Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot Moments with a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
What are some of your favorite "idiot" moments?

I thought I had read enough on these forums, and elsewhere about the quirks that I figured I'd be saved from them.

But Nope.

On day one I went to my garage to pull the HPWC cord out, but it wasn't turning white. I'd hit the switch and it would start charging again and so I'd push it again. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wasn't releasing. Then it downed on me that I didn't have the key. It wasn't going to let me mess with it without the key. I kinda wish it had a voice like Kit that would tell me to bugger off.

I think I'm going to disable all the auto-present, auto-lock because when it's in my garage I don't want anything locked. I also don't want the key nearby since I believe it causes extra power drain if it's within range. With those on walking around in the garage with the key drove it bunkers.

I'm about to set off to go supercharge it and hopefully no one is there too witness my first attempt. If I manage that then I'll level up and I'll try the Chademo charger. I heard that takes the most getting used to.

Awesome car if you can call that it. I'm not sure what you'd call it. Calling it a car seems to do it disservice. I'm a little torn on my preferred way of driving it on Hwy's, and freeways. On the one hand the throttle/regen control are top notch, but on the other hand the TACC is pretty amazing when it stops behind someone. Sure you can't and should never trust it entirely. But, it's extremely tempting considering our freeways are 70mph or 0-10mph. Often just a few miles from each other.

Last edited:
Create a driver profile called Garage and configure it with handle presentation and auto lock turned off and the seat moved back to make it easier to exit the car.

OH, that's the ticket.

Now I'll have three driver profiles

Drive/Normal
Exit (I have this, but I haven't used it)
Garage

Or I might do as you suggested and put exit and garage into one.

But, that definitely does solve it. Thanks.

On day one I went to my garage to pull the HVAC cord out, but it wasn't turning white.
I also don't want the key nearby since I believe it causes extra power drain if it's within range.

If you're worried about power drain, you might want to turn your home AC setting up while your car is powering it :)
Oh wait, you meant HPWC. Yea, sorry, it was too good to pass up.

My idiot moment happened not long ago, actually.

I was in a hurry and hopped in to back out of my garage and the car started beeping at me. I was like, "What? What do you want?"

I had forgotten to unplug :rolleyes: So my tune changed and I apologized for snapping at the car when it was just trying to help. Not that the car has the capacity to care.

Was in a rush, ignored the charge port open warning on the dash until I got onto the main road. Caught my error right before I got onto the freeway. Had to pull over on the side of the busy road to close my charge port door.

Was a big facepalm moment. :redface:

My idiot moment happened not long ago, actually.

I was in a hurry and hopped in to back out of my garage and the car started beeping at me. I was like, "What? What do you want?"

I had forgotten to unplug :rolleyes: So my tune changed and I apologized for snapping at the car when it was just trying to help. Not that the car has the capacity to care.

Capacity to care is coming in a software update later this year.

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Was in a rush, ignored the charge port open warning on the dash until I got onto the main road. Caught my error right before I got onto the freeway. Had to pull over on the side of the busy road to close my charge port door. Was a big facepalm moment. :redface:
Don't beat yourself up about that. No harm done so not a major face palm moment IMO.
While standing in my front yard I once saw an ICE car driving down my block with a gas station nozzle and 10 ft of hose attached stuck in the fuel filler hole. Incredible as it may sound, the driver must have filled their tank, paid, and forgot to remove the nozzle before driving away, ripping the hose out of the gas pump and not being aware of what they had done. The closest gas station was almost a mile away. One of my neighbors was also in his front yard (we were doing some gardening) and he saw the car too. We just stared at each other, speechless.

True story.

Now that is a major face palm.

I was convinced something was wrong as my car just wouldn't auto lock when I walked away. I double checked the settings and it was turned on. It went on for days. Very frustrating. Finally I found that I left my second key inside the car in a small bag! All this time someone could have just walked up, and driven the car away. :-o

I was convinced something was wrong as my car just wouldn't auto lock when I walked away. I double checked the settings and it was turned on. It went on for days. Very frustrating. Finally I found that I left my second key inside the car in a small bag! All this time someone could have just walked up, and driven the car away. :-o

this one takes the cake.