Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five months and still no $8500, nor $1000 for charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Today marks five months from the day that my car was delivered and I still don't have my rebate. I called the government a few weeks ago and they said that they had no record of my application. I called the Tesla DS(Scott) and he said "Don't worry, they are way behind and can't keep up with the increased demand for rebates and are just now getting to January sales". Anyone else in a similar position?

I know I'm talking over two years ago, but I got my $8,500 in under 2 weeks. I was actually quite shocked (pleasantly) by that. Perhaps more EV sales are driving the Ministry's timelines longer. Kind of a good news / bad news situation if that's the case.

I know I'm talking over two years ago, but I got my $8,500 in under 2 weeks. I was actually quite shocked (pleasantly) by that. Perhaps more EV sales are driving the Ministry's timelines longer. Kind of a good news / bad news situation if that's the case.

Perplexed B.C. resident here - why on earth would this be done as a "mail-in" rebate, rather than just deducting at source? The EV incentive in B.C. is just taken off the price before tax. Easy, simple, pretty much no additional administration required, and instant.

Perplexed B.C. resident here - why on earth would this be done as a "mail-in" rebate, rather than just deducting at source? The EV incentive in B.C. is just taken off the price before tax. Easy, simple, pretty much no additional administration required, and instant.
That's the way it should be done but unfortunately they make it more difficult here.

Today marks five months from the day that my car was delivered and I still don't have my rebate. I called the government a few weeks ago and they said that they had no record of my application. I called the Tesla DS(Scott) and he said "Don't worry, they are way behind and can't keep up with the increased demand for rebates and are just now getting to January sales". Anyone else in a similar position?

wow that's unacceptable but believable . Is there not an electronic submission like the rest of the world in 2015?

It can be done as a deduction by the dealer or as a mail in rebate. I believe only Tesla has gone the mail-in route. GM, for instance, just deducted the amount when we bought our Volt. I had to wait (although only 2 weeks) for my Tesla's rebate cheque.

You can email in your rebate form and supporting documents, that's what I did. I wanted to submit everything together (car and charger), so I didn't have Tesla submit, and this way I know it was done correctly.
I don't know about you guys but for the car the original docs were submitted by Tesla, or at least they were supposed to be. I submitted the charger stuff myself a couple of months later but my understanding is that the charger doesn't get processed until the car is done.

I don't know about you guys but for the car the original docs were submitted by Tesla, or at least they were supposed to be. I submitted the charger stuff myself a couple of months later but my understanding is that the charger doesn't get processed until the car is done.
That's why I wanted to submit both together so that the charger rebate wouldn't get lost in a pile waiting for the car to be submitted.

I don't know about you guys but for the car the original docs were submitted by Tesla, or at least they were supposed to be.

Yes, Tesla normally submits the documents on the owner's behalf, then you have to wait for the cheque to arrive. Most other auto dealers will simply deduct the credit right on the purchase agreement and deal with recouping the money from the Province themselves.

Interesting though, that there are (at least) two outliers her..., both submitting for the rebate for the car and charge station...I wonder if there is an increase (unwarranted though) delay if you apply for both rebates?

I received my rebate a while back Wayne...I think we both received our cars around the same time...

That's why I wanted to submit both together so that the charger rebate wouldn't get lost in a pile waiting for the car to be submitted.

Interesting though, that there are (at least) two outliers her..., both submitting for the rebate for the car and charge station...I wonder if there is an increase (unwarranted though) delay if you apply for both rebates?

Could be. My understanding is that to be eligible for the EVSE rebate, you must have already received the EV rebate. Doing it at the same time may add a layer of complexity.

Yes, Tesla normally submits the documents on the owner's behalf, then you have to wait for the cheque to arrive. Most other auto dealers will simply deduct the credit right on the purchase agreement and deal with recouping the money from the Province themselves.

Tesla used to do it that way... but the government seemingly bungles everything. I'm pretty sure they punted after getting an endless series of runarounds.

From the MTO Web site:

6-5-2015 1-56-03 PM.jpg

Most car dealers will do it the second way for you. I know they did it this way for our Volt.