Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens in cases of poor/no connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please excuse me if this topic has already been discussed, my searches didn't turn up the answers I was looking for - to set expectations for next year's Tesla purchase...

I live in central Alabama, and often travel to places with little or no cellular data coverage - sometimes no cell phone coverage at all. Some of the threads I have read suggest that several things won't work on the MS, such as navigation, voice commands, music, etc. Also, in my home town is the University of Alabama - when there is a home football game, the AT&T network becomes so swamped that it is unusable. I have switched to T-Mobile for personal cell so that I can call & message during games, when there are 120,000 fans in town.

Could someone with experience fill me in on what to expect? Do I need to carry along one of those stick-it-on-the-windshield Garmin GPS devices as a spare when the in-vehicle navi system doesn't have connectivity? Can I connect my iPhone to the car so that I can play music and podcasts?:confused: Or a I anticipating a problem that really doesn't exist?

If you have the Tech Package, the GPS maps are stored locally and your nav will still work. The Google Map view on the 17" screen will not, however. You will not have access to anything that relies on internet connectivity such as the Slacker and Tunein services, but AM/FM/XM will still function, as will any devices that you connect locally such as a phone or USB stick with music.. Obviously no web browsing or voice commands that also rely on connectivity.

With no connectivity at all:

The turn-by-turn navigation (voice prompt and map next to the speedo) still works as normal, but the Google maps on the main display stop updating.
Entering a destination for navigation if you have no connectivity at the start of your journey is through a simple street-address entry form, rather than Google searching.
Voice controls don't work.
Internet music doesn't work. FM radio, music from USB stick plugged into the car, or music over bluetooth from a phone all still work.
No web browser.
Can't use any features of the mobile app (even if the mobile itself is on another network and has coverage), in particular don't rely on being able to start the car without the key.

If you have flaky rather than no coverage at all, there is an additional problem:

Entering a destination for navigation still uses Google search rather than the direct entry, and because it can't communicate with Google, you can't enter a destination at all. You can however still pick destinations from saved 'favorites', 'recents', or 'known charging locations', even if you originally entered those destinations as a Google search (the favorite remembers the answer, not the query).

To answer a question towards the end of your post:

Yes, if your phone & carrier allow you to create a WiFi hotspot, then you can connect your car to that for internet access.
I don't think the OP was referring to using the iPhone for internet access, but rather to listen to music and podcasts on the phone. The answer is yes, the iPhone connects by bluetooth so you can always listen to what's on your phone regardless of internet connectivity.

And the answer about the tech package would only apply to used Teslas. There is no such thing as tech package anymore--all cars now come with navigation with locally stored maps.

I don't think the OP was referring to using the iPhone for internet access, but rather to listen to music and podcasts on the phone. The answer is yes, the iPhone connects by bluetooth so you can always listen to what's on your phone regardless of internet connectivity.

And the answer about the tech package would only apply to used Teslas. There is no such thing as tech package anymore--all cars now come with navigation with locally stored maps.

Yes, this was what I was wondering about, use of material stored on the phone itself. This answers the questions, thanks!

Incidentally - XM radio was mentioned. Is this a standard thing? I had this on a couple of vehicles but dropped it because I never used it, and it is pricey (near $200/year now) for something I rarely used. The only shows I like to listen to are NPR's All Things Considered and Morning Edition, and these are conspicuously missing from XM radio.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned (I didn't see it) but if the car has spotty or no coverage then you won't be able to connect in via the app with your phone either. And...tesla can't communicate with the car if need be. I live in an area that has NO coverage at my house. I have found however that my bag works and I can type in an address manually and everything works including my map on my big screen. Though sometimes the line is there and the screen in blank until I get into better coverage.

I mi don't have XM on my car but on the loaners it hasn't worked at my house with no connectivity to the car.

For the locally stored maps, how broad of a coverage does this provide? In other words, with no wifi connection, is there still a danger that you could drive outside of the locally stored map coverage area?

For the locally stored maps, how broad of a coverage does this provide? In other words, with no wifi connection, is there still a danger that you could drive outside of the locally stored map coverage area?

The offline mapping database covers the whole of North America (or Europe in the case of European cars). Best guess, you might run into trouble if you drove through Mexico into Guatemala.

The locally stored maps are used for route calculations even when the car has internet connectivity; they're a complete satnav system on their own.