged autopilot !! Can't wait for the next update, have only had car for just over a week now !!

I'm working on ordering a P70D and am going back and forth on whether to spend the $2500 for the Next Gen Seats. I test drove the P70D which had them and they really did offer great comfort. Yet, I was in the car for maybe 20 minutes. My P60 has the standard seats, which are also comfortable. So, if any out there have the Next Gen Seats, can you please offer some advice, is it worth the $2500?

Thanks, David

The standard leather is an upgrade as well but next gen are noticeably better IMHO. If you like support, and your not obese then they would be more comfortable I think. They also seemed to have much more lumbar support compared the the non-next gen, more so than other cars we've owned. They do look better for sure too but the old ones look fine & modern also. Rem, its the 70D, not P70D (no such car exist).

Ultimately for resale value, more people may look/expect next gen seats if your going to be selling the car later one day.

Our inventory 85D (arriving in 2 weeks) will have them, but we thought it wasn't going to. We made one last trip to the SC yesterday to drive a car with coils (that just happened to have next gen seats) and then we went and sat in a P85 that had the std textile seats. I have to admit I was really disappointed with the feel of the std seats after sitting in the next gen. Then we went in to finalize our order and saw that the detailed cut sheet of our car DID have next gen.

I think the std seats will be fine if you don't ever sit in the next gen seats (or at least don't sit in them back-to-back).

I have the next gens coming with my 85D soon as well...any noticeable difference in the executive rear seats compared to standard rear seats? I did not get the executive rear seats

There would be very noticeable differences -- the executive seats are designed for cars used for chauffeured service. They carry only two passengers and do not fold for increased cargo space.

Thanks, David

They'd be a bargain at twice the price in my opinion. Our last car was a P85 and when we first got the P85D it had the non-Next Gen seats. It's night and day with the Next Gen seats. They're far more comfortable and they keep you planted if you drive aggressively. I consider them a must have option.

I have the standard textile seats, but they are the old standard seats (April 2014) not the new standard seats. I sat in a Model S with the new standard seats (not next-gen) and the headrest angled forward was very uncomfortable to me compared to the old standard seats. Just wanted to note the difference in the headrests. The next-gen seats (though I've never experienced them) appear to have headrests angled more like the old standard seats. That alone would have driven me to the next-gen seats if I ordered today.

Thanks, David

I had the older seats for 4 months before Tesla swapped them for the Next Gens (front and rear) that I had ordered. I'm very much average height and weight but I wouldn't dream to go back. They're much more comfortable and they look a lot more appropriate in the vehicle.

Confirmed, and I stand corrected. Hmm, not bad though if textile seats are heated. I've never sat in the textile seats, wonder how good/bad they are.
Maybe I could have saved $2500. Between the next gen leather and current leather, I sat in both side by side, and the next gens were definitely better

The textile seats are severely underrated. One reason people don't get them is because there are very very few showroom cars with them. I've had leather in every loaner, both standard and next gen, but I'd choose textile every single time if doing it again.

We got next gen seat and love them. The older seats offer very little lateral support, and frankly they just don't feel very well made.

Some people say fat people may find next gen seat uncomfortable. While I am not fat, I don't consider myself thin either and there are plenty of room for my love handles. They fit much relaxed than the Porsche sports seats yet provides just as much support. Recaro makes excellent seats.

Thanks for all of the comments. On my test drive, you could really feel the support of the Next Gens. My wife and I are "fit", so no problem with being too large. Part of the reason for moving up to the 70D is for the added mileage, as would like to venture off on some more trips and 50 miles would make a substantial difference. The other part is the added auto pilot and cruise functions, as well as having the tech package inclusive. So, with all of that and comfort in mind, you all have persuaded me - I'll go with the Next Gens!

Thanks again.

The next gen seats are much more comfortable and offer more support and cushioning then the old standard seats. In my 2013 S40 I had to use a seat cushion for better lower back support and comfort. With next gens, no cushion needed! Definitely worth the extra $$$!