Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cellular communication in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really annoyed that my Model S spends most of its time on the Edge network whilst in the vicinity of the southern part of the M25 in UK. Whilst on Edge I cannot use TuneIn or Rdio. I also find the navigation screen to be grey boxes (although on the dash I still have a display).

Does anybody else in the area have similar problems?

I took the car down to France last weekend and whilst over there the car was picking up a 3G signal the whole time and everything was working as it was supposed to.

I'm really annoyed that my Model S spends most of its time on the Edge network whilst in the vicinity of the southern part of the M25 in UK. Whilst on Edge I cannot use TuneIn or Rdio. I also find the navigation screen to be grey boxes (although on the dash I still have a display).

Does anybody else in the area have similar problems?

I took the car down to France last weekend and whilst over there the car was picking up a 3G signal the whole time and everything was working as it was supposed to.
Does your phone have a 3G signal at the time? We have lots of these types of problems in Canada as our cars are roaming on Rogers' network in Canada as their "native" network is AT&T. Perhaps there is a similar situation in that your car's native 3G network is on the continent.

I travel around the M25/M2 corridor along with up and down the M40 to Birmingham and mentioned in the UK forums a few weeks back that the signal is much better than a few months back. Full 3g all the time, better than my o2 mobile. Someone mentioned Tesla is now using o2/EE.

Hi Wayner. Yes, I do have a signal on my phone, but I am using the Three network and I believe the Model S uses a different network.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Wayner. Yes, I do have a signal on my phone, but I am using the Three network and I believe the Model S uses a different network.

There's hope then. I was prompted to post yesterday after being stuck in a traffic jam between J8 and J9. The signal was showing Edge only so I couldn't put Rdio on. Last weekend I had Edge for most of the Southern M25 only getting 3G when I got to M26. But then it was patchy again on M20.

- - - Updated - - -

I travel around the M25/M2 corridor along with up and down the M40 to Birmingham and mentioned in the UK forums a few weeks back that the signal is much better than a few months back. Full 3g all the time, better than my o2 mobile. Someone mentioned Tesla is now using o2/EE.

There's hope then. I was prompted to post yesterday after being stuck in a traffic jam between J8 and J9. The signal was showing Edge only so I couldn't put Rdio on. Last weekend I had Edge for most of the Southern M25 only getting 3G when I got to M26. But then it was patchy again on M20.

From personal experience and talking to friends, Three has by far the best 3G coverage in the UK. However there is a ray of hope in that their parent company just bought O2 and I would expect them to merge or at least allow roaming.

On the other hand it was reported elsewhere that EE's CEO just got a Model S. As long as they don't exclusively go to his network things should improve.

Gave my car back to Gatwick yesterday for a recall and pointed out how bad 3G is. They gave me a loaner which worked perfectly. I told Gatwick and they contacted Tesla asking for permission to change the cellular settings in the car. Just picked it up and found permission was granted. The result is I've just been driving for 45 minutes in the Surrey Hills and was listing to tunein all the way. I'm much happier now.

Also to top it all they upgraded my software to .245 although I can't see what difference there is to .239.