Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger installation problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam Li

Jun 9, 2015
HK
My MS 70D may arrive at Nov and i wish I can get some idea about the charger installation cost and requirement from property management. A little background for my parking, I own a space in a multi-storey car park, and IO generally accepted my apply for a wall charger and the contractor refer by Tesla also quoted me the installation fee around HKD14000 for 50A three/single phase(35M long cable needed) but in the meanwhile since resell the electricity is illegal, property management claimed that they will charge HKD1500/month for electricity cost and ADMIN FEE on top of management fee(HKD300/month). And I think this is the unreasonable part since I will only use roughly HKD400 Max electricity after my calculation (1600KM/month) which is HKD1100 extra for such so call "Admin fee" plus I need bear the cost of insurance for the charger.
So I contacted CLP for any counter purpose and they suggested that they can install a meter for the new rising mains for me to avoid such unnecessary admin fee. But end up management office rejected by the reason of extra space occupation for this meter.

I believe if one day companies still use environment friendly as a tool for making profit and ripping people off, it will be hard to convince driver to change EV. And maybe this is the reason why EV is so hard to be popular in HK even the price is such competitive.

Is anyone here facing the same situation as me? Any solution? please comment

If you search this forum you'll see that I have been ranting about this for months (since last October, took delivery last December). Management companies tend to "not do" anything, or try to rip you off, use up estate budgetary reserve to do something excessive and possibly collaborate with outside contractors to quote you a ridiculous price.

Your quote of $14k is considered reasonable but that doesn't include any work at the supply switchboard and application/installation of a sub-meter just for your charger.

Having said this EV Power (they quoted me a silly price) offers a scheme for you to pay a monthly fee (sliding scale subject to consumption) without spending upfront installation costs. If you live far from superchargers you could consider that. EV Power prefers to work with management companies (my conspiracy theory), not individuals.

Sorry this doesn't sound helpful 'cos I have given up!

Sounds your situation really look like mine. I believe without property management's support or to make strict laws to enforce property management to follow, no matter how hard government promotes or how fast the infrastructure develops, it is still hard to convince general driver to spend extra time on outside chargers which we suppose can have such "Fuel" easily at home/own car park. (but we know we have no choice)
Property management definitely make the whole concept go against the principal of how people use the electric vehicle.

One comment that the electricity supply companies recently brought up.

It is not actually illegal to resell electricity in Hong Kong. It is illegal to resell it without prior approval. Approval is supposedly relatively simple, and achieved by writing into the electricity company with the description of what you are doing, and the rate that you want to sell it at.

One comment that the electricity supply companies recently brought up.

It is not actually illegal to resell electricity in Hong Kong. It is illegal to resell it without prior approval. Approval is supposedly relatively simple, and achieved by writing into the electricity company with the description of what you are doing, and the rate that you want to sell it at.

Thank you for your info, this is the most useful news i heard recently.

Not an immediate measure in this case, to seek cooperation from property management, shall we, as a group, have some liaison with Hong Kong Institution of Surveyors or Hong Kong Institution of Facilities Management promoting the idea of EV? Of course, I am looking forward to some legislation initiated by the government facilitating the installation of EV Chargers.

For contacts of these two professional bodies related to property management, please feel free to PM me.

Just my 2 cents.

Not an immediate measure in this case, to seek cooperation from property management, shall we, as a group, have some liaison with Hong Kong Institution of Surveyors or Hong Kong Institution of Facilities Management promoting the idea of EV? Of course, I am looking forward to some legislation initiated by the government facilitating the installation of EV Chargers.

For contacts of these two professional bodies related to property management, please feel free to PM me.

Just my 2 cents.

The government has already enacted legislation covering new buildings (requiring 30% of car parking spaces to be ready for charging infrastructure, in order to receive plot ratio concessions), but the harder issue of existing buildings has not been addressed.

This is something that charged.hk is working hard on. Please get involved there if you can assist.

Here is charging service plan provided by EV power in my apartment.

Attachments

• EVpower.jpg
    EVpower.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 245
  • EVpower.jpg
    EVpower.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
My apartment use the same company to install the EV charger. But the install fee is 100% paid by the management office, so we don't need to subscribe. Payment is done at management office. 220V 32A 3phase (21kW) for $40 per hour. But you need dual charger in order to get 21kW. Single charger can only takes 10kW but they charge $40 anyway. Good thing is we only have two Tesla here (including mine that I will receive in a few weeks)