Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Supercharger plans for Des Moines, IA until 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first time poster here. Not a Tesla owner (yet) but enjoy the forum a lot.

Being located in Minneapolis I'm very curious why Tesla does not have plans for a Supercharger in Des Moines, IA until 2016?

Des Moines not only provides a North/South gateway along I35 but also an East/West gateway along I80.

I know Tesla can't build the network out overnight but one would think a geographically significant location like Des Moines would have a station already.

Has anyone inquired and received any sort of response from Tesla?

I don't know why. However, I did contact a few businesses in Des Moines about becoming Destination Charging sites, but never got anywhere with it. If there were an 80 amp HPWC, which Tesla would likely provide for free, that would be a nice stop gap. Council Bluffs came of out nowhere, maybe Des Moines will be the same.

I don't know why. However, I did contact a few businesses in Des Moines about becoming Destination Charging sites, but never got anywhere with it. If there were an 80 amp HPWC, which Tesla would likely provide for free, that would be a nice stop gap. Council Bluffs came of out nowhere, maybe Des Moines will be the same.
I have also tried to get hotels to seek destination chargers and even 14-50s for the past two years but nothing ever happens.

If Tesla put a supercharger in Des Moines it would complete the I-35 from Northern MN to Southern Texas. Please don't wait until 2016.

Probably not the people in SW California, Florida, near Chicago, the Boston and NYC area. If the entire length of an interstate could be covered with one more SC, that is pretty compelling (as Elon would say). If/when southern CA got/gets another SC, it won't really add any benefit, just redundancy.

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Not a Tesla owner (yet) but enjoy the forum a lot.

Being located in Minneapolis I'm very curious why Tesla does not have plans for a Supercharger in Des Moines, IA until 2016?

Des Moines not only provides a North/South gateway along I35 but also an East/West gateway along I80.

I know Tesla can't build the network out overnight but one would think a geographically significant location like Des Moines would have a station already.

Has anyone inquired and received any sort of response from Tesla?

Why build a Supercharger in Des Moines when there is only one other Supercharger in Range on I-80. I think that's the plan for now and why they are doing I-80 all in 2016. One year isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. Council Bluffs, IA got one only to allow for North/South travel along I-29 and because of the Larger Cities I believe.

Why build a Supercharger in Des Moines when there is only one other Supercharger in Range on I-80. I think that's the plan for now and why they are doing I-80 all in 2016. One year isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. Council Bluffs, IA got one only to allow for North/South travel along I-29 and because of the Larger Cities I believe.

I believe this too. Council Bluffs allows north-south travel for this summer between Worthington and Topeka or Independence if one pays attention to speed and weather. So, it made sense to accommodate this route and construct a Supercharger Island, as it were.

In recent months, Tesla seems to be building out long stretches of interstate in clusters. For example, Interstate 80 added Superchargers in Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, West Wendover, Tooele, and Salt Lake over a few months. Interstate 40 started with Shamrock, Santa Rosa, Weatherford, Tucumcari and Albuquerque (which I believe is still under construction.) Similarly, Interstate 10 is nearly complete (working from memory here!) east from Texas to Florida. Interstate 90 saw a flurry of activity from August to November with the addition of the Montana locations.

I would hope then, that Interstate 80 through Iowa and Nebraska will see a similar acceleration of build-outs. Perhaps first across Iowa to be able to reach Chicago and other points east, and then through Nebraska to be able to reach the junction with Interstate 76 and Denver and also to connect to Cheyenne.

Don't be surprised if you start seeing additions to I80 on Supercharge.info late this year. And, no, I do NOT have any inside scoop. Just basing this on recent history.

I suspect they are laying the foundation for the M3. Remember it's supposed to be a 200 mile car, but in the winter it's closer to 140 miles, so they will need to start plugging those HOLES Tesla's like the MS60 and M3 can't make today.

Not sure what kind or real world winter range the X will have but I suspect it'll be under 200 miles.

In recent months, Tesla seems to be building out long stretches of interstate in clusters. For example, Interstate 80 added Superchargers in Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, West Wendover, Tooele, and Salt Lake over a few months. Interstate 40 started with Shamrock, Santa Rosa, Weatherford, Tucumcari and Albuquerque (which I believe is still under construction.) Similarly, Interstate 10 is nearly complete (working from memory here!) east from Texas to Florida. Interstate 90 saw a flurry of activity from August to November with the addition of the Montana locations.
Generally speaking this is a reasonable approach. Tesla doesn't get "credit" for enabling a route until they connect that route from end to end. If they just open up the "N most useful" locations without connecting them to a larger "grid" that offers much less bang for their buck.

I suspect they are laying the foundation for the M3. Remember it's supposed to be a 200 mile car, but in the winter it's closer to 140 miles, so they will need to start plugging those HOLES Tesla's like the MS60 and M3 can't make today.

Not sure what kind or real world winter range the X will have but I suspect it'll be under 200 miles.

You lack the skills, bro. In my blog on winter driving, I get 325 wh/mile in my 60kwh Model S in a road trip scenario in winter, 240-260 in summer. I drove Worthington to Council Bluffs and nailed it, both directions. Furthermore, I raced a P85D from Minneapolis to St. Joseph and lost by a scant .02 minutes per mile, or almost exactly ten minutes over 515 miles, including charging time. Additionally, the P85D was a single driver, whereas I had 4 passengers and accompanying luggage.

If I can get a compelling reason to drive to Texas, I will. And this time, I'll race that P85D driver again and clean up. Oh, and I will do it without the tech / nav package.

Good for you, but that does not apply to most of the tesla Drivers. I could not get the p85d below 400 Wh/mi the entire winter. Best I did in summer is 280 Wh/mi. I don't care about hypermiling, I need the car to drive at allowed speed, with climate on, and without tailgating trucks. That puts the winter range at ~180 miles, and summer range at ~260 miles.