Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio system features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yonki

Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2015
Pacific Grove, CA
I'm trying to decide between the base audio system and the Ultra High Fidelity Sound system. While there are many "is UHFS worth the money?" threads, I didn't find clear answers to many of my questions, so I hope this thread can fill in that gap.

What are the differences between the audio systems at the touchscreen interface level? From what I can piece together, UHFS adds a "Dolby" mode and a 3-band equalizer. Is that correct? Are there any other UI differences between the packages? Are there really just 11 volume settings?

Hardware-wise, it sounds like there are only speaker-level outputs, no line-outs. Correct? Do we know how many channels the amplifier has? Is there just one fader control (front/rear) and one balance (left/right), or is there also a subwoofer volume adjustment?

The Tesla website says they support MP3, AAC, and MP4 formats. Apparently they also support FLAC (thank goodness). How about ogg or wav? Are there any other formats supported that are not mentioned?

Apparently music with > 2 channels (4.0, 5.1, etc.) is not supported. I wonder if the hardware is incapable or if a software upgrade might someday enable that...

If you order the stock audio system, do the wires exist for the additional UHFS speakers (particularly the subwoofer)? I know that's the case for many ICE cars - they use the same wiring harness for all audio options.

Has Tesla or anyone else created an overhead "map" showing where the 12 speakers (UHFS) or the 7(?) speakers (standard) are located in the car?

Any answers/additions/corrections appreciated. I'd be happy to add an "Audio" page to the Wiki with all this information (assuming I have permission). Thanks.

What are the differences between the audio systems at the touchscreen interface level? From what I can piece together, UHFS adds a "Dolby" mode and a 3-band equalizer. Is that correct? Are there any other UI differences between the packages? Are there really just 11 volume settings?

I only have the standard system but can tell you that I do have the three-band equalizer as well. I do not have the Dolby mode.

I don't have answers to any of the other questions, but at least that will get you started.

I'm trying to decide between the base audio system and the Ultra High Fidelity Sound system. While there are many "is UHFS worth the money?" threads, I didn't find clear answers to many of my questions, so I hope this thread can fill in that gap.

Its worth it if you like bass at all in your music. You will be very disappointed in the standard sound.

The Dolby mode is only for UHF, after listening to it with Dolby on you will wonder why the option is even there. It does not sound good. The volume goes to 11 on each version, with about 4 levels per increment.

Hardware-wise, it sounds like there are only speaker-level outputs, no line-outs. Correct? Do we know how many channels the amplifier has? Is there just one fader control (front/rear) and one balance (left/right), or is there also a subwoofer volume adjustment?

You can adjust the bass which causes the sub to be much more active. Not sure about speaker level outputs etc..

The Tesla website says they support MP3, AAC, and MP4 formats. Apparently they also support FLAC (thank goodness). How about ogg or wav? Are there any other formats supported that are not mentioned?

Never have tried OGG, and who uses WAV ;)

Apparently music with > 2 channels (4.0, 5.1, etc.) is not supported. I wonder if the hardware is incapable or if a software upgrade might someday enable that...

Didnt know that...

If you order the stock audio system, do the wires exist for the additional UHFS speakers (particularly the subwoofer)? I know that's the case for many ICE cars - they use the same wiring harness for all audio options.

Nope it does not, also there is no upgrade path.. Here is an email I sent regarding it ..

Email Sent to Tesla..
My car has the standard sound system, over the course of the last few months of ownership I have been disappointed in the sound quality especially with the lack of bass. Is there an upgrade that tesla offers to upgrade the standard sound? If not is there a recommendation as to what to look for in the aftermarket?
Tesla Motors - Annual Report
"... Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results"[/SIZE]

Response

Hello Mr. Majerus,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors technical support. We are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your factory stereo system. Unfortunately at this time Tesla does not offer an upgradeable stereo after you have taken delivery of the vehicle.

Has Tesla or anyone else created an overhead "map" showing where the 12 speakers (UHFS) or the 7(?) speakers (standard) are located in the car?

Did you look at the site? This is directly from the option on the site..
ui_option_sound_package_ultra_high_1_medium.jpg

Any answers/additions/corrections appreciated. I'd be happy to add an "Audio" page to the Wiki with all this information (assuming I have permission). Thanks.

My suggestion go to the store and listen to each. Compare a new standard to a new UHF. You do not want to be disappointed when you get into a UHF car when your Standard car is in for service.

Thanks for all the answers, people (Teslites? has anyone coined a term for Tesla lovers?) - I'm writing up an audio FAQ that I will add to the wiki.

The Dolby mode is only for UHF, after listening to it with Dolby on you will wonder why the option is even there.
I read that a lot of people think it's much improved with 6.2, though it seems they're still on the fence about using it. I've heard an audio "enhancer" (not an EQ) that actually enhances music.

The volume goes to 11 on each version, with about 4 levels per increment.
Good, so it's more like 44 discrete volume levels.

Never have tried OGG, and who uses WAV ;)
I've been using ogg for portable devices for years - much better quality than mp3 for the same bitrate, and it does gapless tracks bit-perfect (like FLAC) so Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, etc. all sound flawless.

Only put WAV in there to be complete. Wouldn't expect anyone to use it, but I bet it's supported...

Tesla Motors - Annual Report
"... Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results"
That's just where they list everything that could ever possibly go wrong with the company. I'm sure aftermarket audio mods are just as safe (or risky) in a Tesla as they are in any other car. OK, the 12V battery is smaller, so if you have an amplifier that doesn't power down properly it would discharge the battery faster in a Tesla.

Will add your "Unfortunately at this time Tesla does not offer an upgradeable stereo after you have taken delivery of the vehicle." quote to the FAQ.

D'OH! I have no idea how I missed that. Will make appt with neurologist asap!

My suggestion go to the store and listen to each. Compare a new standard to a new UHF. You do not want to be disappointed when you get into a UHF car when your Standard car is in for service.
Thanks, I'm pretty sold on the UHFS. Audio quality is important and I'm not sure when/if I'll be tweaking the system myself.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a "rugged"(hi/lo temp) 64GB flash stick, and ripped my CD's as lossless wma, and my DVD-A as FLAC. ripped over 1000 songs, and lots of extra space. Sounds great

Cool, so WMA is supported as well? Curious: why WMA for CDs and FLAC for DVD-A? FLAC works on both (WMA probably does too).

- - - Updated - - -

ui_option_sound_package_ultra_high_1_medium.jpg

Oh - can anyone tell me which speakers aren't there in the standard audio system? (I hope that drawing is not staring me in the face as well...:cursing:)

Cool, so WMA is supported as well? Curious: why WMA for CDs and FLAC for DVD-A? FLAC works on both (WMA probably does too).

Well....I tried a shareware program to rip the DVD-Audios. WMP won't rip them. The program's default output is FLAC. Wasn't a big fan of the program. I used Windows media player to rip the CD's, and ripped them as Lossless WMA. Both play well. I'm not an audio guru, but I did get that FLAC and Lossless WMA were both compatible with the Model S (via some threads on this site), and gave a significantly better sound than MP3, Mp4 etc. They are correct.