Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

At long last a new 70 D is ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kona

Oct 27, 2013
toronto
A Guy who just put his deposit down on a new Tesla has a very long journey when it comes to EVs. My Dad (born in 1931) has just made the decision to buy a 70 D. I don't know if any of you remember the Briggs and Stratton EV on the cover of Motor trend in March 1980, but my father's business was responsible for the chassis and drivetrain it sat on. It was built at Marathon electric vehicles located in the outskirts of Montreal and based on the C360 model they were hoping would catch the public's attention . I think he was a bit before his time on this. Anyway, I think this new Tesla will be the most exciting car he has ever owned and driven. ( I did like the Volvo P1800 as the first car I can remember in 1963)

Before the deal is completed, just wondering how you would option yours? Are there some options that are no brainers and better values? Some you would pass on?
The car will be parked outdoors unfortunately, so any tips on charging and living outdoors would be appreciated. (don't stand in puddles when you unplug?)

I have encouraged him to join the forum, so hopefully he wanders by.

Tia.

Congratulations to your father on ordering a Tesla! Nice to see an EV pioneer make that decision.

The decision on what options to order has been extensively discussed many times. I recommend that you browse the Model S forums and you will find a lot of useful info. Although the option ,it's is short, the discussions are endless. ;-)

And there is no reason to worry about plugging in and unplugging in wet conditions. Current flow is stopped before the charge cable is disconnected.

Congrats to your dad and thanks for sharing.

My dad is sick and I actually got a 24 hour loaner from Tesla a few days before the surgery that sadly has sent him into full dementia.

He has been in the hospital for 8 weeks and during the time my mom and myself would use "What is a Tesla" to see where his brain was at. Sometimes the nurses would ask to see my Red Tesla. Which was the loaner car but it was nice to see the brain matter working. We got all sorts of cute answers.

Today he knows that I have an amazing Silver car that his neighbors like. When he remembers its a Tesla I will smile even more.

Accessories wise we are all obviously different. I went with the Pano roof and Auto Pilot. If I had to do it all again I might have added the upgraded radio because, well, the standard one is a little bleh. Not sure your dad will need that though. Maybe based on his charging needs and location dual charging might be an option worth looking into.

My mom was actually the one who pushed me to get my Tesla. She loved it so much she told me she would be really bummed if I got another Audi. So glad she politely talked me into it. Its a nice break from the tough times with dad when I take her out somewhere. Even though its usually to a medical supply store or pharmacy. :)

Last edited:
Congrats to your dad! And lg I hope your dad gets better!

IMO the leather seats is a must, everything else is an up to you. We love the pano roof but held off on autopilot until we see some of the new features roll out. The base audio is lacking thump but I like the quiet in the car anyway.

A Guy who just put his deposit down on a new Tesla has a very long journey when it comes to EVs. My Dad (born in 1931) has just made the decision to buy a 70 D. I don't know if any of you remember the Briggs and Stratton EV on the cover of Motor trend in March 1980, but my father's business was responsible for the chassis and drivetrain it sat on. It was built at Marathon electric vehicles located in the outskirts of Montreal and based on the C360 model they were hoping would catch the public's attention . I think he was a bit before his time on this. Anyway, I think this new Tesla will be the most exciting car he has ever owned and driven. ( I did like the Volvo P1800 as the first car I can remember in 1963)

Before the deal is completed, just wondering how you would option yours? Are there some options that are no brainers and better values? Some you would pass on?
The car will be parked outdoors unfortunately, so any tips on charging and living outdoors would be appreciated. (don't stand in puddles when you unplug?)

I have encouraged him to join the forum, so hopefully he wanders by.

Tia.

Congrats!

I ordered a 70D with pano roof, premium interior, autopilot.
Here are my thoughts on the various options,

- Color, inside, outside, and dash trim: Entirely your personal choice, and ability to clean and maintain.
- Pano roof: Good if you are tall, opens the car up nicely, light is good, doesn't add much heat, most Tesla owners like to have it. Personal view: It makes the car looks nicer.
- Premium Interior: I got it because I wanted the better inside lights, fog and cornering lights, and black alacantra headliner. A lot of people make a big deal about the power liftgate, I don't see why!
- 21" wheels vs 19" wheels - 19" wheels will last longer, much longer, and the rims will take more abuse. 21" wheels give you a rougher/noisier ride, better handling, but will cost you much more (long term and short term).
- Audio: Base audio sucks, premium audio sucks less, but still sucks. I got base audio, I prefer silence over music on the road.
- Autopilot: I like technology, I got autopilot. Your dad might appreciate it as well, it makes the drive less stressful.
- Subzero: I wanted it, but decided to save $1000. The heated wipers and washer nozzles are not that useful considering you can warm up the car remotely. The heated steering is nice (but not $1000 nice), rear seat warmers - nice if you have people in the rear seats.
- Air suspension: cushier ride, more important if you get 21". But long term reliability and expensive replacements. I went with coils. 19" with coils is still a very smooth ride.
- Next gen seats: Worth it, but if your dad has arthiritis, I would strongly recommend trying both seats to see which one he likes the most. The older seats are easier to get in and out of IMO, but some people set a profile in the car to raise the seat when you reach your garage. Do get leather though, its more durable. Textile seats are not heated.
- jumper seats - entire your choice/need.
- executive rear seats - they are nice, but you greatly comrpomise on seating capacity and carrying capacity of the car.

After buying,
- Service plan: The general consensus is they are not worth it in their current form. I am still on the fence if I want them or not.
- After market paint protection: A lot of people get this. May cost $1000 to $4000 depending upon what you get.
- Plug installation: Cheapest option: NEMA 14-50, 50 amp, Midway option - HPWC, pricey option - HPWC with 100 amp.
- Insurance

Happy to answer any other Q's you may have. Say hi to your dad from me :)

Congrats to your dad and thanks for sharing.

My dad is sick and I actually got a 24 hour loaner from Tesla a few days before the surgery that sadly has sent him into full dementia.

He has been in the hospital for 8 weeks and during the time my mom and myself would use "What is a Tesla" to see where his brain was at. Sometimes the nurses would ask to see my Red Tesla. Which was the loaner car but it was nice to see the brain matter working. We got all sorts of cute answers.

Today he knows that I have an amazing Silver car that his neighbors like. When he remembers its a Tesla I will smile even more.

Accessories wise we are all obviously different. I went with the Pano roof and Auto Pilot. If I had to do it all again I might have added the upgraded radio because, well, the standard one is a little bleh. Not sure your dad will need that though. Maybe based on his charging needs and location dual charging might be an option worth looking into.

My mom was actually the one who pushed me to get my Tesla. She loved it so much she told me she would be really bummed if I got another Audi. So glad she politely talked me into it. Its a nice break from the tough times with dad when I take her out somewhere. Even though its usually to a medical supply store or pharmacy. :)

Thanks for sharing about your dad. So glad he got to see the Tesla before his surgery. I came across this article earlier today linking coconut oil with helpful effects against dementia. Here's the link in case it might be helpful.

AltHealthWorks.com | This Man with Alzheimer

Thanks for sharing about your dad. So glad he got to see the Tesla before his surgery. I came across this article earlier today linking coconut oil with helpful effects against dementia. Here's the link in case it might be helpful.

AltHealthWorks.com | This Man with Alzheimer

Thank You Sus! I will add it to my Evernote. Dad got to ride in my loaner and has seen my Tesla a few weeks ago. I will post a pic of the big lug in the thing Fathers Day! :) Well, little lug. He has lost a little too much weight.

- Plug installation: Cheapest option: NEMA 14-50, 50 amp, Midway option - HPWC, pricey option - HPWC with 100 amp.

Nice summary and if I were to buy today, I would get almost the same as you.

I do think the cheapest charging option is to spend nothing and just use a regular outlet. That won't cost anything for installation and as long as you don't have a long commute, it should be enough. If it was my father buying a car, he wouldn't need much range because he will be retiring soon. He lives in a small town and probably drives less than 50 miles per week. Even at only 3 miles per hour, a night's charging would last him most of the week.

Personally, I'm getting two 14-50 outlets installed and have a 20 amp outlet already.

Nice summary and if I were to buy today, I would get almost the same as you.

I do think the cheapest charging option is to spend nothing and just use a regular outlet. That won't cost anything for installation and as long as you don't have a long commute, it should be enough. If it was my father buying a car, he wouldn't need much range because he will be retiring soon. He lives in a small town and probably drives less than 50 miles per week. Even at only 3 miles per hour, a night's charging would last him most of the week.

Personally, I'm getting two 14-50 outlets installed and have a 20 amp outlet already.

good point but charging at 3 miles an hour is just way too slow.
i still wonder though if I should have gotten the subzero package. My car hasn't entered production yet, I wonder if they'll charge me 500 to add subzero.

Where do you live? If the car is able to start remotely and adjust temp prior you entering the car, do you need heated steering?

I live in the DC area and it does get cold here. I could adjust the temp remotely, but y'know I wonder if I'll miss the heated steering anyway :). Ah well. I have ten $100 bills to wipe my tears with in the meanwhile.

Though, I was seriously wondering if I can change my order without penalty. Production hasn't started yet, but the order is confirmed.