Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next Generation seats soon to be available for older Model S cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having exhausted all avenues with Tesla, finally got a call back from them stating they will offer next generation seats to older Model S cars.
He didn't give a time frame but said the local dealers will be contacted about availability.
They won't be cheap, but I'm sure Tesla will offer a huge discount to early adopters for helping them get to where they are today.

I might do it. I love my original seats and have no problem with them. I have only sat in one set of new gen for a launch in a P85D and thought they were great. But I'll need to check them out further. Funny to me is that there are many negative comments about the original seats. I love them. But from a wear over time issue, I might consider spanking new seats, depending on what new non-upgradeable hardware comes down the road.

I might do it. I love my original seats and have no problem with them. I have only sat in one set of new gen for a launch in a P85D and thought they were great. But I'll need to check them out further. Funny to me is that there are many negative comments about the original seats. I love them. But from a wear over time issue, I might consider spanking new seats, depending on what new non-upgradeable hardware comes down the road.

My problem with the old seats is you slide around even though they feel like they are hugging you. Taking turns at any real speed you have a death grip on the wheel in order to feel stable.

My problem with the old seats is you slide around even though they feel like they are hugging you. Taking turns at any real speed you have a death grip on the wheel in order to feel stable.

With a statement like this, it really helps to state what seat revisions you have:
- 1.0, the original seats from 2012 and 2013 with vertical stitching down the middle of the back
- 1.1, the original seats + a spring TSB to have more give in the seat
- 1.5, the 2014 and onward "standard" seats with the taller and closer to your neck headrests and deeper thicker cushions than 1.1
- 2.0, the 2014 and onward "next gen" seats made by Recaro that have horizontal stitching on the back and serious side-bolstering

Generalizing, comfort has been said to get better with each revision, but my 1.1s are very comfortable and not troublesome at all after a 400 mile road trip. The 1.5s in the loaner I drove had thicker cushions, but felt just as comfortable for my workday commute. They works great in launches (my test drives also had 1.5s).

Last edited:
With a statement like this, it really helps to state what seat revisions you have:
- 1.0, the original seats from 2012 and 2013 with vertical stitching down the middle of the back
- 1.5, the 2014 and onward "standard" seats with the taller and closer to your neck headrests and deeper thicker cushions than 1.1
- 2.0, the 2014 and onward "next gen" seats made by Recaro that have horizontal stitching on the back and serious side-bolstering

Generalizing, comfort has been said to get better with each revisions, but my 1.1s are very comfortable and not troublesome at all after a 400 mile road trip. The 1.5s in the loan I drove had thicker cushions, but felt just as comfortable for my workday commute. They works great in launches (my test drives also had 1.5s).

My seats are 1.5, or November 2014 build.

What exactly is next gen seats? My S85 was delivered October last year
The front next gen seats have much mide side bolstering to hold you in place. The rears have a little more of a raised "bump" between positions but have the disadvantage of not folding as flat. I have a P85D that I ordered with NG seats but it was delivered in early January without them. Tesla just replaced my seats with NGs a week ago, both front and back. Apparently in the current iteration NG seats only include the front, not the back.

I have an early 2013 car with the 1.0 seats. While, IMHO, not nearly as good as the seats in my last few cars, they turned out to be a lot more comfortable that they look like they'd be. The only think I don't care for is the fact that the headrests are non-adjustable.

The only think I don't care for is the fact that the headrests are non-adjustable.
I don't like the fact that they are not removable. They block a signicant part of the view out of the back of the vehicle so they are a hinderance which is of no benefit unless you have adults sitting in the back seats.

Most of the time I have no one in the back and when I do have someone in the back it is usually my kids who are too small for the headrest. And the headrest actually interferes with child seats as it forces the top of them forrward.

I don't like the fact that they are not removable. They block a signicant part of the view out of the back of the vehicle so they are a hinderance which is of no benefit unless you have adults sitting in the back seats.

I was thinking of the front headrests, but yes to your point as well. I suppose I'm lucky in that mine has the earlier seats where the rear headrests are not that high. In fact they really don't block my rearward view at all, but I've been in a newer car and know what you're talking about.

I've driven my 2012 Sig over 38,000 miles with the 1.0 seats: not bad at all, really.

But the Next Gen fronts and rears I had retrofitted in the P85D are outstanding. Except for that rear visibility thing, which is Not Outstanding At All. It helps to sit tall; if I put my seat down much I lose what limited rearward visibility I have.

Except for that rear visibility thing, which is Not Outstanding At All. It helps to sit tall; if I put my seat down much I lose what limited rearward visibility I have.

When I did the Get Amped test drive in 2012, rearward visibility was one of a very few things I put on the "con" side of my notes about the car. I've gotten used to it, but expect it would be another adjustment for me if I ever upgrade to a newer model with the taller headrests. Maybe by that time, the Next Next Gen seats will be out with adjustable/foldable headrests!

I really, really want to upgrade my seats from my 1.5 version. In a car that can pull nearly a G around a corner, having to hang onto the steering wheel for dear life takes away from the enjoyment of those curves.

I I really hope they don't ask like $5k or more for the upgrade. But they probably will.

I really, really want to upgrade my seats from my 1.5 version. In a car that can pull nearly a G around a corner, having to hang onto the steering wheel for dear life takes away from the enjoyment of those curves.

I I really hope they don't ask like $5k or more for the upgrade. But they probably will.

That is my complaint as well, if i take a hard left i feel like WHOA!, taking a right i just kinda lean on the door a bit.