Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control should have a temperature range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
Instead of setting an absolute temperature, it would be much better if you could set a range. For example, I do not want heat/ac to turn on when the temperature is between 65 and 75F, I would want vent to be active in this range. Another nice enhancement would be to be able to turn off heat without having to mess with temperature control. It would be great he choice between ac on and off was changed between Heat only, Ac only, Vent only, and full auto.

At least for my 3xxx VIN P85, the temperature sensor is not very accurate. For air conditioning, I manually set the temperature 67 or 68 to keep the interior cool. But for heating, I have to manually set the temperature around 73-74.

Not sure if the newer cars have this problem - but at least for the early models - this has been a known problem.

Instead of a range - what might be more useful would be to factor in the outside temperature - so that the system could automatically switch between the air conditioning and heating temperatures, based on the outside air temp.

This temperature problem is a relatively minor issue - and this usually requires fixing the temperatures only a couple of times each year - so it hasn't been a big deal. But I've never had this problem with any other car with an "automatic" air conditioner.

Yeah I have noticed that the Model S version of 74 is way different than my old Tahoe's. My Tahoe, I set it on 74 and it was quite comfortable in the summer. The Model S has to be on 69 or 70 to feel the same comfort level.

Certainly with all the electronics Tesla can definitely do better than this. It may be intentional as an energy saving ploy. In our BMWs we usually have the same temperature setting summer and winter. The only time it's not comfortable is if there is sun directly beating down on you through the window requiring a cooler setting.

Instead of a range - what might be more useful would be to factor in the outside temperature - so that the system could automatically switch between the air conditioning and heating temperatures, based on the outside air temp.

I want to add this feature to my app, since my P85D suffers from the same issues. When it's 50-ish out, I set my temp to 78 to feel comfortable. When it's 100 degrees inside, I need to set it to 70 degrees to feel comfortable. It's very odd. If I'm not mistaken, I think user profiles also set the temperatures? Perhaps create two profiles. One for heat and one for cold?

I've never understood why A/C systems don't measure the temperature of the outside air and if it's as cool as the set temperature or cooler, use that instead of the compressor.

How the human body senses temperature comfort is not based solely on temperature, but also humidity.
A/C units cool and also dry the air.

Recirculating conditioned air inside of a car keeps the air drier, and probably cooler too.
In (sealed) buildings, a certain percentage of fresh air is introduced so there is an air exchange rate, say eight times an hour.
That provides and ensures a healthier interior atmosphere for the building occupants, a bit of an energy loss/consumption for the building's operation.

Temperature is one single number. How we feel temperature is a combination of a lot of things. Humidity in the air makes a big difference. The exact same temperature feels very different to us depending on the humidity. Sunlight hitting our body directly makes us feel warmer than the ambient temperature. A slight change of mood can change our perception of feeling comfortable and too hot. I noticed that myself many times. I feel perfectly comfortable. Then I get a call or message than upsets me and I'm starting to feel too hot. LOL Or you got some rain on your cloths that are now a little wet. The evaporation will make you feel much cooler.

We always blame the car not doing the right thing. It's keeping the temperature just fine, but it has no way of knowing how much sun or IR light hits us that makes us feel warmer or how humid the air is.

Here is what I do. I don't care what temperature it says. If I'm cold I adjust it up, of I'm too warm, I adjust it down. What number it says is totally meaningless to me. I don't care if it starts the heater or the AC. I never have to worry about range in my daily driving, I just want it to feel comfortable. What does it matter if the AC or heat pump runs a tiny little bit.

For those that want an 'fan only' mode. Set the temperature to "LO", turn off the AC and then adjust the fan speed manually as you like. That's the setting that will guarantee you to never turn on the heater nor AC.