Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you get ignored by Model S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So drove by a Model S today while I was driving the Roadster. I waved high but they did not acknowledge me. I'm guessing they just don't know that I am in a Tesla too. So I was curious how many roadster owners have experienced something similar?

That's a shame. I looked like a raving lunatic the two times I've seen a roadster on the road and I didn't get a wave back. So some could say y'all ignore us. :wink:

Well there ARE a lot of y'all out there :). But I always wave back. And smile, too.

- - - Updated - - -

So drove by a Model S today while I was driving the Roadster. I waved high but they did not acknowledge me. I'm guessing they just don't know that I am in a Tesla too. So I was curious how many roadster owners have experienced something similar?

I don't wave first anymore. And when parked, I've had some Model S owners ask me, 'Is this Tesla's new car?'. So. Cute.

We weren't in our Tesla, of course, but when Jen and I finally saw our first Tesla after three weeks in the UK - south side of Hyde Park - the poor driver can be forgiven if he thought we were going to try to carjack him. Not sure if he believed us when we told him we were Tesla-starved.....

Yes I experience that regularly.

Roadsters are rare. Many people have never seen one (even where I live in the SF Bay Area) and do not realize they were made by Tesla.

It happens all the time when I am out in our Roadster—and the funny thing is that I know some of the other drivers when I pass them! I get more responses when I am out in the Model S, but not even always then.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since a Model S owner has acknowledged me when I was in the Roadster. But then, it's rare to get a wave when I'm in the Model S, too. And I think I've given several hundred thumbs up to LEAFs, Volts and i3s since I've had one returned.

I did have an iMiEV driver return my thumbs up the other day...percentage-wise I'm going to have to say they're the best. :smile:

I always wave in Seattle, never get a wave back. However, if I am over on the east side, people tend to at least reciprocate.

My favorite Leaf story:

Last summer I was in my Model S in gridlock downtown Seattle traffic (Mercer). There was a gap, so I went to merge in front of a leaf. They moved forward, effectively blocking me from getting in (probably not paying attention I figured). I noticed her window was down, I rolled down my window and kindly shouted "I thought we were on the same team!?" The embarrassed lady laughed and let me in.

I promise to wave!

I have another rare car -- a 2012 Audi TTS Roadster. I don't know the total production numbers, but I've only seen one other on the road in the last two years. I waved to them but got no response.

I believe there were only 79 Roadsters delivered here into the UK, and the only times I have seen another one are in a Service Centre.

I've had a lot of people, however, tell me that they didn't realise you could buy two models from Tesla. I have to explain that one was all about learning how to manage battery chemistry and longevity and car control software, after which they stopped production and built a car from 5 wheels and a computer.

lots of disbelief that anyone would stop making a car as beautiful as the Roadster :)

There used to be 4-5 Roadsters in Sarasota, now I think mine is the only one and folks (incl Model S owners) still ask what it is. Model Ss are a common sight here now but they almost never acknowledge the Roadster; the Model S gets lots of acknowledgments/waves every day.

Last edited:
Last time I checked there were 51 Roadsters listed in the UK on howmanyleft.com.

My best one was when I went to the West Drayton store opening party and the Tesla employee directing parking tried to send me to the general parking area up the road. Cue "do you know what kind of car this is?" and looking at the badge.

I always try to acknowledge another EV or PHEV on the road but most other drivers probably think I'm a nutter.