Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin Tx Hilton downtown ICE'd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. There was a great surprise this weekend here at the Austin Hilton downtown on 4th Street.
They have a Chargepoint 30 that I have used several times staying here, but when I planned on charging, it was ICE'd by my antithesis, TWO side by side diesel dually pick Ups. Parking got tight, and they just evidently said "scr---- you EVs", and locked it up.. There are clearly marked EV parking only signs, but no "You'll be Towed" signs.
I talked to the ConCiegre, and first told them how much I appreciated that there was an ability to charge here, and told them how forward thinking their Hilton Company was for having absorbed the Chargepoint charge fees every time I Charged there. She got a big smile from this. Then , I apologized for what I was about to do, which was to bring about a problem, but I told them, that before I divulge this problem, that I had a solution to it.
I explained that as a Tesla owner, ( she said " oh! My dream car!!") we only have a limited number of places to " re-fuel" much like if you drove a gas car, there were only 3 places to fuel up, but when you get to the pump, low and behold, an electric Car had blocked the pump, and you couldn't get close enough to re-fill. I told her about what ICE-ing is.. She got a bang out of that, but the solution was to put Tow if you are not a qualified vehicle, signs up. Also, I asked how they would Handle the transition to that here at this location, like was she the right person to bring this problem to in the first place, and second, do they have meetings to bring up problems like this, to which she said, Yes, there is a sustainability group, and she is at those meetings regularly, and she was the correct person to bring this problem to.
Well, there you go, I said, you now have something of great import to bring to this meeting, and you'll look great! I left, and she was pretty excited, and I gave my name and phone number for her to use at the meeting, with permission granted to call me to talk about anything concerning this, hopefully adding a little weight to this dilemma.
Wait and see, but there were at least 3 Tesla's here on this Hilton property this weekend of 6/13/14/2015 that had two big a-- trucks blocking the charger. Can't wait till next time to see if there are TowSigns up.

With 3 Teslas there and one Chargepoint, that sound like a great spot for destination charging. How about showing your contact there this link:
Destination Charging | Tesla Motors

There is a "contact us" at the bottom of the page where they can apply.
Well, it is now Sun, June 14, and the giant locomotive sized pickups are STILL in the two only EV slots at yhe Chargepoint. So, I don't think these folks here even did anything about the encounter. I asked the lady at the ConCiergre's desk that I taked to about if she saw these violators, and she just said, no, she hadn't, but that she sent " security" to look at it. NOTHING changed .
I was glad to get your reply (above) about the link to Tesla Destination Charging, and I took my iPad down to the desk, the ConCiergre was gone, and I went to the front desk here at the Hilton Downtown Austin, and asked where they were, and THEY said they were the ConCiergre for now, how could they help me. I re- explained, and got to the point that they could get two Tesla Charge units iinstalled, showing them the picture. The lady said,since it was a sales pitch that I would have to go to corporate, have a good day......
These representatives couldn't care less, and I am so sure I am a sales pitch now, even though I am a Physician.
Trucks are still here, Tesla is a sales pitch, and it looks like they have me changing careers, so I think we have to wait on these folks here to catch up, and maybe they will modernize when they realize that shoveling coal into cars is reaching a dead end.

Perhaps you'll consider the below hotel has both... 2 CP chargers and 2 Telsa destination chargers in the parking garage. If you try there, be sure to mention why.

Hyatt Regency Austin
208 Barton Springs
Austin, Texas

Perhaps you'll consider the below hotel has both... 2 CP chargers and 2 Telsa destination chargers in the parking garage. If you try there, be sure to mention why.

Hyatt Regency Austin
208 Barton Springs
Austin, Texas

The Hyatt has THREE Tesla connectors. The one furthest "downhill" has lower power that the top two, but still fine for overnight charging.

They host Test Drive Events there so are very familiar with Tesla. The parking spaces are also very well marked, see my avatar pic.

Rick

Last edited:

Hyatt Regency Austin
208 Barton Springs
Austin, Texas

Agree wholeheartedly. I've stayed at Hyatt and there has never been anything besides a Tesla in their spaces, despite being in a prime location next to the garage's hotel connector.

Abandon Hilton, and let them know why.