Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new 70D owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have had our baby now for just over 24 hours. To make a loooooong story short I have followed Tesla since I visited the Natick Store and saw the amazing car. I brought the brochure home with me and showed it to my mother-in-law and told her this is going to be our next car. I said it with hope in my voice and dreams in my thoughts. After many months of researching, talking with owners (who are some of the most nicest and welcoming people I have ever met) heck I even went to the opening of Rhode Island SC to meet with other owners w/o owning the car yet, and discussing it with my wife purchased the car. We named it Batmobile, maybe change it to Benmobile after our 7 year old son. It is black upgraded seats with cyclone rims, and autopilot installed. It was an inventory car with everything we needed/wanted and nothing that we didn't. I was the first to test drive a 70D out of the Natick Store the day it came out.
My wife and I are both teachers and I am a very financially sound person and rarely spend money on myself. On our 10th anniversary she surprised me in a card that she will allow this purchase. We got solar panels about a month ago and our 70D will fit perfectly in my sense of going pollution free, at least with one vehicle. I have "launched" her a few times. My son calls it "turbo" !! I live less than 10 miles from the Auburn Supercharger so I will charge there from time to time, my cousin lives close by so I will visit him as well.

Any experiences on the perception that a person with a Tesla is "rich", "snobbish", ect. My wife to a certain degree is worried about how she will be perceived by the public, co-workers and most of all her parents, who are very conservative when it comes to money and can be judgemental when it comes to their children's choices. I look forward to talking to anybody about the movement of going oil free and creating a better world for our children and their children while at the same time driving our family in the safest car on the road that happens to look and drive amazingly.

I look forward to joining Tesla events with owners and sharing driving experiences. There is a car show down the street from us and I look forward to driving there on Thursdays !!! If there are any owners that get together I would love to join in the group dynamic. I ordered the second Nick Howe book, read the first GREAT, and will read it this week.

As far as cleaning, I have had some trouble finding products to do this for the outside and inside, any suggestions?? Thanks so very much to all those owners I have talked to in the past for their input and look so forward to taking her on the road today !!!!!!

Congratulations. Great story, thanks for posting it.

Just tell your in-laws you are doing this for Ben, and also for his children. And enjoy your new car! :smile:

GSP

I haven't really experienced any negative reaction from anyone. Also, I have never given too much weight to what others think. I just try to treat people with courtesy and respect, and don't judge them for the things they own but for their actions. I expect the same from them and if they think differently that's on them.

I think you'll find that most people who know you will be very excited and thrilled for you. Strangers will be interested and want to ask questions.

My employees and family were all super excited for me when I got my car, and they love to tell people that I have one, LOL. I think the all electric part trumps the price tag with most people.

I'm neither rich nor a snob, and I know several other owners who are like me. Enjoy your car, congratulations, and just stop worrying what people will think!

As far as cleaning, I have had some trouble finding products to do this for the outside and inside, any suggestions?? Thanks so very much to all those owners I have talked to in the past for their input and look so forward to taking her on the road today !!!!!!

Try Griots Garage products (Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789) for a good line of DIY products. FWIW, I used them extensively and exclusively before getting OptiCoat on my S. Will do aftermarket coating (probably cQuartz) on my wife's soon-to-be-delivered 70D.

Enjoy!!

Most people will not react negatively to the luxury aspect of your new car, probably because of the combined cool and green factors. However, you are right to be concerned about your fellow teachers. I also am a teacher, and this does tend to be a very judgmental group. We should not need to care what others think, but we do need to get along in these small groups of passionate people. I just emphasize the very low fuel and maintenance costs and the fact that it should last for a very long time.

On the other hand, in the eyes of the students, you just became the coolest teacher ever.