Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received my email registration confirmation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oneday

Nov 29, 2014
Bay Area
I received my email confirmation a couple weeks back.

I'm curious to see who else received confirmation emails and what the date was that they received it.

Maybe this can give me an idea of my position on the wait list?

It was also interesting to note that they said, "When your Powerwall is available, a certified installer will contact you to schedule an installation appointment."

I'm more of the DIY type, but guess this wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I do want to purchase a few though, one for my rv and a couple for an off grid property in the mountains where I currently just use a generator.

No solar city install. I was contacted about a month ago via email and telephone by Solar City. I told them that I was NOT interested in a SolarCity install but I still wanted to buy a Power wall. Then 2 weeks ago that is when I got the email directly from Tesla confirming my registration. Personally I don't see why I can't just buy a power wall individually and install it myself for my RV.

No solar city install. I was contacted about a month ago via email and telephone by Solar City. I told them that I was NOT interested in a SolarCity install but I still wanted to buy a Power wall. Then 2 weeks ago that is when I got the email directly from Tesla confirming my registration. Personally I don't see why I can't just buy a power wall individually and install it myself for my RV.

Powerwall needs specific home inverters to function. It is also a 400v system. Not transportation friendly.

I don't know how much power you need for your RV, but there are some 48V Dc 120V AC inverters you can find for under $2,000 and Lithium batteries can be purchased for $400/kWhr.

Well the power wall is $350 a kwhr and comes with the charge controller to hook into my existing 1.5kw solar on the roof.

I know I can make the power wall work perfect for my rv.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to deal with the 400v dc but I was thinking of using this: The Flatpack2 DC/DC 260-400V/48V 3000W Converter enables a high efficiency end to end DC power solution for data centers. It converts the 380VDC bus voltage down to 48VDC with an efficiency of 98.2%. FP2 380/48V DC Converter - eltek.com

I have two 48v air conditioners that I've been waiting to replace the two existing a/c air conditioners with. That right there just about maxes out the power wall. Add in my 12v fridge and lighting and I'm done.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly though I wrote this post to find out when other people received email confirmations from Tesla to maybe judge my place in line. Has anyone received one???

The technical details are in my opinion the easy (and fun) part. There is always a way no matter how much nay-saying. I'd assume to do all the work myself but I'll also have it installed by a certified installer if required.

Also to note - I reserved the night of the presentation.

Last edited:
Well the power wall is $350 a kwhr and comes with the charge controller to hook into my existing 1.5kw solar on the roof.

I know I can make the power wall work perfect for my rv.

You would also need another DC-DC converter to meet the minimum requirements of the charge controller, as well as an AC-DC converter to charge from 110v shore power. A 400v battery pack is charged at >400v.

The software in the inverter controls the output of the powerwall, so you would need to get an off-grid inverter designed for the powerwall. Solaredge should have one later next year.

The powerwall will only be sold through certified installers. Unless a vendor's employee can be bribed, they will never install in an RV. Eventually a few powerwalls will show up on ebay. But these won't be warranted by Tesla, which is a significant part of the value.

Lithium battery subsystems built for boats and RV's, on the otherhand, are 48v and are designed to not be damaged by vibration.

Last edited: