Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many times have you supercharged

How many times you have supercharged

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a lot of people are wondering if there is a connection between supercharging and battery capacity loss. Personally, I have supercharged 46 times (including the last one that was abruptly cut short ;_;) in 23,000 miles, and i had about 1.3% battery loss. So really, I was wondering where about the average amount of times owners have supercharged.

I'm around 78 or 80 supercharges in just under 2 years. Done a bunch of long trips. Early on I could get 267 then 265 mi on a 100% charge. Now it's 261mi but it takes so long to go from 257 to 261 I usually give up around 258.

I use Superchargers a lot. Like several times a week. I use them on empty battery and to top off before a longer leg of a trip.

When going to 100% I get 374 km; it was 400 km when new. So lost 26 km in 15 months and 88,000 km, about 6.5 %. It seems to hold this capacity for quite some time now, the greatest loss in range was at the beginning (first 3 months).

I haven't used SCs that much, maybe 10-20 times in 10,000 miles. There is definitely range loss, maybe 1.5% or so, but it's probably just due to general use. The first time I charged up my car to 100%, I got 278 miles (S85D). Now I get about 268 miles. Of course, the 278 was probably just a wonky occurrence.

For the more typical 80% charge, I used to get maybe 212 miles. Now it's 209.

- K

I have Supercharged four times. Not a lot, but not bad considering that I don't even own a Tesla!

As for the effect on battery life, I would not worry about it. Just use the supercharger whenever it is convenient.

Plug-in America's Nissan Leaf owner's survey did not show any degradation from L3 charging, and long term tests have been done comparing 100% L3 vs. 100% L2 charging on the Leaf with no difference in life. I would expect the same result for Tesla L3 charging.

GSP

I'm at about 200 Supercharging sessions. I took many road trips and have many Superchargers around me. All of that in just 14 month of owning the car. I think it's hard to say if Supercharging is bad for the battery compared to normal charging. The way Tesla does is pretty much on the safe and conservative side. Plus they cool the battery during Supercharging. On road trips you usually never charge to 100% as it would take too long and you can reach the next station easily with just charging to 70% or less. I believe the impact on battery aging compared to normal charging is minimal.

The only real side by side test I know of is done in two Nissan Leaf. One is only charged normal, the other one only quick charged on CHAdeMO. The difference in battery aging between these two test cars doesn't seem to be big despite the fact that the Leaf's battery isn't cooled and the charging rate doesn't taper off as the state of charge increases. Definitely worse for the battery.

It's probably impossible for us to pin battery aging on one or the other thing. We all use our cars normally and all things we do and happen to the car influence the battery. My Supercharging use is definitely on the higher side but I also have 50k miles and live in a rather warm place. So who knows how much all of these things contributed to my car loosing about 5-6% so far. But then, did I really loose that much? There is a good chance, and I have some evidence for it, that my range calculation is lower than the actual battery aging. I almost never charge to 100% which is known to cause the range calculation to be less accurate over time. I just recently charging to 100% and when I drove I was able to drive 5 miles without the range number to go down at all. So clearly an indication that real capacity and the displayed 'rated range' didn't match up.

I am unclear how the information from this poll will be useful without controlling for the length of time and/or the number of miles. A selection of 0-10 from someone who has owned their car 1 month and drives a few thousand miles is very different from someone who has owned their car 2 years and is has many tens of thousands of miles. An additional confounding factor is that there are many more superchargers now than there were 2 years ago.

Or is the purpose just to identify owners with extensive supercharging activity to contact for further detailed analysis about battery impact?

Last edited: