Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual liftgate operation - Volt vs Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 2015 Model S last Thursday, and was too cheap to pay $3k for the package with the power liftgate in it. I was hoping that the Tesla liftgate would operate like my 2011 Volt. Unfortunately, it takes much more effort to close the Tesla than the Volt. Attached is my comparison video. Hope this helps someone currently in the buying stage considering what the power liftgate vs manual liftgate will mean to them. I still wouldn't buy it, but I do hope Tesla makes the manual option a little easier to use.

[video]https://youtu.be/_LvsSspDz4U[/video]

thanks for the informative video, 5 more days till my order confirmation, makes me wonder if I should be spending 3K for the power liftgate..hard decision!

2011 Volt owner here. I opted for the power liftgate - could have used it this past weekend loading up the folding chairs after the soccer game. Hands full, had to set everything down, dig out my keys, open the trunk and lift everything back into the trunk. Looking forward to my MS LOADED - if you're going to spend this kind of money on a car, I say get EXACTLY what you want. The $3k is 3% of the cost!

thanks for the informative video, 5 more days till my order confirmation, makes me wonder if I should be spending 3K for the power liftgate..hard decision!

I'd opt for it and premium package it comes with. Better resale value in future. Plus definitely convenient and expected on car at this price/level. Plus, never know. They may do something like other brands since they have all the sensors in back, maybe an automated open/close even? -T

Another thing that the power liftgate is good for is that you can set it at a preset height to stop. So if you have a lower roofed garage/carport or something it may hit overhead, you can set it to stop.

I completely agree with Travwill - this is expected on a luxury car like this + better resale value as well.

Your manual liftgate Tesla comes with (2) 630 newton, Stabilus, struts. I'm making progress, trying to obtain a shorter one. 630N is about 140-150lbs of lift force, and there is no reason it can't be swapped out for a few less pounds. What I am discovering is tricky, is that these struts aren't made in uniform increments of lift force and size. I was going to try and come back with some part numbers, for options, but am not quite there. The specification tables are somewhat hard to find.

2011 Volt owner here. I opted for the power liftgate - could have used it this past weekend loading up the folding chairs after the soccer game. Hands full, had to set everything down, dig out my keys, open the trunk and lift everything back into the trunk.

With Tesla's power liftgate you still need a finger or two free to grab the handle to open it up. What we really need is the system where you walk up to the trunk and wave your foot under the bumper to open the lift gate. Maybe there's a patent or something preventing Tesla from implementing that feature.

With Tesla's power liftgate you still need a finger or two free to grab the handle to open it up. What we really need is the system where you walk up to the trunk and wave your foot under the bumper to open the lift gate. Maybe there's a patent or something preventing Tesla from implementing that feature.

Either that, or an improved key fob sensor. If I stand directly behind the liftgate for X seconds, open. Personally, I'd prefer the foot under bumper setup, but other ways they can go if there is a licensing issue around that being patented (if it so is, which is likely it is).

I'm surprised more companies aren't doing that (the only company I've seen is Ford). It seems like a genius idea!

Yeah, it is convenient with the foot wave as you need it when your hands are full. I saw that Lexus is doing it with the new 2016 RX where you wave your hand in front of the Lexus logo, but then again still have to use your hand a bit.

If my hands are full, I don't really like the idea of standing on one foot in some sort of Karate Kid pose and trying to wave the other foot under the bumper. It seems like that could cause someone to lose balance and fall over. I think the hand waving idea is a bit better since you could possibly use the existing rear camera (no new sensors needed) and you'd have a smaller chance of losing your balance. Even if new sensors were needed, I think it would be easier to use my hands instead of balancing on one foot.

If my hands are full, I don't really like the idea of standing on one foot and trying to wave the other foot under the bumper. It seems like that could cause someone to lose balance and fall over. I think the hand waving idea is a bit better since you could use the existing rear camera (no new sensors needed) and you'd have a smaller chance of losing your balance.

And from an efficiency standpoint, they can program the Model S to only be "watching" the camera when the fob is in range rather than 24/7. The latter wouldn't make sense anyway since if the car is locked, the trunk shouldn't open.

I picked up my 2015 Model S last Thursday, and was too cheap to pay $3k for the package with the power liftgate in it. I was hoping that the Tesla liftgate would operate like my 2011 Volt. Unfortunately, it takes much more effort to close the Tesla than the Volt. Attached is my comparison video. Hope this helps someone currently in the buying stage considering what the power liftgate vs manual liftgate will mean to them. I still wouldn't buy it, but I do hope Tesla makes the manual option a little easier to use.

[video]https://youtu.be/_LvsSspDz4U[/video]

One or more of the stoppers are probably set out too far. Mine closes much easier than what you are showing but I've had multiple mis-adjusted stoppers that were too far in, causing a different issue. A warning, don't just adjust them all the way in because the liftgate could make contact with the bumper and leave a mark. I created this thread to assist with stopper adjustment.

Quick reference to resolving pulsating air issue cause by liftgate

One or more of the stoppers are probably set out too far. Mine closes much easier than what you are showing but I've had multiple mis-adjusted stoppers that were too far in, causing a different issue. A warning, don't just adjust them all the way in because the liftgate could make contact with the bumper and leave a mark. I created this thread to assist with stopper adjustment.

Quick reference to resolving pulsating air issue cause by liftgate

Zarwin is the manual liftgate MAN! (or woman!) Great job!