Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Strasburg, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed at Supercharger.info we're getting a SuC at 119 Hite Ln in Strasburg, VA. I wasn't aware that one was coming, but in my opinion Tesla made an excellent placement for this Suc. It's at the west end of 66 and right off 81 for those making the North/South run. If you're South heading to the DC area or points south via 95, it will only take a quick stop in Strasburg to rejoin the 95 corridor.

I'm curious...on what basis do we think a supercharger is going into this location? supercharge.info shows no permits have been pulled, but the Tesla wesbite does show a supercharger operational near this area by the end of 2015. Not questioning anyoen's sources...just did not see any info on permits or local media announcements. Or did I miss something in another thread?

Tesla to build new charging station in Strasburg | The Northern Virginia Daily: News and Sports coverage in Winchester and Shenandoah, Frederick, Warren and Clarke counties

Strasburg might soon host Tesla Motors’ first charging station in the region.

The Planning Commission this week approved changes to the existing site plan for the Denny’s restaurant at 119 Hite Lane, off U.S. 11. The changes call for the inclusion of a Tesla Supercharger station at the rear of the property near the Hite Lane entrance.
The California-based manufacturer of electric cars has Superchargers in Woodbridge, Glen Allen north of Richmond, South Hill and in Hagerstown, Maryland. The Strasburg station would be the first in the Northern Shenandoah Valley.
The Strasburg area falls in line with the company’s expansion plan to “energize” Interstate 81 to Chattanooga, Tennessee, a spokeswoman stated by email Thursday.

The Supercharger stations charge the Tesla Model S and provide up to 120 kilowatts of power and a driving range of 170 miles in 30 minutes. The stations are specifically for use with Tesla vehicles.
Tesla chooses locations approximately 150 miles from each other and in places that offer amenities to car owners, such as dining, restrooms, shopping or walking, according to information from the spokeswoman. Tesla announced the technology in late 2012 and has installed 400 stations worldwide.

The company doesn’t provide an estimated time when it expects to build and open the station this early in the project work, the spokeswoman said.
Denny’s owns the property and has given Tesla permission to use the space for the charging station, Planning and Zoning Administrator Wyatt Pearson said Wednesday. Tesla proposes to renovate eight parking spaces behind Denny’s at no cost to the restaurant, Pearson said.
“The idea is that it provides them with more service, so if someone would get off the interstate, charge their car and come in to Denny’s and eat,” Pearson said.

Tesla needs to submit the final plans before the project can move forward. Also, Tesla must remove two trees in order to place the Supercharger hardware and transformer. The trees would be relocated to other places on the Denny’s site. Charge posts will be located at the front of the parking spaces, connected by cables under the pavement to the transformer. Tesla proposed installing a wooden fence to house the charging equipment with a gate for secured access and concrete bollards to protect the station from collisions.

Tesla representative Beau Whiteman, regional project manager for Supercharger, presented information to the Planning Commission.
Tesla drivers who use the charging station will enter from Hite Lane and then exit via a one-way route from the parking lot to U.S. 11, Pearson explained.
The applicant requested two exceptions to the requirements outlined in the Unified Development Ordinance. The charging station area encroaches the 50-foot setback in the rear of the property. The ordinance requires the setback for a development in the Highway Commercial District adjacent to a residential property. Additionally, the applicant proposed an 8-foot-high fence whereas the ordinance limits the height to 6 feet.

The Planning Commission granted the exceptions. Pearson pointed out that a 50-foot-high retaining wall places the installation of the station far above the residential district behind the property. Also, an 8-foot fence would more effectively screen a large, electrical transformer. Placing the structure in the rear of the property also helps keep the station area far from the residential district.

Contact staff writer Alex Bridges at 540-465-5137 ext. 125, or [email protected]

I spoke with the Planning and Zoning Administrator and he confirmed that the site plan has been approved for a Tesla Supercharger at Denny's in Strasburg.

There is no construction happening yet.

Lanny

YES! First footprint on the I-81 corridor. Hopefully will make its way down South (Lexington, Wytheville) and I-64 in Cville, too. Thanks for the sleuthing!
Claire

Although not technically on I-81, the Knoxville Supercharger is pretty close to the Southern end of I-81. That must count for something. There is also, Hagerstown, MD and Syracuse, NY.

Kingston, ON with Syracuse, NY have the North end covered; Hagerstown, MD and Strasburg, VA hold down a middle portion; Knoxville, TN has the Southern end; now there are a few more dots needed to complete I-81...

Last edited:
Glad they are starting to fill in I-81. A better location not to far away would have been at exit 6 on I-66 just east of I-81 (8 miles from permit site in Strasburg). Lots more to do at the I-66 location; Strasburg has Denny's (thanks to them for the property use) and McDonald's. Anybody driven much on I-81 that can comment on how much charge is used by the hilly terrain?

That is a sweet location! Half way to JMU from NOVA and only 55 miles from my house - headed south down the 81 corridor.

I am headed down to Hiwassee, VA - 267 miles into the de-energized, mountainous SW Virginia corridor. I just bought a CHADEMO Charger last week to insure smooth sailing headed down - I was going to take my gas guzzling SUV, (9 MPG on Super unleaded) but my son asked me not to bring it. Said the Tesla was more comfortable - i can't argue with that...

This is a good location. Helps 81 traffic and 66, and will enable DC traffic to skyline drive. I've taken the MS from NoVA to skyline drive a few times, but have always needed to turn around sooner than I wished to ensure sufficient range to get back home.

Hey Xenoilphobe: There is a Eaton EV Fast Charger (CHADEMO) in downtown Roanoke on Market Street near Salem Ave. I have never used it as I have a HPWC at my house. This charger doesn't appear on ChargePoint or Plugshare. There is level 2 charger at the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

The one on PlugShare is at the Transportation Museum. I don't know why the Eaton fast charger is not listed. But it is at the corner of Salem Avenue and Market Street. Parking is free for one hour. I will try to ride down there soon to make sure it is still working. It went online back in Dec. 2014:

With downtown charging station, Roanoke empowers electric vehicle owners - Roanoke Times: Roanoke News

- - - Updated - - -

With downtown charging station, Roanoke empowers electric vehicle owners - Roanoke Times: Roanoke News

Last edited: