Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X more an MPV than SUV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dec 22, 2014
UK
I know its going to have AWD, but to me the more I look at it and think about the falcon wing doors and 7 seats, the design and function comes across as an MPV. Anyone else agree? I hope the phrase MPV isn't sacrilegious for a $60k+ car. Maybe I need to see videos of the X being taken off-road like a Jeep or Range Rover, once they are delivered.

MPV Vauxhall Zafira

1110VauxZafTourer1.jpg

vs Range Rover SUV
2014-Range-Rover-Sport-side-view.jpg

SUV doesn't have to be a box, and shouldn't be for a skateboard electric. (Same apllies to any electric pick-up.) SUV is about SU which essentially means cargo, off-road and towing. MPVs are largely about passenger use.

We'll only find out when the X is released.

Believe the SUV acronyms will be appropriate.
Sport handling and performance
Utility for it's greater interior volume
It should perform pretty well off road with it's adjustable height suspension, fantastic low end torque combined with 4 wheel drive
While not a rock crawler, it should provide good capabilities off paved road, and exceptional on road.

I think the towing and accessory (roof rack or alternative) capabilities will define whether it lands in the SUV category. Carry 7 adults and tow a boat to the lake? SUV. 5 adults, two dogs, and three mountain bikes? SUV. If external capabilities are very limited, I think there will be a solid argument for it being an MPV.

I know its going to have AWD, but to me the more I look at it and think about the falcon wing doors and 7 seats, the design and function comes across as an MPV. Anyone else agree? I hope the phrase MPV isn't sacrilegious for a $60k+ car. Maybe I need to see videos of the X being taken off-road like a Jeep or Range Rover, once they are delivered.

MPV Vauxhall Zafira

View attachment 83391

vs Range Rover SUV
View attachment 83392

I think the Vauxhall Zafira (that's Opel for most of the world) is what people in the U.S. might call a minivan, perhaps if it were a little bigger still. Not much ground clearance but higher frame, seven seats, maybe side door on a rail etc. These categories tend to translate a bit poorly over the pond, at times.

That said, I think the concensus is Model X is a cross-over. I think in the U.S. the term CUV or cross-over utility vehicle is sometimes used, in Europe I think merely the word cross-over can be used for this category. Cross-overs are the class between sedans/stationwagons and SUVs.

SUV usually requires a dedicated SUV platform, while cross-overs are offroad-ish versions of sedans and hatchbacks. Model X is - as it has been publicized anyway - an evolution of Model S, a sedan/hatchback. One comparison has been the 2014 Audi (A6) allroad and 2014 Audi Q7. Latter is a proper SUV that started off an SUV platform, Audi allroad was built from the Audi A6. Audi Q7 thus runs much higher and seats taller, whereas Audi allroad has less ground clearance and is more sedan/saloon-ish. (I used the 2014 models to simplify the comparison for various reasons that those who are versed into the Q7 and allroad histories will appreciate.)

There is more talk of the expected ground clearance and some links in my Model X summary:

Is the Model X not that different? - Page 2

- - - Updated - - -

I think so. While not sacrilegious, that term isn't as "sellable" as SUV is though.

Highly dependent on the market, though. SUVs are disliked in places, MPV as a term on the other hand is - I guess - unknown in the U.S., but known in parts of Europe. You'd know the type as a minivan, although I'd say the U.S. concept of minivan is quite alien to the European view of the same. You'd probably consider many of our minivans as microvans. ;)

It is a bit like the stationwagon is a curse word in the U.S. - and a well-loved type of vehicle in the old world. :)

Last edited:
The biggest difference between a MPV and CUV is ground clearance. MPVs typically have a ride height equivalent to a car and smaller car-sized wheels and tires, while CUVs are raised to a ride height closer to that of a SUV with larger wheels and tires. Both are built on car-based platforms and have higher roof lines to increase passenger and cargo space versus a hatchback. MPVs are generally not designed for towing, while CUVs are generally limited to towing lighter Class II loads, if anything.

