Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago to Boston and back in 48 Hours flat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^Not quite. They only made it to Greenwich CT, 180 miles from Boston. A trip like that should be a lot easier once the Supercharger infrastructure is filled out.

It does raise the question: which is faster, driving at high speed and charging a bit longer or driving more slowly and cutting down the charge time? There must be an optimum speed for a given set of conditions, say: bottom half of the battery, the power available at the next Supercharger station, on relatively level terrain in mild weather. Someone here must have done the experiment.

It varies with the distances involved. This post is probably my favorite because of the easy to grasp graphical rendition.
Interesting! I wouldn't have guessed that higher driving speeds would be so favorable on the typical 80-120 mile hops between Superchargers, given the increase in drag.

The optimum trip time would also vary with smaller battery size, given the reduced amount that can be charged at higher kW rates. I'm curious how it will shake out with the Model 3 and what I presume will be a battery in the 55-60 kWh range.