Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Benefits (if any) over Std NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that like to leave the mobile connector in the car, the options are buying a second mobile connector for $650 and using with a NEMA 14-50 or buying the HPWC for $750 and having it installed. If someone already had a NEMA 14-50, they would probably buy a second mobile connector, but if not, perhaps the HPWC is a better option.

In my opinion:

• Longer cable
  • Permanent/hard-mounted installation
  • Capable of greater power delivery
  • Better cable management
  • Looks cooler :wink:

The cable that comes with the car is called the Universal Mobile Connector for a reason... it's designed such that it can be easily moved about and taken with you for on-the road charging. I, for one, never want to be without the ability to charge on the road, hence I always want a UMC in the car.

For me, that would mean having to unplug it, coil it up and stow in the trunk, uncoil at home to pug back in to wall and then car, etc... every day. A lot of work, and I suspect the wear and tear will show itself at some point.

While there's nothing that prevents you from buying a second UMC and leaving it permanently plugged in at home, I find that the there are some less-optimal things about that: the plug head is rather long, and I don't care for the stress that puts on the secondary pins of the head. And I don't car for the unsupported weight of the EVSE module dangling from the plug.

Some folks have come up for work-arounds for this, but quite frankly, the HPWC is now only a bit more than a second UMC, and has the advantages outlined above... which makes it a bit of a no-brainer.

The cable that comes with the car is called the Universal Mobile Connector for a reason... it's designed such that it can be easily moved about and taken with you for on-the road charging. I, for one, never want to be without the ability to charge on the road, hence I always want a UMC in the car.

For me, that would mean having to unplug it, coil it up and stow in the trunk, uncoil at home to pug back in to wall and then car, etc... every day. A lot of work, and I suspect the wear and tear will show itself at some point.

That depends on each person's lifestyle and where and how much they drive. I leave my mobile connector hanging on the wall in my garage, because I don't ever come close to using my full range in a day's driving, so I never have to charge anywhere away from home. I only put the cable in the car when I am going out of town on a trip, and that is maybe three times a year.

Fewer connections that could become a fire hazard.

Hands down the #1 reason to install the HPWC as all other reasons including cost are irrelevant.

A hardwired device manages the branch circuit connection/splices internal to the electrical enclosures.

The UMC has unenclosed connections at the receptacle and adapter and both are subject to usage fatigue that will not be contained when the contact failure occurs.

The HPWC is a 80 amp rated permanently installed device and the UMC is 40 amps mobile cord & plug device; therefore, the HPWC would be significantly more robust when used at the same charging current (1/2 the HPWC rated current).

The HPWC is UL Listed (UMC is not); that means the HPWC is designed to the UL standard (safety standard for insurance Co.) for the EVSE and if anything should ever go wrong within the HPWC that causes a hazard/fire a follow-up investigation by UL will most likely be performed.

Also, since the Tesla is most often charged at home daily, during the night - unattended - while I sleep, I want the most robust charging system available to protect my garage, Tesla, home and life.