Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Musk & JB show visits Edison Electric Institute 2015 Conference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some new information within:

Elon Musk and JB Straubel share their vision on energy (2015) - YouTube

JB - "We would be disappointed if battery prices weren't in the... $100 range by the end of the decade."

Elon calls LA Times "*******s" at about 52 minutes, says article was "not journalism" and a "disgrace to the LA Times."

Overview:
00:00. Why SpaceX and Tesla
02:10. Communalities between SpaceX and Tesla
05:25. Company (meeting) culture
12:05. Disruption & sustainable energy
17:22. Nuclear vs. solar
19:35. Future of electric
22:40. Supercharger explained
31:30. EV needs for success
34:40. Battery manufacturing
36:35. Powerwall
36:35. Powerwall
42:00. Powerpack benefit for the utilities sector
49:05. Elon blasts the L.A. Times - calls them *******s (52:08)
53:17. Toys for the wealthy
59:10. Future projects

Last edited:
I thought the stuff about the meeting culture in the beginning was really interesting. The "rules" Elon uses for his meetings make a lot of sense, but unfortunately are not used by the majority of companies, at least in my experience.

I thought the stuff about the meeting culture in the beginning was really interesting. The "rules" Elon uses for his meetings make a lot of sense, but unfortunately are not used by the majority of companies, at least in my experience.

Right. Try getting up and leaving in the middle of your next meeting. Leon looked (and sounded) tired, didn't he?

I thought it was interested that Straubel stated he would be disappointed if cell costs haven't fallen to around $100 per kWh by around 2020. Maybe he or Musk have said that before but that low of a price by 2020 was news to me. Typical industry estimates seem to be around $150-200 or higher for around 2020.

I think that is news, we've never heard them talk about prices that low that soon.

$100/kWh is the holy-grail price where even economy uncompromised EV's are price-competitive without subsidy and ignoring TCO against gas vehicles. Heck, $250/kWh for the Powerpack is set to change the utility and commercial landscape today, and now they're talking about being at a cost that's 2-1/2 times cheaper in 5 years?

They're going to need a couple more Gigafactories, and the other auto manufacturers? Well, I'm not sure what's going to happen to them, but odds are it won't be pretty...

I thought it was interested that Straubel stated he would be disappointed if cell costs haven't fallen to around $100 per kWh by around 2020. Maybe he or Musk have said that before but that low of a price by 2020 was news to me. Typical industry estimates seem to be around $150-200 or higher for around 2020.

Elon stated it (with JB concurring) on the Q2 or Q3 earnings call last year. It is interesting how the public psyche needs to hear unexpected things like this numerous times before it sinks in. Visionaries like Elon have to live among a lot of doubt and disbelief and ignorance, and still press on.