Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Not Available unless purchased through Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A purchased a used Tesla Model S privately earlier this year however when I contacted my Tesla Service Center about purchasing the extended warranty (Extended Service Agreement) for the vehicle I was told it was not available for cars purchased from a 3rd party (ie not from Tesla new or CPO). I was a little surprised by this as all the restrictions that I have seen center around the expiry of the new vehicle warranty, which I am still covered under. Has anyone who has purchased a used Tesla Model S privately been able to purchase the extended warranty?

We finally heard back from our Admin team. Unfortunately, Tesla does not allow Extended Service Agreement sale for a vehicle purchased by third party. If there are any changes to this policy our team will reach out to you

A purchased a used Tesla Model S privately earlier this year however when I contacted my Tesla Service Center about purchasing the extended warranty (Extended Service Agreement) for the vehicle I was told it was not available for cars purchased from a 3rd party (ie not from Tesla new or CPO). I was a little surprised by this as all the restrictions that I have seen center around the expiry of the new vehicle warranty, which I am still covered under. Has anyone who has purchased a used Tesla Model S privately been able to purchase the extended warranty?

This would be consistent with their policy of not allowing the purchase of an extended warranty for a CPO car. So if you buy a 2014 CPO car your warranty will run out in 2018 with no way to extend it further. Whereas if you purchase the same car from a private party and the private party has purchased an extended warranty then you'd have warranty coverage until 2022. This would be a factor for someone who wants to purchase a slightly used car with a longer warranty period.

It's a bit surprising that Tesla does not offer an extended warranty to anyone other than the original purchaser of the car. Mercedes for example allows you to extended the warranty of their CPO cars so you can have up to 7 total years of coverage.

It would be nice if they let customers, whether original owner or not, pay to purchase an extended warranty if that is done before the original warranty runs out.

So if I buy an extended warranty from my military CU (as I have done for the last 15 years) Tesla won't accept it for repair work after the basic warranty expires?

In preparation for my upcoming CPO purchase I called my local military CU and they said they would sell me an extended warranty up to 8 years after the original manufactures warranty expires, but I have to buy it with at least ONE month and 1000 miles remaining on the original manufactures warranty period.

If Tesla will accept it for payment of any work needed after the CPO warranty expires I won't mind paying for the slight over lap in coverage as I'd still get about 6 more years of coverage.

Maybe that's one way around this, buy a third party extended warranty.

Last edited:
So if I buy an extended warranty from my military CU (as I have done for the last 15 years) Tesla won't accept it for repair work after the basic warranty expires?

In preparation for my upcoming CPO purchase I called my local military CU and they said they would sell me an extended warranty up to 8 years after the original manufactures warranty expires, but I have to buy it with at least ONE month and 1000 miles remaining on the original manufactures warranty period.

If Tesla will accept it for payment of any work needed after the CPO warranty expires I won't mind paying for the slight over lap in coverage as I'd still get about 6 more years of coverage.

Maybe that's one way around this, buy a third party extended warranty.

I'd be really weary about applying an ICE Extended warranty to an EV. Most ICE policies specifically exclude batteries as it is considered a wear item. If long term warranty coverage is important to you, you may want to express your concerns to tesla or perhaps just buy from a private party with the extended warranty.

I agree with SFOTurtle. I think it is a horrible policy to void the ability to purchase an extended warranty unless you are the original owner. I don't understand why they are doing this as it makes a private party more purchase than a CPO purchase and that makes no sense as Tesla has had the opportunity to inspect CPO cars so they should be able to stand behind those cars better. I know that Mercedes will gladly sell you an extended warranty as long as the car is within the factory warranty period.

I'd be really weary about applying an ICE Extended warranty to an EV. Most ICE policies specifically exclude batteries as it is considered a wear item.

Good tip, while I did specifically tell the rep on the phone it was for a Tesla and stressed it was 100% battery powered, I will re engage and ask for any written documentation, but my military CU warranty rep said I could buy a ZERO deductible 8 year/100K mile warranty. This time I will ask specifically about the battery and associated hardware.

