Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Fabric Wheel Wells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people doing to keep the rear wheel wells clean? I find that with the fabric there, it's very hard to keep clean. I have to pressure wash it to keep it decent, and the undercarriage sprays I have (CG, Griots), while doing a nice job with the front wells, don't work at all with the rear wheel wells. I thought about getting some rubberized coating to spray on the fabric, but I wasn't sure if that would turn into a big mess.

Not a Tesla only issue unfortunately. A lot of cars are starting to use fabric wheel wells, they deaden sound, are cheaper, and lighter.
And yes they are a PAIN to clean, esp in winters.

2 solutions (none are ideal.. but)

1. If you have air suspension, raise it to the highest setting and pressure wash.
2. Coat with something like this - Johnson S C Inc 21806 Camp Dry Water Repellent Spray-CAMP DRY SPRAY - Walmart.com.

And unfortunately you do have to keep them clean or the crap will accumulate and eventually it might pull the wheel liner off.

I found these
PART 1/3 - 'Wheel, Wheel Well and Tire Care' - How to clean a fabric wheel well liner
PART 2/3 - 'Wheel, Wheel Well and Tire Care' - How to safely clean Model S wheels
PART 3/3 - 'Wheel, Wheel Well and Tire Care' - How to clean and dress tires

Last edited:
That first link is great.

I've been using a self-serve wash bay where the pressurized soap-water is actually warm and makes for a relatively easy job of getting embedded dirt out. That said, in the Bay Area it's not like we have slushy snow-salt to contend with.