Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen Unresponsive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Currently on a road trip from the Toronto area to the Chicago area. Just as I arrived at my destination in the Chicago area yesterday, my 17" touchscreen became unresponsive to touch and there was an error message on the dash below the speedo that said something like "Touchscreen Error - Contact Tesla Service". I noticed that if I used the steering wheel controls to pause and play the audio that the pause/play icon on the screen would change -- so the screen wasn't frozen, I just couldn't make it do anything with my finger.

So I tried re-booting and it came back to "life" working as before. Little worried about the trip home because you kinda do need the screen to be able to operate a lot of the car's functions.

Should I be worried? Anyone else seen anything like this? One time glitch maybe?

Happened to me yesterday afternoon when I got in car and started it. Quick call to service desk and I was informed on how to reboot the screen. Came back fine. Looks like a software bug which should be corrected in a future release I suspect.

It happened to me twice in a short span last year in the fall and hasn't happened since ... I wouldn't worry too much as it is probably just a sw bug. However it would be prudent to inform the SC so they can pull the logs to double check.

Currently on a road trip from the Toronto area to the Chicago area. Just as I arrived at my destination in the Chicago area yesterday, my 17" touchscreen became unresponsive to touch and there was an error message on the dash below the speedo that said something like "Touchscreen Error - Contact Tesla Service". I noticed that if I used the steering wheel controls to pause and play the audio that the pause/play icon on the screen would change -- so the screen wasn't frozen, I just couldn't make it do anything with my finger.

So I tried re-booting and it came back to "life" working as before. Little worried about the trip home because you kinda do need the screen to be able to operate a lot of the car's functions.

Should I be worried? Anyone else seen anything like this? One time glitch maybe?

I had the same thing happen a month back and when I informed the service center...they could not find anything and they recommended rebooting and has not happened after that...