I'll share what I learn. FTR I'm working with the Pentagon Federal CU, been a member since 1974 and they have never offered any questionable info/advice/products/services.

Last edited:
Good tip, while I did specifically tell the rep on the phone it was for a Tesla and stressed it was 100% battery powered, I will re engage and ask for any written documentation, but my military CU warranty rep said I could buy a ZERO deductible 8 year/100K mile warranty. This time I will ask specifically about the battery and associated hardware.

I'll share what I learn. FTR I'm working with the Pentagon Federal CU, been a member since 1974 and they have never offered any questionable info/advice/products/services.

I think you are in for a world of trouble applying a traditional ICE warranty o a Model S. Be careful to read all the fine print along with inclusions and exclusions. I'd only buy one if the sign a rider to the contact that states that they will be offering full coverage for all components of the Model S, including the electronics, display units, drive unit, battery and other electrical components.

Or just buy a private party Model S with the Extended warranty.

IMHO Tesla should charge $4,000 to extend the CPO warranty by another 4 years for 8 years of total coverage as you can already buy a Mercedes CPO with 7 total years of coverage.

Please do share details when you find out. I am also a PenFed member.

I'd be interested as well. I bought mine from a 3rd party and am also financed through PFCU. Thanks!

@tomanik have you heard anything different regarding purchasing the extended service agreement? I placed a call to ownership today and they confirmed that the extended service agreement is still available to 3rd party buyers unless it's a CPO vehicle or the original warranty has expired. Must purchase 30 days before the warranty expires.

@tomanik have you heard anything different regarding purchasing the extended service agreement? I placed a call to ownership today and they confirmed that the extended service agreement is still available to 3rd party buyers unless it's a CPO vehicle or the original warranty has expired. Must purchase 30 days before the warranty expires.

This matches my experience in buying an extended warranty for my used roadster that I acquired from the first owner.
His original warranty had not expired and thus Tesla allowed me to extend it...on a US car imported to Canada!
I'd hope this policy to be the same for Model S as for roadster (not importing, but warrranty wise)

This would be consistent with their policy of not allowing the purchase of an extended warranty for a CPO car. So if you buy a 2014 CPO car your warranty will run out in 2018 with no way to extend it further. Whereas if you purchase the same car from a private party and the private party has purchased an extended warranty then you'd have warranty coverage until 2022. This would be a factor for someone who wants to purchase a slightly used car with a longer warranty period.

It's a bit surprising that Tesla does not offer an extended warranty to anyone other than the original purchaser of the car. Mercedes for example allows you to extended the warranty of their CPO cars so you can have up to 7 total years of coverage.

It would be nice if they let customers, whether original owner or not, pay to purchase an extended warranty if that is done before the original warranty runs out.

Point of information - the CPO warranty is 4 years, 50K miles from the date of CPO delivery. Stated on the Preowned site and verified by several TMC members.

Used to be original warranty +2 years / 100K, then for awhile it was 6 years/100K. New policy began not long after the CPO website went up.

I have exchanged a few communication with Tesla legal to clarify their position on ESA availability on 3rd party purchases as well as to suggest that they add language to their site/agreements to identify that restriction do/may apply. So far no movement on the being authorized or allowed to purchase the ESA. I continue to communicate with the Tesla team and have another year before my warranty runs out so I have time :)

I have exchanged a few communication with Tesla legal to clarify their position on ESA availability on 3rd party purchases as well as to suggest that they add language to their site/agreements to identify that restriction do/may apply. So far no movement on the being authorized or allowed to purchase the ESA. I continue to communicate with the Tesla team and have another year before my warranty runs out so I have time :)

I'm on the same boat. I purchased my P85 from a friend in Canada and I was planning on purchasing the extended warranty. In fact, I felt very confident driving around freely putting miles on my car knowing I could do that until I came across this Thread :-/

Hopefully, there's a workaround.