Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't charge at 120v wall outlet or Chargepoint level 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rare post for us since the car has been quite exceptional.

As we're between homes for a few weeks we've had to use other means than our old homes 240V 40A service. But having now tried 4 120v outlets w/o using an extension cord and a Chargepoint station the car gives us a warning triangle and says to "close charge door, step on brake, open door and try again". It tries to charge for about 5 seconds and then the light goes from green to red.

Any thoughts on if this is the car or the power we need to pay attention to?

Called into Tesla, but been holding for some time.

thanks all!

If you've tried both your UMC and a J1772 station (and assuming that J1772 station isn't on the same electrical service as the 120V outlets), then it seems you have a problem with your car's charging port and/or chargers... service can help.

I just had EXACTLY the same error message 30 minutes ago when trying to charge at my home 380V/16A (note: I am in Europe). I have used my home charge point many times since delivery of the car 8 weeks ago.

The car continues charge but the error message keeps on coming up. I called Tesla Motors, they did a remote check of the car and it is indeed charging (despite the error message). There appears to be a software update for my car (probably not connected to this error message) and Tesla asked me to keep the car charging, do the software update (which will reboot the car). They told me to call back tomorrow if the error message is still there.
You may want to try to reboot the car.

Rare post for us since the car has been quite exceptional.

As we're between homes for a few weeks we've had to use other means than our old homes 240V 40A service. But having now tried 4 120v outlets w/o using an extension cord and a Chargepoint station the car gives us a warning triangle and says to "close charge door, step on brake, open door and try again". It tries to charge for about 5 seconds and then the light goes from green to red.

Any thoughts on if this is the car or the power we need to pay attention to?

Called into Tesla, but been holding for some time.

thanks all!