Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it absolutely fascinating that we are able to completely custom build each of our cars to EXACTLY what WE want as individuals. I realize you have options with some car companies, but you end up getting features and options that you might not have wanted or needed with such packages.

I think this ability to individualize your ride is frequently overlooked and really sets Tesla apart from other manufacturers. Thank you TESLA!

There is some bundling of options--you can't completely customize your car--but I agree that the bundling is more logical and less obnoxious than the options often found with other car companies.

Tesla's ordering system is far from immune from having to order features you may not want to get others you do. See power liftgate. However, their ordering system is far better than other manufacturers and you can actually get the car you want. Anywhere else you get teased with an online configuration tool then have to put up with a dealer pressuring you to buy something from their inventory instead of ordering you the car you want.

The best part I thought was not having to haggle, or deal with a car salesman.
The bundling of options etc. yeah I can see why someone would be pissed about it, but really there is a lot bundled into premium interior that its worth it at $3K. So it was ok for me. But yes, when they were charging $1000 for a bunch of inside LEDs, that's not good (I didn't have to pay for that).

But seriously, I don't get it why people want power liftgate as a seperate option. At $3k the premium interior is pretty decent value. At $5K .. ehh maybe overpriced.

The best part I thought was not having to haggle, or deal with a car salesman.
The bundling of options etc. yeah I can see why someone would be pissed about it, but really there is a lot bundled into premium interior that its worth it at $3K. So it was ok for me. But yes, when they were charging $1000 for a bunch of inside LEDs, that's not good (I didn't have to pay for that).

But seriously, I don't get it why people want power liftgate as a seperate option. At $3k the premium interior is pretty decent value. At $5K .. ehh maybe overpriced.

If the power lift gate was a separate option, I'd think about it.

I need a power lift gate (ok, maybe not need, but it makes life SOOO much easier).
I want the black alcantra headliner and interior lighting.
I don't care about the cornering lights or fog lights.

For $3k I took the whole package, though on a 75k (or 85k) base price car, ALL of that should be standard.

- - - Updated - - -

@kukkakamina did you change your mind again? 70D -> 85D -> 70D?

If the power lift gate was a separate option, I'd think about it.

I need a power lift gate (ok, maybe not need, but it makes life SOOO much easier).
I want the black alcantra headliner and interior lighting.
I don't care about the cornering lights or fog lights.

For $3k I took the whole package, though on a 75k (or 85k) base price car, ALL of that should be standard.

- - - Updated - - -

@kukkakamina did you change your mind again? 70D -> 85D -> 70D?

But the manual power lift gate isn't hard to open. Why is everyone so crazy about the power lift gate?
Yes I went from
Blue -> Black -> Blue, and
70D -> 85D -> 70D.
I also eventually dropped the subzero package.

So now I'm locked in at -
Blue, Next gen black, Pano, Prem interior, autopilot.
Add to this, plug installation in garage, xpel or opticoat or something, service plans, extended warranty.
Total bill = too much LOL. I'm looking at a 8 year cost of ownership around 40-50K ~ $520 + electricity + insurance per month.. which is twice of what the Acura has costed me .. but, Tesla is a better car (assuming it remains trouble free, which is .. a big "if"). The new ones seem ok for the most though, we shall see.

Some people here had me convinced that the 85D's range mattered, and 70D's range was crap.
Turns out, 70D's range is not crappy, the claimed results are matching what people are seeing in the real world.
All that fancy math aside, I decided to believe in what people were actually seeing in real life.
And atleast around where we live, where range is an issue, (PA towards Hershey, and VA towards Roanoke), 85D would have been an issue too.
Don't get me wrong, 30 miles extra in a pinch is a big deal, but 10K is also a big deal :).
If I did 85D, I'd probably skimp on xpel, service plan, etc. 70D wil meet my needs more than enough, so I went back to it and saved the 10K.
And its not like I am buying an impractical city only car, like Leaf or Chevy Spark. 70D's range is more than enough for my needs.

Oh also, Tesla is adding FIVE superchargers in VA, 3 of them around Roanoke, the one in VA beach is under construction.
And they are also adding atleast TWO towards Hershey PA. So those holes are gonna get patched over the next 2 years.
They are also adding a supercharger in Laurel, MD in the near future, and then another one on the right hand bottom of the beltway later in 2016.
The supercharger locations and dates are all malleable btw. But still, its enough for me to know that they see it as a problem and are working on it.
So really, it came down to this - for the next 2-3 years, I may not be able to go to Hershey's, PA and avoid using J1772.
I am quite depressed about that, but I'll have 10K dollar bills to wipe my tears with. It'll be hard but I'll survive.

We are quite closeby btw, we should maybe do a chat up at Tesla supercharger sometime. Did you join the DC tesla owners google group? You should.

But the manual power lift gate isn't hard to open. Why is everyone so crazy about the power lift gate?
I have 2 kids, and got the rear seats, so I can open the trunk and have them jump in and buckle themselves in and then close it, without touching the car. That, plus carrying groceries and opening it from a distance is nice. My wife has a power lift gate, and we use it ALL the time. If it were $5k, I might've still paid for it. I'd be mad, but I might of paid for it nonetheless.

