Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D (pre/post April) ride performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I currently have a P85 and looking at an opportunity to move to a P85D. I've read through the other thread/threads that state the first builds to have a "stiffer/harsher" ride. Seems like it has been confirmed that all the cars (post April) now have the same suspension components. Assuming this was done to help with sourcing components, scaling manufacturing, etc.

I have recently driven both a newer version and a P85+ loaner. Loved the way both cars felt, but the P85+ (IMO) seemed to be connected to the road better.

I guess my question is how much of the + performance has been removed on the newer builds and it is worth trying to find an inventory P85D built in 1Q 2015.

Appreciate your comments/feedback.

Last edited:
Yes it seems the sportier type of suspension is now gone. I drove a P85D and it felt very wobbly compared to my P85+. If you want a firmer ride I guess the way to go is coil suspension now, but it has to be lowered a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the pre-april built P85D will be very sought-after, since the P85Ds now come with inferior/softer suspension. Why would anyone want to have a mighty P85D with soft suspension? Very much like the old P85 with air vs the P85+.
And why don´t Tesla include adjustable damping air suspension?

So Tesla can make another option and charge you $15k for a P85D+.

Yes it seems the sportier type of suspension is now gone. I drove a P85D and it felt very wobbly compared to my P85+. If you want a firmer ride I guess the way to go is coil suspension now, but it has to be lowered a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the pre-april built P85D will be very sought-after, since the P85Ds now come with inferior/softer suspension. Why would anyone want to have a mighty P85D with soft suspension? Very much like the old P85 with air vs the P85+.
And why don´t Tesla include adjustable damping air suspension?

I have a May P85D and the suspension feels like earlier P85Ds I've driven, which is much stiffer than other models. It's also stiffer than many German sport sedans' suspensions and stiffer than my Cadillac CTS-V with MR dampers in "tour" mode. Where is this data coming from about a change for the P85D? Tesla confirmed my car has the sport suspension, and I thought there were known different part numbers?

This thread has some useful info: P85D Ride too Harsh? - Page 4

With a pretty definitive parts list posted by Dennis87:
Suspension2.PNG

P85D produced after april 30 do have the same air shocks, sway bar and air modules as the 70D and 85D.
Before april 30 that was different. The parts number is now the same on P85D as it always have been on 85D.

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

The info about sport suspension in P85D has also been removed from the design studio.

I haven't seen anything indicating sway bars, or the springs themselves are the same, across D's. Where did you get that from? Odds are the larger rear motor had them tweak up the rear spring rates, too. FWIW, I think the shocks are oil/gas, but since those are the same part number, and sold as one in the SAS cars, the 85D and P85D have the same damping rate. Again, spring rate could still be different as the part # for the coil spring, that is still a part of the air suspension, is separate.

Anyone who cares to take a caliper to their sway bar(s) and report back, is welcome to. It would be nice to see this type of data keep piling up in Lola's original thread:
[lolachampcar] Performance Upgrade Efforts

I still think it is remarkable how Tesla achieved what I find to be decent vertical compliance, yet kept the coil P85D laterally stiff.

So,
1. Info regarding sport suspension specific to the P85D has been removed from design studio,
2. Subjective reports that the P85D suspension is much stiffer pre-april, and softer post-april,
3. Data from the model S parts catalogue indicate the suspension is same in P85D as in 70D and 85D,

...and you STILL think the suspension is different in P85D?

what evidence do you provide supporting that???

Built post April or ordered post April?

I ordered in feb, my order is fixed such as rear next gen seats, so I'm assuming that applies to suspension components on my air too??

Uk customer hence the very long wait.

Ps
l would be annoyed at receiving a wollowy car with such high performance. It needs stiffer suspension to maintain stability and handling to match the speed.

I didn't mean to cause confusion and delay.... After driving the P85+ loaner, one of the folks at the SC told me that the + components were being phased out. Now, what I don't know is how many/how long did Tesla put these parts in the first run of P85Ds. I really have no idea. Factor in the removing the staggered 21" setup may coincide with this change also.

I know driving a May build P85D last week, did feel a little different. It's not apples to apples, so it may be a moot point.

Don't want to stir anything up if this is a non factor.

Concensus is the P85D suspension is too firm, but at the same time there are multiple people having issues with their air suspensions.

So,
1. Info regarding sport suspension specific to the P85D has been removed from design studio,
2. Subjective reports that the P85D suspension is much stiffer pre-april, and softer post-april,
3. Data from the model S parts catalogue indicate the suspension is same in P85D as in 70D and 85D,

...and you STILL think the suspension is different in P85D?

what evidence do you provide supporting that???

Niclas, You are extrapolating a lot from a single part number. Suspensions have many parts, and you are the one claiming they are all the same. You were kind enough to paste a reference for the air spring units. If you did the same for springs and sway bars, I'd begin to agree. As it stands, other changes like ball joints vs. bushings can also influence feedback.

Over time, I think more than a few of us have begun to see the Design Studio as "maybe, maybe not". I'd much rather see additional part numbers or actual measurements.

If anyone wants to trade my pre april(built in March with 3500 miles on it) suspension for the their post april suspension, let me know :) I like stiff. I've always gone for the performance packages with the stiffer suspension (Z51 on the corvette for instance) but my March P85D is over the top washboard / go cart stiff. Perfect for a smooth track. No so good on typical Calofornia roads. The P85+ loaner I had was perfect.

If anyone wants to trade my pre april(built in March with 3500 miles on it) suspension for the their post april suspension, let me know :) I like stiff. I've always gone for the performance packages with the stiffer suspension (Z51 on the corvette for instance) but my March P85D is over the top washboard / go cart stiff. Perfect for a smooth track. No so good on typical Calofornia roads. The P85+ loaner I had was perfect.

Would be cool if some of us who have P85Ds that were delivered around the same time, have firm suspension, and *love* it were able to meet up with you and have us all see what the differences, if any, are in the feel. Whether it really only comes down to preference, or if there's differences in the first builds too (or a problem vs. a planned build difference).

Maybe at one of the Tesla events coming up, or a local club event? Seems like there is definitely a difference in the D's being made now. Thanks to my December "black hole" build, I missed the heated wheel and LTE, but sure am glad I got this suspension, from what I hear.