Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Leasing and Ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Afternoon,

It's been a loooong time since I posted as I was a big advocate in the beginning then my circumstances changed and I was never able to order. Things have changed.

I have a test drive scheduled for Saturday to drive a 85D which I'm uber excited about. The rep in the location I'm working with suggested that I go ahead and put the $2500 down then so that I can lock in the pricing now. I can't take delivery until December when my Silverado lease is up and according to her we can push the delivery out that far. I'm planning on leasing it from Tesla, 12K miles per year. I do have a couple of questions about this process.

1. Can I really push the delivery back to December?
2. If I do, can I still make package changes if\when Tesla adjusts them again before my car goes into production? I realize that once it's in production I can't change anything but I wanted to be clear about that. I wouldn't expect it'd go into production until November sometime which would give me plenty of time...
3. Does anyone have a feel about how the approval process works for leasing? My credit scores are +800 and without getting into details my income exceeds the cash price of the car.
4. When does the approval\application process for the leasing start? When I order or much closer to delivery?
5. The Tesla lease calculator for my area looks like it's complete and such. I have seen some threads about cash due at signing surprises, is this something I should be worried about? I'm in the SF Bay area.
6. Any reason why I should wait to order until much closer to December?

Just want to say ahead of time thank you for your assistance with my questions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Normally I wouldn't do this but... anyone? :)

Thanks,
Jeff

I'll bite.
1. I think your better off waiting until about 3 months prior than you want to take delivery, 4 even is most. You can set delivery to earliest or out a few months it seems at max.
2. From history, it is best to wait as well. At worst Tesla bundles things into more reasonable packages later, may move things into standard features, etc. You'll also avoid having to redo/fix order if some new hardware is released that yours doesn't have (not likely but possible).
3. Lease application is available right after you confirm order and get VIN. Not a must though to do then, as you have to handle financing or lease more so right when your car is building and definitely during delivery. It is a quick easy process for leasing or financing (internally or externally).

No reason to order now again I'd say until a few months before you want delivery in my opinion. Only pros overall.