Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SUPER shady sounding request. los angeles, 1940s style driveway test.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
greetings california forum! anyone in the los angeles area want to try and park their model is in my driveway, someone with air suspension? i know that sounds suuuuuuuuuuuuuper awkward, but my house has a horrible angle 1940s style driveway.

my fiat 500e scrapes its front air damn everyday i park, the wifes honda fit ev sometimes does, the supercharged miata goes 3 wheeler if i get the angle wrong. not only is the height angle crap but the approach angle has to be narrow to get into the back yard area.

as i get closer to december im really afraid i wont be able to fit a model s in my yard. supposedly i can schedule an extended test drive, the century city store said i could probably drive to my house during that time, but dont i need to actually order the car to have access to that kind of treatment?

sure, sure, FIX YOUR CRAPPY DRIVEWAY some might say. well im gunning for the P85D of course, and while that seems possible after a few years of saving... a new driveway and gate wont really be in the cards until a few months after december order / whatever delivery. i would hate to have to take apart my fence and cage the beast until then.

anyhow, i know its a long shot but figured i would throw it out there!

I am 400 miles north of you and my car has coils so can't offer to help you directly. But it seems to me that if an extremely short wheelbase car like a Fiat 500 scrapes on your driveway, a long wheelbase car like a Model S definitely will, even with the air suspension

If you tell the Century City store that you are serious about ordering an S this year but have strong concerns about it being unable to handle your driveway, I think they will take the time to drive one of their demo cars with air suspension to your house and try it out. Why not ask them? I'm sure they have had similar requests before.

just to tie up this thread, after about 4 weeks i finally was able to complete an at home test drive through tesla of pasadena. they were kind enough to drive out to my home, test the driveway and then let the wife and i on a quick[ish] jolt around town.
happy to report the air suspension passed with flying colors and while being a big ol beast of a car, it did fit into my yard.

hazzah are in order.

just to tie up this thread, after about 4 weeks i finally was able to complete an at home test drive through tesla of pasadena. they were kind enough to drive out to my home, test the driveway and then let the wife and i on a quick[ish] jolt around town.
happy to report the air suspension passed with flying colors and while being a big ol beast of a car, it did fit into my yard.

hazzah are in order.
The Newport Beach store's folks did us a similar solid when we were concerned about a coil version on our driveway. And the salesperson even drove it into the garage for a "fitting." Very helpful!

hazzah are in order.

In my twisted purchasing logic, I would subtract the saved cost of reworking the driveway from the perceived price of the MS...

I had the same concern about my driveway here in Colorado before the S85D came out. The Denver showroom offered to send a car out during snow season to assure me the car could make it up Everest (a.k.a., my driveway). As you can imagine, the coordination of snow vs. available cars vs. travel time to my house never gelled, but I appreciate their offer.

On my driveway, I always have to approach/depart it at a steep angle - more than 45 degrees off-axis - to prevent scraping my convertible's bumper.

Known issue with all 500e front air damn, two friends have five 500e in total, all of them scrapes, yet my Tesla roadster doesn't for some reason on the same driveway. I guess I'm just more cautious of the angle when I pull up.

the 500e is in a different league though, like nascar style air damn.
16292364736_080c7df552_b.jpgIMG_0150_RAW by jeremy jozwik, on Flickr
19141032712_5d39fcc042_b.jpg20150617_080956 by jeremy jozwik, on Flickr

mine is all ripped to hell from folding in on itself, the wifes fit ev also will scrape but its far less regular than the fiat. the fit is probably just when we dont get the angles right.