SUVs are historically truck-based but still used by some manufacturers for vehicles that have moved to car-based platforms such as the Ford Explorer. The distinguishing feature of larger SUVs is that they are capable of Class III towing. Given that Model X is capable of Class III towing, it would not be out of character to call it an SUV, even though the form factor is closer to a MPV or CUV.

The biggest difference between a MPV and CUV is ground clearance. MPVs typically have a ride height equivalent to a car and smaller car-sized wheels and tires, while CUVs are raised to a ride height closer to that of a SUV with larger wheels and tires. Both are built on car-based platforms and have higher roof lines to increase passenger and cargo space versus a hatchback. MPVs are generally not designed for towing, while CUVs are generally limited to towing lighter Class II loads, if anything.

SUVs are historically truck-based but still used by some manufacturers for vehicles that have moved to car-based platforms such as the Ford Explorer. The distinguishing feature of larger SUVs is that they are capable of Class III towing. Given that Model X is capable of Class III towing, it would not be out of character to call it an SUV, even though the form factor is closer to a MPV or CUV.

Nice perspectives there, timf. I would only add the definitions are further muddied where the OP comes from (UK), though, as in Europe many cross-overs may actually be decorated hatchbacks or stationwagons, if anything. Also, Euro-regulations on towing may be different, as in my experience pretty much anything over here is designed for towing at least something, and the difference is not so drastic between the average hatchback, a European CUV or an average European SUV. On average, all our cars are smaller and some cars known as cross-overs in the U.S. (because of their smaller size) are actually considered - quite reasonably - smaller SUVs in Europe because they are not just lifted-up sedans.

I do appreciate your categorization overall, though. That is indeed one good view on the subject. And I agree even SUV and "car" platforms are merging to an extent, even the latest Audi Q7 comes from a multi-purpose platform even though I'd say we can all agree it is an SUV (which I why I left the latest model out from the allroad comparison, just as I would leave out the first allroad from similar comparison for similar reasons).

This is a fine and dandy discussion about how to classify the X. Maybe somebody should tell Elon to stop calling it an SUV then, eh? ;-)

Seriously. I just watched the shareholders meeting and he REPEATEDLY referred to the X as an SUV.

Which was kinda my point above. Sure it's "technically" a CUV, but until the CEO of the company starts calling it one, everyone else will refer to it as an SUV as well.

Cheers!

This is a fine and dandy discussion about how to classify the X. Maybe somebody should tell Elon to stop calling it an SUV then, eh? ;-)

Seriously. I just watched the shareholders meeting and he REPEATEDLY referred to the X as an SUV.

Which was kinda my point above. Sure it's "technically" a CUV, but until the CEO of the company starts calling it one, everyone else will refer to it as an SUV as well.

Cheers!

Indeed. I doubt there has been any question - even before today - that Tesla and Elon have and will market the Model X as an SUV. They have compared it to the Audi Q7, for example. I am not expecting Tesla to plaster the word "cross-over" anywhere. It would send the wrong signal in their mind, especially in the U.S.

That doesn't mean they are technically right or that we here should necessarily follow suit on their terminology, though... ;)

I think it's clear as day. 700HP with a 300 mile all electric range, seats 7 adults, has all wheel drive, a frunk and a trunk with falcon wing doors for easy access to the back row.... It's not an SUV, not a CUV, it's the first XUV - Xtra Utility Vehicle.

I think it's clear as day. 700HP with a 300 mile all electric range, seats 7 adults, has all wheel drive, a frunk and a trunk with falcon wing doors for easy access to the back row.... It's not an SUV, not a CUV, it's the first XUV - Xtra Utility Vehicle.
Hopefully Tesla doesn't start making up stupid xxV marketing terms. That would be just as bad as BMW coining the phrase "Sports Activity Vehicle" (SAV) for the X5, to save face after saying years before "we will never build an SUV"

And when did we start calling minivans "MPV's"? Is that supposed to make them cool? :rolleyes:

@AnxietyRanger you might also like to know we refer to MPVs as "people carriers" and SUV's as "4x4's" or colloquially "Chelsea Tractors" :biggrin:

When I hear SUV I still think off-road 4x4. So if Elon wants to call it an SUV he should release a video of it doing off road stuff...

Last edited by a moderator: