Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any StowAway2 owners wondering about range impact on Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I own one of these StowAway2 devices that is probably 70-75lbs. Was thinking it could be useful on a trip if it didn't degrade the mileage very much. Anyone want to venture a guess on the range loss. I was only thinking a 5% or less.

More pictures and their website: Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier | StowAway2.com

Stowaway2_MAX_Sw_4a4a6821371d3.jpg

TYKBcnL.png

From tsw4life's thread see underlined in regards to range. Seems like it was not noticiable by comparision to my roadtrip experience in my X (10K miles roadtripping) -- NOTE you can to go this thread by clicking on the red up arrow next to "tsw 4life said:"

In terms of impact on range, it's hard for me to say for sure, because I've never taken the X on that route before, and there were a lot of variables that likely also played into my range during the trip: temperatures of 100º-110º on the drive through the desert, heavy side-to-side wind, etc. I did need to charge at each stop for about 25 minutes, and the total trip distance was about 250 mi. I arrived in Laughlin with about 30 miles of range left.

The carrier had no impact on how it felt to drive the X, you couldn't feel it back there, except when backing up (rear camera view blocked of course).

On the trip out, I let the X automatically put me into full trailer mode, which disables Autopilot, and only radar-assisted cruise control is operational. On the way back I decided to manually turn off trailer mode to allow for Autopilot, but I disabled automatic lane changing, as I deemed that was the only real Autopilot-related risk with a longer tail and impeded rear sensors. Used AP for most of the trip back with no issues at all (manual lane changes).

Since the X still detected that something was connected to it electronically, it still shows the trailer dash light, but in orange instead of blue, to let you know that trailer mode is technically off, though the blinkers/brake lights should still function.

Ok, I thought you had used the stowaway box on your Tesla and the removable hitch...
My initial post was from 2015 before my Sig X was ever out. I would definitely use it if I needed the room. It has brake lights as well but if I recall correctly you can still see the vehicles (Ford Expedition before) brake lights. I would probably not use the boxes brake lights if it disabled autopilot. I pulled a flat bed trailer 350 miles with short sidewalls and as I recall I could only use TACC.