Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket stereo upgrade options for Roadster 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
I just got my Roadster 2.5 but can already tell I don't like the Alpine system very much. It's ok so I'll probably keep it for a year or so but I'm starting to think about upgrading the system at some point to something with a better navigation system like TomTom (Sony is selling a new system that uses the actual TomTom software). Has anyone done this already? I know the Pioneer top of the line system is supposed to be better, according to the reviews I've read, than Alpine so I wish Tesla would have used that instead.
The alpine system is horrible it's just that my $250 TomTom is much easier to use and better than the Alpine (although that's the case with almost all factory navigation systems being beat my cheap portable navigation systems).

Can you get the 2.5 with the double-DIN dash opening without buying the full Alpine package? Having the single DIN dash is a serious limitation on what you can put in later.

I don't think you can but am not sure. That's why I went ahead and ordered the Alpine unit so I could upgrade to a similar double-din system down the road.

If you want to change the stereo you have to contact Tesla first. They will have to approve the new unit first (in terms of radiation, power consumption,...). You will void the warranty if you change the stereo without Tesla's approval.

That's the answer i got from Tesla when i asked the stereo question...

Yes, RF emissions or EMR (electromagnetic radiation).

Its covered in the manual under:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1250&d=1294295947.jpg

vehicle_modifications.jpg