Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory vs. CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call your nearest store (or gallery) and have them look up what's available in your region. Then if you're not happy with the selection, start calling other regions' stores. They used to have a POC at HQ that would look at the entire fleet, but they've moved away from it after having some logistical problems with shipping. At least that's what I was told by my gallery contact.

I had stopped by the Highland Park Store, and I have a feeling that out of the 100 or so cars they have, some might be inventory. Will have to stop by when they are open.

IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG

There is not to much difference between the two. The CPO cars are reconditioned to new, inventory is not. Tax credit is already subtracted from CPO, inventory you have to wait to file it. Id do CPO.
There is a big difference between the two. Inventory cars are recent production, usually within the past three months. CPO cars are older-- they have been traded in on newer models. You'll find 60s and P85s as CPO, also 85s without autopilot. The inventory cars will be what's being made now- 70D, 85, 85D, P85D.

Also I don't think your statement about tax credit being subtracted from CPO price is correct, I thought the tax credit only applied to new cars (not registered to an owner yet, so inventory counts). But I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable on that. I'm sure they're will be posts about it soon if that's not correct.

There is a big difference between the two. Inventory cars are recent production, usually within the past three months. CPO cars are older-- they have been traded in on newer models. You'll find 60s and P85s as CPO, also 85s without autopilot. The inventory cars will be what's being made now- 70D, 85, 85D, P85D.

Also I don't think your statement about tax credit being subtracted from CPO price is correct, I thought the tax credit only applied to new cars (not registered to an owner yet, so inventory counts). But I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable on that. I'm sure they're will be posts about it soon if that's not correct.

You are correct. Inventory cars have not been sold to anyone, Tesla still owns them, so the car, when sold to the buyer is new and is eligible for the U.S. Federal Tax Credit (and in California, the state rebate).

CPO has been registered and is not eligible for those incentives (though I seem to remember that one of the states (Colorado?) now allows their state program to apply to used cars (which a CPO is).

Not all Inventory cars are "what's being made now". And not all CPO cars are older, you can find recent 2014's for sale, some do have Autopilot and some of the newer features. And what I meant amount the tax credit is that it's already been taken from the first owner and not all inventory cars come with a tax credit.

CPO has been registered and is not eligible for those incentives (though I seem to remember that one of the states (Colorado?) now allows their state program to apply to used cars (which a CPO is).
That is correct. A neighbor was recently telling me about a dealership in Boulder that specializes in bringing used, out-of-state, EVs in and selling them here, as they are eligible for a state tax credit up to $6000.

There is not to much difference between the two. The CPO cars are reconditioned to new, inventory is not.

Not true..

Most people I've talked to who got inventory cars got them in like-new condition, including me. My P85+ had 8000 miles on it and was 8 months old when I bought it. Except for one tiny chip on the hood, it was indistinguishable from a new car. Before delivery, it went through Tesla's full inspection and reconditioning, and any issues fixed/addressed, and was delivered like a new car.

In addition, my factory warranty starts on the date and mileage I got the car adding those additional 8000 miles and 8 months.

Thanks! According to this there are NO AutoPilot equipped Tesla CPO cars. Looks like Inventory is the only choice for a discount... or wait until the Model X ships and hope an Autopilot Model S comes along.

Correct. If you scroll down, you can see the CPOs that were previously sold. If you filter on AutoPilot, you can see there were two available previously. One sold within 2 days and the other in 6 days. You aren't the only one looking for Autopilot. Many others on here check daily for Autopilot and AWD models. So far, not much luck.

Correct. If you scroll down, you can see the CPOs that were previously sold. If you filter on AutoPilot, you can see there were two available previously. One sold within 2 days and the other in 6 days. You aren't the only one looking for Autopilot. Many others on here check daily for Autopilot and AWD models. So far, not much luck.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!