Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle pinched my hand while retracting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had the door handle retract just as you've got your fingers are grabbing it? It's a painful experience that left a mark on my finger for a few days. I think what happened is that my wife had the fob in her purse, and was walking in the house as I was opening the door to grab something. At the exact moment I had my fingers under the handle and was about to pull, they retracted on me. They came right back out to release me from the neo-chinese finger trap I found myself in. It's only happened the one time, thankfully!

Yeah, it's happened when I delayed using the handle for whatever reason, and happened to finally get to it right as the car was timing out and retracting the handles. Somewhat painful, and definitely startling. I don't get distracted and dally as much after that :)
As many sensors as are in the car, I was kind of surprised there wasn't a sensor for object presence in the handle, and that the force it put out before stopping was as much as it was. Glad it did at least stop though.

Hmm, I've done that on purpose to see what happened. Didn't hurt at all, no marks. The retraction and springs seem pretty soft and benign. Maybe you yanked your hand in a way that hurt in response to the surprise of the handle retracting?

Interesting. Has the door handle design changed from the early versions? In my early production 'S, if a door handle retracts with a hand inside, one can keep it open under (not very strong) spring tension, though the door stays locked.

Thanks for the info.
Oliver

Interesting. Has the door handle design changed from the early versions? In my early production 'S, if a door handle retracts with a hand inside, one can keep it open under (not very strong) spring tension, though the door stays locked.

Thanks for the info.
Oliver

Yeah, same with me. The spring is pretty soft.

Same here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K-Ldi5HyWw

But these are all 2013 cars. I wonder if the new door handles are more "aggressive"?

Thanks for the info.
Oliver

No. I have the P85D and the door handle is the same as yours. It retracts until it senses a hand in the way and then stops to let you pull it out. The pain is probably equal to putting a textbook over your fingers. The only real way that I think someone can get hurt is if he leaves his finger tips at the very edge and the door handles pinch his flesh/skin because they didn't sense the bones that would otherwise have stopped the handles from retracting.

As many sensors as are in the car, I was kind of surprised there wasn't a sensor for object presence in the handle, and that the force it put out before stopping was as much as it was.

Yeah, that would be nice to see: a sensor there as in other cars. For example, this is how you cause the RAV4 EV to unlock. Reaching in to grab the handle unlocks the car (when the key fob is nearby, of course). It senses your hand without you making any contact with either the handle or the door panel.

I would imagine having it try to close on your fingers would be a little off-putting, even if it doesn't cause harm.

No. I have the P85D and the door handle is the same as yours. It retracts until it senses a hand in the way and then stops to let you pull it out. The pain is probably equal to putting a textbook over your fingers. The only real way that I think someone can get hurt is if he leaves his finger tips at the very edge and the door handles pinch his flesh/skin because they didn't sense the bones that would otherwise have stopped the handles from retracting.

That would definitely be a change if that's the case.

My door handle doesn't have a sensor that stops the retraction - I just tried it again. The motor always just rewinds all the way, regardless of obstacle or not.

The reason it doesn't hurt you is because it's retracting a spring.

It's very obvious that the retraction doesn't stop, because if you let go of the handle after retraction, it will "spring" back shut all the way, without the retraction motor spinning up again.

EDIT: Oh, also, I tried pinching the tip of my little finger in it. It doesn't hurt even remotely. Like regoapps mentioned, it's like putting a book on your fingers.

This also happened to me, on the second or third day that I had the car and was still unfamiliar with it. I remember that I approached the car in the garage and its handle did not extend, so I pressed on the handle. That didn't produce any immediate results, so I pressed the fob which I was holding in my other hand. Meanwhile the car's handle started to extend, and I put my hand into it, but then it instantly retracted again because I had pressed the fob. It pinched my fingertip as I tried to remove my hand, and it was painful (much more force applied than just "putting a textbook over your fingers".) I chalked it up to a learning experience and will never again press the fob with my hand (or anyone else's) inside the handle.

Your experience may be different, and I'm glad that it didn't hurt you. Just sharing my experience with this.

This also happened to me, on the second or third day that I had the car and was still unfamiliar with it. I remember that I approached the car in the garage and its handle did not extend, so I pressed on the handle. That didn't produce any immediate results, so I pressed the fob which I was holding in my other hand. Meanwhile the car's handle started to extend, and I put my hand into it, but then it instantly retracted again because I had pressed the fob. It pinched my fingertip as I tried to remove my hand, and it was painful (much more force applied than just "putting a textbook over your fingers".) I chalked it up to a learning experience and will never again press the fob with my hand (or anyone else's) inside the handle.

Your experience may be different, and I'm glad that it didn't hurt you. Just sharing my experience with this.

I think that's because you tried to pull it out at an angle rather than just pulling open the handle again. Same think would happen if you put your fingers in an open drawer and close it lightly on your hand - pull your hand out fast and at an angle and it can scrape and hurt. Just open the drawer again, and no harm done.

Yeah, that would be nice to see: a sensor there as in other cars. For example, this is how you cause the RAV4 EV to unlock. Reaching in to grab the handle unlocks the car (when the key fob is nearby, of course). It senses your hand without you making any contact with either the handle or the door panel.

I would imagine having it try to close on your fingers would be a little off-putting, even if it doesn't cause harm.

I think it does have some kind of a sensor because if I am near the car and I have the key, and the door handles retract after the timeout, I can simply touch the handle and it will extend again, allowing me to open the door. May be just a software update is needed.

This also happened to me, on the second or third day that I had the car and was still unfamiliar with it.

Yeah, me too. Ironically, I was in the parking lot of my local Tesla store!

Thanks for the info.
Oliver

This has happened a couple time to me over the last two weeks. I'm still trying to determine if it's user error and thus, I haven't asked my local service center about it yet. Usually around times when I don't immediately pull the handle to open the door and I pull when it's timing out. Then I have to ultimately pull my handle out, let the handle spring-close, push it so it extends, then open the door.