Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Purchase Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so excited!! Put a down payment for a CPO vehicle and it is on a truck for delivery (from Atlanta to Connecticut)

I wanted to start a thread on experiences of other CPO purchasers with the dealership, condition of the car etc.

1. How was the condition of your car?
2. How was the experience?
3. Early VIN purchasers... any regrets, issues ... did you get a chance to drive the car before purchase?
4. Any other comments, recommendations or suggestions before pickup?

Any information would be awesome!!! Cant wait to pick up the car and get rid of my ICE

Thanks!!!!

I am so excited!! Put a down payment for a CPO vehicle and it is on a truck for delivery (from Atlanta to Connecticut)

I wanted to start a thread on experiences of other CPO purchasers with the dealership, condition of the car etc.

1. How was the condition of your car?
2. How was the experience?
3. Early VIN purchasers... any regrets, issues ... did you get a chance to drive the car before purchase?
4. Any other comments, recommendations or suggestions before pickup?

Any information would be awesome!!! Cant wait to pick up the car and get rid of my ICE

Thanks!!!!

My CPO experience was excellent. Deposit was put on an early Signature car on May 4th by a leasing company that I engaged at the recommendation of Tesla (Earth Auto leasing in Dallas area). Car was shipped from Paramus NJ to the Watertown Mass. SC and I was able to pick it up on May 28th.

My DS (Ryan and Christian) were very helpful in keeping me informed of the status of the car during the interim.

Condition of the car was excellent (it was a 2012 Silver Signature P85 with 21K miles on it) It was well prepared for delivery. Everything worked flawlessly and the exterior and interior were in like new condition IMHO. I did not have an opportunity to see or drive the car prior to pickup, but I have no regrets whatsoever after 2+weeks and almost 1000 miles on the car. In fact, at the rate I am going, I will far exceed my allowable mileage under the lease!

I would rate my overall experience as excellent!

Glad to hear! I am contemplating on disconnecting my router because since I put down a down payment on the car all I have been doing is scouring the forums! Ryan is awesome!!! He even pinged my car when I called to see if it had left Atlanta! Tesla service is phenomenal and I can't wait to get behind the wheel.
Btw did anyone on the forum pick a CPO with license plate holes drilled in the front nose cone and request them to change it? I would rather not have one with holes in them and was thinking of requesting them to change the nose cone if it had any.

toxicpenguin

As I wait for the right CPO I'm trying to gather as many facts and experiences as possible, with that I have two questions. Did you ask for and were you provided a copy of the vehicles Service History? Also can you confirm if the FREE 3G service gets re-set and you get another 4 years?

Thanks in advance.

I did not ask for service records. I was initially going to, but reading the forums it looks like sometimes these cars go in multiple times for fixes where they just upgrade old parts with new ones even if they suspect something wrong. Also see Kman's youtube channel.... the service is so good with Tesla, they cover any potential issues right away. I don't think I am too concerned with service records. When I purchased the CPO I took into consideration that the car is a 1st gen, some issues may arise. Tesla is also trying to make the experience as stellar as possible as it is such a new company.
As for the 3G ... I will ask. I thought the 3G was for the life of the car.... it shouldn't change if the owner did.

As for the 3G ... I will ask. I thought the 3G was for the life of the car.... it shouldn't change if the owner did.

I would check, everything I have read in this forum and the other forum all suggest it was capped at 4 years.

What I have not been able determine is if a new CPO owners gets 4 years or what's left from the delivery date, or some other expiration date.

Myself and other future CPO owners will thank you for asking.

cheers

Just got a call from the Service Rep in CT. They have the car in the service station and it is undergoing "fixing up". I did ask him about the 3G service, and he said it will continue with no interruption. The service is also unlimited with no plans to charge or discontinue. Also he had no idea about obtaining service records. He will find out and let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

@dalamchops : Can you elaborate? What kind of bad experience? Were the 4 Tesla's all new or CPO? Was the bad experience with the car, dealer or service center? My CPO is coming from Atlanta...

