Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips on Garage 14-50 Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CHGolferJim

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2014
Chapel Hill NC
I'm preparing the final touches in my garage prior to ordering a 70D in the next few months, and would appreciate any suggestions.

I have a 2-car garage within my house, storage/2 fridges/walkway in the left bay, and my car in the right bay. The breaker box is on the left interior wall. Prior to talking to the electrician, what are the trade-offs in putting a new 14-50 plug by the breaker box and using an extension cord vs. running conduit from the box to an outlet on the wall between the doors (and therefore right next to the back left of the Tesla)?

Thanks.

Officially, Tesla says they don't support using extension cords. That said, many of us use them when needed - for example I carry extension cords with me for travel when I need to destination charge somewhere. That said, I would not use an extension cord as a permanent solution. I'm going to guess that a properly installed conduit with wiring will cost about the same as a well-built 50 Amp extension cord anyway. If I were you, I'd get the conduit run and not rely on an extension cord.

For what it's worth, NEC forbids an extension cord for your application; section 110.3 requires you follow manufacturer's instruction (Tesla explicitly says "do not use an extension cord), section 400.8 (cords; uses not permitted) explicitly states that flexible cord may not be attached to building surfaces (400.8 (4)) or where subject to physical damage (400.8 (7)). As a result, you may fail inspection and/or experience potential liability and/or insurance implications if you choose that path and something happens.

See the FAQ (in my signature if you're using a web browser, or in the charging/north-america section of the forum if you're on Tapatalk) for more information.

I suspected it was also against code but didn't want to say it without knowing for a fact. I knew FlasherZ would chime in. :)

I recommend doing something temporary first - with an extension cord. Just to see how you like it. I've changed solutions - outlets and locations - due to the difficulty in managing the cord. Ultimately the only "easy" solution is going to be wireless charging, but until then you'll want to experiment a lot with what you do with the cord.

A lot is said about "code" on this forum, but I bet every single one of us drives above the speed limit! Which is a lot more dangerous than using an extension cord with the right gauge wire. And don't forget - in the Model S you can lower the amp draw during charging.

running conduit from the box to an outlet on the wall between the doors

here is what I have and it is very practical. I put a hook on the wall to the right of the plug where I hang the cord near the plug. Out of the way and it will reach the car even if I park on the other side.
I hope this helps. I ran some 60ft of #6 cable from the main panel to be able to safely handle the 40Amps.
wall_plug-300.jpg

A lot is said about "code" on this forum, but I bet every single one of us drives above the speed limit! Which is a lot more dangerous than using an extension cord with the right gauge wire. And don't forget - in the Model S you can lower the amp draw during charging.

The primary difference here is that speed limits were also put into place to save fuel and generate revenue for states. The national electric code is purely about safety. Once in a while you get a provision that sneaks in because of a manufacturer's representative, but there is enough representation on the code-making panels that things usually clear up pretty quickly.

If you're going to jerry-rig, then no one's going to stop you; but don't encourage others to violate law. In some jurisdictions, violating the NEC is a misdemeanor compared to a simple speeding citation.

here is what I have and it is very practical. I put a hook on the wall to the right of the plug where I hang the cord near the plug. Out of the way and it will reach the car even if I park on the other side.
I hope this helps. I ran some 60ft of #6 cable from the main panel to be able to safely handle the 40Amps.
View attachment 82841

Thanks! That's the plug and wire that come with the car? I will also paint the area Tesla red and add a sign with logo :cool:

View attachment 82841

Given the cord is 18 feet, that is a pretty clever location. I wonder how much would it cost for that location for the electrician?

The primary difference here is that speed limits were also put into place to save fuel and generate revenue for states. The national electric code is purely about safety. Once in a while you get a provision that sneaks in because of a manufacturer's representative, but there is enough representation on the code-making panels that things usually clear up pretty quickly.

If you're going to jerry-rig, then no one's going to stop you; but don't encourage others to violate law. In some jurisdictions, violating the NEC is a misdemeanor compared to a simple speeding citation.

This is a public forum. He asked for advice and I gave him mine. You gave him yours. Go have a coke and a smile, and relax.

This is a public forum. He asked for advice and I gave him mine. You gave him yours. Go have a coke and a smile, and relax.

Publicly advocating breaking the law and putting someone's life in danger is a bit irresponsible. I've had my coke. Sorry you see a problem with me advocating safety. There's a reason the Code exists. Break it if you want, but don't tell others to put themselves in harm's way.