Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Different Set of Maps??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed what appears to be two different sets of maps tiles? The main 17" display seems to be pretty up-to-date, showing the latest freeway that was built within the last two years by my house. But the in dash navigation that displays whenever you're actively navigating uses an outdated set of map tiles that does not have any new freeway on it. What's worse is that the navigation directions themselves are calculated based on the outdated tiles. So every morning I drive to work on the new freeway that's shown perfectly on the main display but I appear out in the desert on the in-dash display.

I'm assuming that the maps application on the main display just pulls the latest tiles directly from Google while the "actual" navigation assets (ie the outdated tiles) come from Tesla themselves and get updated annually or something...

That is correct. The navigation system uses on-board map data from Navigon while the 17" display uses Google Maps data. As far as I know, there has only ever been one update for the on-board maps which was after the 6.0 release late last year. Even then, the maps updated at that time were not completely up to date. I'm going to guess it's going to be similar to what you might get from a store-bought Nav. Maybe we'll see another update later this year?

I have a soft spot for Navigon maps having had a portable unit long before they were acquired by Garmin. Loved the lane view and was glad to see that Tesla had integrated it for the onboard. It was an interesting decision on their part, use Google Maps for the input and 17" screen but use an onboard system for the dash display that would function if out of cellular range. I'm so used to nav maps being out of date in the north east with highway redesigns that it rarely registers. I refer to the completely out of date maps in my wife's 2004 Mercedes as dead reckoning navigation.

How does someone go about getting on a list for an update to the map data??? Other cars sell you a disc, but Tesla will certainly do over the air.... big question is how to get them.

How does someone go about getting on a list for an update to the map data??? Other cars sell you a disc, but Tesla will certainly do over the air.... big question is how to get them.

I see you have the tech package. You're already on the list. It will come automatically like a regular software update.

[By the way, I lived in Monterey for a year. Man I miss living in Heaven!]