Glad to hear! I am contemplating on disconnecting my router because since I put down a down payment on the car all I have been doing is scouring the forums! Ryan is awesome!!! He even pinged my car when I called to see if it had left Atlanta! Tesla service is phenomenal and I can't wait to get behind the wheel.
Btw did anyone on the forum pick a CPO with license plate holes drilled in the front nose cone and request them to change it? I would rather not have one with holes in them and was thinking of requesting them to change the nose cone if it had any.

I was the same way. Look at my post count, then look at my join date! ;)

My CPO previously had a front mounted plate. Tesla had already replaced the nosecone when it was delivered to me.

@cyclone
me too! This is the most I have posted in such a short time!!!
I can't believe I am so antsy for the car.

So far the experience has been excellent. The field rep called me twice, returned all my calls on time responded to questions and is keeping me upto date on the progress.

i think the anticipation is my only complaint! Not tesla's fault. Especially if the car gets delivered in perfect condition ... All will be forgiven :)

Great Experience

I put down my deposit about 24 hours after the site went live. I contacted the local service center in St. Louis and they connected me shortly with my DS Sean. He gave me an ETA of end of the week and worked with me on the financing. That took about the rest of the week. Once that was settled on Friday May 1st I picked up my S85. They noted a number of due bill issues that they would resolve after the weekend. I had plans and they needed the car for a couple of days and did not have a loaner available then ( I also really wanted to get into the MS and go). I got an appointment for the next week. They took care of the due bill items, mounted a full size spare(put it in the frunk), and took care of a noisy passenger seat.

The only glitch that really is bothering me is registering it with the IL DMV. I bought the car in MO and they are working the DMV issues out of their DMV office in Palo Alto. I have been driving the car for a month with outdated paperwork. I keep in touch with Sean and he is working it on his end. Other than that it has been a great experience. Good luck with your new CPO!

Peace,

Father Bill

I haven't bought one yet here in Toronto, but the OA showed me and emailed me a two page CPO checklist on a car I was looking at that shows all the work that was done/needed on the car to be part of the CPO program. He also showed me the CarFax/CarProof history reports that showed when it was original delivered and when it was traded in.

He also did not have a solid answer on the 3G - there was no concrete info on that yet.

I haven't bought one yet here in Toronto, but the OA showed me and emailed me a two page CPO checklist on a car I was looking at that shows all the work that was done/needed on the car to be part of the CPO program.

Would you be willing to share the checklist please? That would be great info for all to know about the reconditioning of CPO cars. It would be great to also post that info in the main CPO thread... http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/46402-Tesla-Model-S-CPO-Website-Now-Live

I put down my deposit about 24 hours after the site went live. I contacted the local service center in St. Louis and they connected me shortly with my DS Sean. He gave me an ETA of end of the week and worked with me on the financing. That took about the rest of the week. Once that was settled on Friday May 1st I picked up my S85. They noted a number of due bill issues that they would resolve after the weekend. I had plans and they needed the car for a couple of days and did not have a loaner available then ( I also really wanted to get into the MS and go). I got an appointment for the next week. They took care of the due bill items, mounted a full size spare(put it in the frunk), and took care of a noisy passenger seat.

The only glitch that really is bothering me is registering it with the IL DMV. I bought the car in MO and they are working the DMV issues out of their DMV office in Palo Alto. I have been driving the car for a month with outdated paperwork. I keep in touch with Sean and he is working it on his end. Other than that it has been a great experience. Good luck with your new CPO!

Peace,

Father Bill

Interesting comments regarding the registration process. I contacted Cam ( STL SC manager) and a lady named Chelsa about buying a CPO from a different region and having it delivered to STL so I can trade in my car and they take care of all the registration, pay my IL sales tax etc and I was told "no problem".

