Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS control of Air Suspension????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RMan

Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2015
Central Oregon
Took delivery of a new 85D on Friday evening. Car exceeds ALL of our expectations. As we continue to learn about the care and feeding of this brilliant car one feature has us stumped.

We have a relatively steep driveway into our home. We have used the HIGH setting on the Air Suspension as we approach the driveway. GPS remembers this adjustment and the car now automatically raises as we approach the driveway. I believe at some point the suspension lowers to standard as the car rests in the garage. As we depart the car seems to raise back to the HIGH setting. This part of the operation is perfect.

However, as we continue to drive away from our home the suspension remains on HIGH. We are forced to manually reset to STANDARD every time we leave the house. What are we doing incorrectly?

Took delivery of a new 85D on Friday evening. Car exceeds ALL of our expectations. As we continue to learn about the care and feeding of this brilliant car one feature has us stumped.

We have a relatively steep driveway into our home. We have used the HIGH setting on the Air Suspension as we approach the driveway. GPS remembers this adjustment and the car now automatically raises as we approach the driveway. I believe at some point the suspension lowers to standard as the car rests in the garage. As we depart the car seems to raise back to the HIGH setting. This part of the operation is perfect.

However, as we continue to drive away from our home the suspension remains on HIGH. We are forced to manually reset to STANDARD every time we leave the house. What are we doing incorrectly?

I don't believe it should lower in the garage. Mine does not.

As for remaining on HIGH when you drive away, after a certain speed it should automatically lower to STANDARD; I think at like 20 mph.

As others have said the geofencing function only triggers the suspension to raise up. It won't go back down again unless you exceed a certain speed, or manually lower it.

It's a great system, but it would be so much more useful if the current suspension height were shown in the instrument cluster so that you could glance down at any time to check it is as expected before going over your speed bump / pothole / dirt track steep driveway.

Good points, guys. GPS will raise it and speed levels will lower it, unless manually adjusted. I find I keep the suspension control screen open while driving in parking lots, etc. A ride height display in the instrument screen would be great. I don't always catch the "raising car" message while it is happening.

It's a great system, but it would be so much more useful if the current suspension height were shown in the instrument cluster so that you could glance down at any time to check it is as expected before going over your speed bump / pothole / dirt track steep driveway.

OMG I hope this gets included in a future release!!! Maybe remove the lock/unlock icon next to the speedo and replace it with the height. How many times have I hit Controls just to glance at the suspension level of the car!

It should go down once you reach a certain speed. That speed isn't all that high. IIRC ('cause i'm too lazy to look it up) 15 mph for VH->H and 30 for H->S. I've never found that it was a problem.

OMG I hope this gets included in a future release!!! Maybe remove the lock/unlock icon next to the speedo and replace it with the height. How many times have I hit Controls just to glance at the suspension level of the car!

Totally agree, would be nice to always know your height. Plus, would love some option to be able to raise & lower faster - weather on steering wheel or a quick shortcut/slider on the main unit.

Don't even think about it. When you hit 35 it'll drop down to standard again. I've only ever lowered the car when I'm showing people how it works. When I raise it, it gets lowered to standard as soon as I start driving normally again, since it lowers it when you go over 30.

I thought it would go from Very High to High at 18 MPH?

Mine does not lower overnight in my garage.

I set it to very high whenever I stop anywhere I frequent, just because it makes getting in/out easier. Apparently I'm old.

I thought it would go from Very High to High at 18 MPH?

Mine does not lower overnight in my garage.

I set it to very high whenever I stop anywhere I frequent, just because it makes getting in/out easier. Apparently I'm old.

Yes, it will go from Very High -> High, but at 23 mph on my vehicle. And my car settles daily. I park on very high over curbs. Every time I sit in my car (after being out for a couple hours), I can see it raising. I've also stood outside it and waited and after 10 minutes, saw it lowered. However, I do NOT count this last one since I was standing around talking with the three guys I gave a test ride too, so it could have been a delay is rebalancing from the additional weight vs. all the other times I was the only rider.

I totally agree! It takes way too long to get the to the right menu through controls if not already set to that page. Plus it's annoying to have to press the screen to figure it out, regardless of how long it takes. I would like a lot more info shown all the time on one display or the other. There is plenty of real estate. I am hoping that the UI change in 7.0 addresses this.

As others have said the geofencing function only triggers the suspension to raise up. It won't go back down again unless you exceed a certain speed, or manually lower it.