Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top speed power consumtion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Can you help
What is power consumption and therefore range of P85d at top speed 150mph?
Is there a limiting time factor due to overheating and therefore what is sustainable top speed?
I want to calculate the fastest possible cruising speed in a current model S to travel 120 miles. Assume road straightish and level (no hills). I have looked for tables but to no avail so far, so are there any autobahn drivers out there?

With thanks

Tom

So a current model s at 125mph cruise at 840 wh/m would give just less than 100 miles range with an 85kWh pack. Close but not quite what I needed (see Cars and Transportation sub forum in which I ask'Why not simply use driverless tesla so on a dedicated trackway instead of high speed rail?').

I loved the video. I did that road once on my motorbike with no fairing in the rain!

Last edited:
Hi! Can you help
What is power consumption and therefore range of P85d at top speed 150mph?
Is there a limiting time factor due to overheating and therefore what is sustainable top speed?
I want to calculate the fastest possible cruising speed in a current model S to travel 120 miles. Assume road straightish and level (no hills). I have looked for tables but to no avail so far, so are there any autobahn drivers out there?

With thanks

Tom
There is some information here:
Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors
But the graphs only go to 85 MPH (200 miles range).

Looking at evtripplanner.com
I put in a trip from Harris Ranch to Tejon Pass Supercharger (116 miles) with a speed multiplier of 1.25 gives a travel time of 1:20 which is also about 85 mph.

Don't seem to have much data above 85 mph. The graphs drop off from about 290 miles range at 65 to 210 miles range (72%) at 85 so could extrapolate (risky) from 85 to 105 and get a range of about 150 miles and at 125 mph get a range of about 110 miles. It's definitely not linear so these are only rough approximations but you should get a range of 120 miles at about 120 mph (nice rule of thumb... are you going to try it out?).

Bjorn has a video:
Tesla Model S P85 driving 200 km/h, 125 mph for 12 minutes on German autobahn - YouTube
The autobahn stretch was 40 km which I covered in 12 minutes averaging 200 km/h or 125 mph. Consumption was 520 Wh/km (840 Wh/mi).

Thanks. As said above I would like to find out range at given speeds. Obviously drag becomes more important, as does mass, so a larger battery pack will complicate things. I imagine a vehicle based on S or X carrying up to 9 passengers, travelling between London and Birmingham in UK on dedicated trackway at 150mph. With battery swaps at each end. Once I get enough info I will post on Cars and Tranportation forum. Any help welcome!

PS Would love to try it out - one day!

Thanks. As said above I would like to find out range at given speeds. Obviously drag becomes more important, as does mass, so a larger battery pack will complicate things. I imagine a vehicle based on S or X carrying up to 9 passengers, travelling between London and Birmingham in UK on dedicated trackway at 150mph. With battery swaps at each end. Once I get enough info I will post on Cars and Tranportation forum. Any help welcome!

PS Would love to try it out - one day!

If you are talking about energy usage at constant high speed then mass is pretty much irrelevant. It increases rolling resistance and that's all.

Thanks. You are right of course, but mass will affect energy consumption during acceleration (extra mass will increase level of regenerative braking). However for my concept this is a minimal issue, which means that battery pack size can be increased to help range. Just wanted to get real world power consumption figures for real vehicle as a benchmark