Can you shed anymore light on what the problem is? Hope this gets sorted out for you. Please PM me as needed as I have a major interest in your story.

cheers

Tom
Swansea IL

I am trading in my S60. I was just told I'd be slapped with an additional $700 charge (due to extra miles on the MS) because my CPO car took 5 weeks to get here. I ordered on 05/12, the car wasn't even LOOKED at until 05/22. It wasn't worked on until the 05/25 (since they probably didn't start work on a friday). On 05/28, I was told they were working on it and will be wrapping up the following week. The car did not end up getting to the local SC until 06/14 (after being told twice before that it was being picked up and en route)

So pretty much I am having to pay for multiple delays caused on their end...

The 3G thing is the same for everyone. Elon said about a year ago that the free 3G would continue for at least 4 more years from that date, and then they'll figure out what to do with billing people (and IF they will bill people). It's not (yet) a separate contract or tracked per car. So you have nothing to worry about.

I ordered my CPO car the day the website went live (4/24 I believe). I pretty much "bird dogged" the process, as the CPO thing was new and there were a number of things that either hadn't been thought through or communicated to the field. The "MyTesla" site also was loaded with "new car" stuff and there were a number of changes along the way (including the addition of a $1000 transport fee, which was not made clear initially, though it may have been in the fine print).

The car was delivered 4 weeks and 1 day later. It was transported from "NY" (Paramus, NJ, I believe) to the Raleigh, NC service center. Before it got to me, at a minimum, it was "dealer detailed", got new tires, new floor mats, updated software (and prior data wiped clean) and had the front bumper cover repaired/repainted and paint armor reapplied. Other things may have been done as well.

On delivery, the vehicle had numerous issues.

1. Stress fracture in windshield (developed on the truck enroute to a home delivery) - vehicle was in the VIN range where this was a common issue
2. Wrong rims and wheels (Standard 19" were on the car, not 21" grey as per the MVPA)
3. Frunk made noises when opening and closing (there were acorns in the frunk liner)
4. Carbon Fiber spoiler was missing
5. Ambient lighting in the rear passenger side door was behaving differently than the rest of the car
other minor issues and requests (cargo net for frunk, etc)

Since the wheels were wrong, I VIN verified it was the right vehicle as my first act when the car arrived at my house. The flat bed driver was surprised I didn't refuse delivery, but I was careful to make sure that all discrepancies were documented and that any further issues I found were added into the list that became part of an email chain.

All the issues were fixed within 7 days of delivery. The vehicle was initially delivered 5/23 and was 100% as of 5/29. I had paint correction and nanocoating (cQuartz) done over that weekend, so the car was fully done on 5/31. The paint came out better than expected given that there were issues to be worked out there as well, but my expectations of paint quality were not super high as this is a used car.

Tesla service is great. The sales process was clunky, and even though the CPO process was new, I would have thought that it would have been a bit more sorted out prior to launch.

- - - Updated - - -

As a lower number VIN car, there are the following things:

No autopilot
No parking sensors (although the back-up camera and lines work well)
No power folding mirrors
Performance seats, not next gen seats

I don't view any of these as a big deal, except for the seats. I expect that autopilot will take years to really come into its own, and probably with a gen 2 or gen 3 of autopilot hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

Advice: Print out and USE the Nick Howe checklist for delivery.

Read and understand the checklist before the delivery so you can go through it at a reasonable speed as it is pretty long.

Tesla Model S Buyers', Delivery and Owners' Guide

Last edited:
I was just told I'd be slapped with an additional $700 charge (due to extra miles on the MS) because my CPO car took 5 weeks to get here.

You didn't say how many miles were on, and then added to your car?

"500" is the limit, but I'm not sure Tesla is being clear enough about that. This is a cumbersome process, with what sounds like many 3-5 week deliveries, on 1 week appraisal expirations. I guess people who depend on their cars are supposed to guestimate their odometer, "plus a month"? I can see both sides, and hope Tesla didn't slap you for 600, or 700 miles.