Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Geico to get an updated quote in preparation for the arrival of my new 70D and it they did increase my premiums a couple of hundred $ every 6 months the quote is acceptable; however, just for the heck of it, I called a bunch of other insurance providers. Farmers, Allstate, etc and NONE of the want to touch a Tesla.

It's not that the quotes are high, they don't even want to quote me.

I am not even going to talk about the fact that most operators have no clue what a Tesla is. A question is it was made by toyota or ford was very common.

Is anyone else in the NYC area? Is so who do you insure with and what are your premiums?

I called Geico to get an updated quote in preparation for the arrival of my new 70D and it they did increase my premiums a couple of hundred $ every 6 months the quote is acceptable; however, just for the heck of it, I called a bunch of other insurance providers. Farmers, Allstate, etc and NONE of the want to touch a Tesla.

My State Farm agent gave me a reasonable quote inside of 15 minutes. Rate about $700 per 6 months (dropping to about $600 when low mileage is demonstrated), compared to $400+ for our 2011 RX350 valued at about half as much and half as much for my 1999 Econoline work van valued at about $2500.

Did you try Progressive? I'm in NJ paying half of what Geico was asking for.

I have not but will try. Thank you for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

My State Farm agent gave me a reasonable quote inside of 15 minutes. Rate about $700 per 6 months (dropping to about $600 when low mileage is demonstrated), compared to $400+ for our 2011 RX350 valued at about half as much and half as much for my 1999 Econoline work van valued at about $2500.

I am pretty sure we're paying higher rates here on the east coast. I would love to pay $600-700 (or 2x for the year) for full coverage but that's not even close to what I'm getting.

Shade under $3K annually has been the best quote I've had. I haven't ordered / no VIN yet so maybe I'll be able to shave that a little. But mentally I've already chalked it up as (yet another) one those 'it is what it is' things.

Living in Manhattan is a PITA sometimes, but take the good with the bad.

I'm going to be paying about $70 a month with Progressive, but here in Chicago, for 100k/300k/100k with $250 deductibles - really good price it seems. Made sure to choose the non-performance VIN they have (although they couldn't recognize the new VINs yet). Disclaimer as well, that is the rate for the Tesla as a 2nd car (bit of discount on both).

We pay 3600/yr liability with Allstate for 3 BMWs (all ~11-12 years old). Family of 4. Live in the Bronx. No DUI's or suspensions.

Dad (late 50s): 1 cell phone ticket in 2012. No accidents
Mom(late 40s): 1 at-fault accident in 2013. No tickets
Myself (28): 2 not-at-fault accidents in 2014 . No tickets.
Brother(26): 1 not-at-fault accident in 2013. No tickets

Called our agent and she said it'd be 7000 a year for full coverage for the P85D. Seven. Thousand. Dollars.

Called State Farm, Geico and Progressive. All the same. Wat do?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Daddy S
We pay 3600/yr liability with Allstate for 3 BMWs (all ~11-12 years old). Family of 4. Live in the Bronx. No DUI's or suspensions.

Dad (late 50s): 1 cell phone ticket in 2012. No accidents
Mom(late 40s): 1 at-fault accident in 2013. No tickets
Myself (28): 2 not-at-fault accidents in 2014 . No tickets.
Brother(26): 1 not-at-fault accident in 2013. No tickets

Called our agent and she said it'd be 7000 a year for full coverage for the P85D. Seven. Thousand. Dollars.

Ouch indeed.

I have not but will try. Thank you for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure we're paying higher rates here on the east coast. I would love to pay $600-700 (or 2x for the year) for full coverage but that's not even close to what I'm getting.

Orange County insurance rates are likely a good bit more reasonable than New York. I only mentioned rates to show that State Farm is not charging vastly more for a Tesla than a 4-year-old Lexus of half the value.

- - - Updated - - -

Move to New Rochelle? :)

That's astonishing, even for NY. Possibly even higher because it's a performance car?