Some people here had me convinced that the 85D's range mattered, and 70D's range was crap.

Don't say some people, there are 2 people! (and I'm just giving them a hard time)

And they are also adding atleast TWO towards Hershey PA. So those holes are gonna get patched over the next 2 years.
This is one of the only areas I travel once or twice a year that I wont be able to do (regardless 70D or 85D). I'll be thrilled when there are superchargers around hershey and around scranton.

We are quite closeby btw, we should maybe do a chat up at Tesla supercharger sometime. Did you join the DC tesla owners google group? You should.

I joined the DC Area Model S club. Is that the same thing?

Don't say some people, there are 2 people! (and I'm just giving them a hard time)

Oh and I know exactly which two :)
One of them is a speed junkie, so I think he will love his 85D, he has reasons for the larger battery other than acceleration too. I think he made the right decision. The other, hasn't bought the car, and is speculating the temperature of heaven (or hell) based on sidelines research.

BEFORE I placed my order, a year ago lets say, I was going to get a P85D with 21" wheels. But its not when you start spending the cash that you realize how much it pinches. And then you suddenly become your dad, and think, y'know ..70D is more than enough. Its still a very nice car. :) .. and no its not like I got the 16GB iPhone. 250ish miles of range, hell even 200, is more than enough to be practical.

Sorry but it isn't until you actually BUY the car that I can trust your opinion on the saved 10K, and even then, hey maybe you're a billionaire. I'm not.

Oh and I know exactly which two :)
One of them is a speed junkie, so I think he will love his 85D, he has reasons for the larger battery other than acceleration too. I think he made the right decision.
The other, hasn't bought the car, and is speculating the temperature of heaven (or hell) based on sidelines research.

BEFORE I placed my order, a year ago lets say, I was going to get a P85D with 21" wheels. But its not when you start spending the cash that you realize how much it pinches.
And then you suddenly become your dad, and think, y'know ..70D is more than enough. Its still a very nice car. :)

Sorry but it isn't until you actually BUY the car that I can trust your opinion on the saved 10K, and even then, hey maybe you're a billionaire. I'm not.

Yep, those are the two people! And I agree, Chris got the car he needed/wanted. The other one is still doing research, which is fine... I did a lot of research too.

Haha, I joked with my wife about the P85D, she didn't think it was funny (she had no problem between the 70D and 85D). Though realistically the P85D would've meant sacrifices in other spending areas, and I wasn't going to do that for a car.

I have 2 kids, and got the rear seats, so I can open the trunk and have them jump in and buckle themselves in and then close it, without touching the car. That, plus carrying groceries and opening it from a distance is nice. My wife has a power lift gate, and we use it ALL the time. If it were $5k, I might've still paid for it. I'd be mad, but I might of paid for it nonetheless.

I agree with you, but I just wanted to point out that without the power liftgate, you could still open it from a distance while carrying groceries. What you lose without the power liftgate is the ability to set a stop at less than max height, and the ability to close it.

- - - Updated - - -

BEFORE I placed my order, a year ago lets say, I was going to get a P85D with 21" wheels. But its not when you start spending the cash that you realize how much it pinches. And then you suddenly become your dad, and think, y'know ..70D is more than enough. Its still a very nice car. :) .. and no its not like I got the 16GB iPhone. 250ish miles of range, hell even 200, is more than enough to be practical.

While my S85 is in for service, I have a P85 as a loaner. I can definitely feel the difference in performance between the two, but I have zero regrets on saving $10k (difference in CPO price) and getting the S85 instead. If I bought new, given that the 70D is roughly equivalent in performance to the S85, I knew I would be fine with the 70D -- especially given the extra range of the S85/85D would be lost on me. It would not enable me to reach anywhere I couldn't already reach on the 70D... or put another way, anywhere I would go that needed a stop to charge on the 70D also needs a stop to charge on a S85/85D.

I agree with you, but I just wanted to point out that without the power liftgate, you could still open it from a distance while carrying groceries. What you lose without the power liftgate is the ability to set a stop at less than max height, and the ability to close it.

Really? Tesla really needs to make these things clear. Right now it's as clear as mud.

So how does it work without the power liftgate? It's key fob open (i.e. you can press a button on the keyfob and it opens via springs or something?) but then manual close?

It's key fob open (i.e. you can press a button on the keyfob and it opens via springs or something?) but then manual close?

Exactly. Same behavior using the 17" control or the Tesla App (at least the iPhone app). Note, if you park in a garage or underneath a tree, the power liftgate can be programmed to not open all the way; or alternatively, if you click the back of the fob during opening, it will stop opening. Neither of these are available without the power liftgate as the spring simply wants to open to max height once the trunk is unlatched via the screen, app, or fob.

Tesla is okay on that. Not as good as Porsche, although Porsche often gets slammed for making everything an option... the inverse of that is that you can have it entirely your way. Tesla is sort of in the middle.

I like how Acura does it - two options, base, or with everything (for not a huge markup either).
Lexus and MB are the worst, you wanted heated seats, well then you must need headlight wipers.