Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Resetting TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just replaced my wheels with the winter wheels/tires. I haven't driven the car with the new tires yet, but sitting in the garage waiting for the VDS to display tire pressures I get an error saying that my tire pressure system needs service. I also get a yellow "FAULT" on the dash as well as the TPMS icon, flashing yellow first then solid yellow.

The manual says that replacement of a tire by a non-Tesla tech will require resetting of the TPMS. I wonder if this is my problem. Does anyone know the procedure for resetting the TPMS sensors?

Also, do I need to tell the car that I have new tires so that it can recalibrate TC?

It takes a few mins of driving before the sensors wake up so try that before calling for help.

The sensors are coded so if the wheels have not been put back in the same places then you will need recoding.

Also, do I need to tell the car that I have new tires so that it can recalibrate TC?

Yes. I think the procedure varies depending on which roadster you have, but there should be a new tires button on the display.

I just replaced my wheels with the winter wheels/tires. I haven't driven the car with the new tires yet, but sitting in the garage waiting for the VDS to display tire pressures I get an error saying that my tire pressure system needs service. I also get a yellow "FAULT" on the dash as well as the TPMS icon, flashing yellow first then solid yellow.

The manual says that replacement of a tire by a non-Tesla tech will require resetting of the TPMS. I wonder if this is my problem. Does anyone know the procedure for resetting the TPMS sensors?

Inflate the tires to the correct pressure, then follow the manual named: "Installing Snow Tires" (Available as download in your Roadster owner section).
Note:
1) This feature is only available with the most recent firmware (Version 4.1.33 and newer).
2) My pressure reader was reset by a Tesla technician after the tire change (Roadster 2.0).

It takes a few mins of driving before the sensors wake up so try that before calling for help.

The sensors are coded so if the wheels have not been put back in the same places then you will need recoding.

Maybe that is part of the problem. I replaced wheels as well as tires and the summer wheels/tires were next to the car, so maybe the car was still trying to read the summer wheels but getting a bad signal. I need to have the car read the new wheels.

I'll take it out for a quick drive today and see what happens. I didn't leave the garage last night after the replacement trying to figure this out.

Inflate the tires to the correct pressure, then follow the manual named: "Installing Snow Tires" (Available as download in your Roadster owner section).
Note:
1) This feature is only available with the most recent firmware (Version 4.1.33 and newer).
2) My pressure reader was reset by a Tesla technician after the tire change (Roadster 2.0).

Alfred, sounds like you may be on to something here (my firmware is later than 4.1.33) ...unfortunately I don't see the download section in the Teslamotors.com owner's section. How do I get to that section? is it through the forum?

Well driving it and telling the VDS that it has new tires didn't fix it. If its something that requires a tech, I'll just live with it until spring when I put the summer wheels back on. I'm 430 miles from the nearest service center. Not worth the hassle to bring a tech out here to make the Fault light go away.

There's a little proprietary box that a technician has to use to synchronize the transmitters with the car. The transmitters are located on the inside of the tire rim, just behind the tire valve. Each transmitter has a unique serial number. The box has to be placed in proximity with each wheel in turn to read the serial number. Once it has all the numbers it is plugged into the CAN-bus to upload into the car. That way the car will know which wheel is which. Until you do that the car will not recognize the transmitters.

tire pressure system needs service

I have this; my local tech said that they're having issues with a number of the actual TPMS's themselves and that a replacement controller is in order.

My was replaced but still fails every morning. After a few miles it recovers for the day and works ok until the next day. Also, I noted that when the error clears I can see the tire pressure values if I lift the handbrake and go into Information/Tires.

I wonder if it's a timeout that needs extending?

Does yours behave the same?

I have this; my local tech said that they're having issues with a number of the actual TPMS's themselves and that a replacement controller is in order.

My was replaced but still fails every morning. After a few miles it recovers for the day and works ok until the next day. Also, I noted that when the error clears I can see the tire pressure values if I lift the handbrake and go into Information/Tires.

I wonder if it's a timeout that needs extending?

Does yours behave the same?

No, I don't believe its the same issue. It was working fine with thes summer tire wheels. When I put on the Winter tire wheels, the problem cropped up. After driving it, it does not clear the error and tire pressures/temps are never available. It looks like the problem is the the car's receiver is unable to recognize the transmitters on the new wheels.

With a 2.5 ( I am not sure about the other models) you need to use a special programer to assign the sensor for each wheel.

You will need to do this when the winters go on, and come off. I asked if I could just buy the programer, but the tech wasn't sure. It looks like a typical obdII diagnostics programer, but it must have a special scanner to 'read' the tire sensors.

It just doesn't seem worth flying a tech in for, so I hope it's something they can add in future firmware (re learn tire pressure sensors function), otherwise we'll have to get them to sell the programers for those of us in remote locations.

If I do manage to buy one, anyone in the general area (Calgary) is free to borrow it to swap wheels. I'll let you know.

Just got done talking with Tesla. The Chicago service center will allow me to borrow their TPMS tool (I give a $400 refundable deposit, and I pay for shipping). They will ship it overnight and when I'm done and send it back they refund my deposit. I asked if I could purchase the tool from them, and they said they're working on that issue (its not a new request for them).

My Customer Advocate just got back with me. If I wish to purchase the tool, its $800 and a 4 wk lead time. I think I'll purchase it, but borrow the Chicago center's tool to take care of the problem now and use the purchased one for future instances.