Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep ON or OFF?

Creep ON or OFF?

• Creep ON

Votes: 152 34.8%
  • Creep OFF

Votes: 277 63.4%
  • I have no idea what you're talking about! What is this Creep Stuff all about?

Votes: 8 1.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I ordered my MS I test drove a couple and I absolutely loved the Creep OFF function. It felt like I was driving a stick, but of course not really.

However, in reverse, where I normally just ride the brake, I'm not as fond of it.

Wondering your thoughts on the creep?

Creep off completes the "one-foot driving" experience that starts with regen.

Unless I stop on a slope (or need to accommodate a sudden stop), I can accelerate, cruise, coast, decelerate, and stand at a stop.. .all with one pedal.

With creep on, I have to move to the brake every time during that cycle.

I've always assumed that ICE cars had creep because the transmission design required it. To engage a clutch suddenly would cause more wear than simply letting the car creep a little.

I've chosen creep OFF, but the real coup here is the fact that it's a user choice.

Haven't decided yet. I thought coming from a manual I'd love creep off, but during my test drive we stopped on a very small slope, and having the car roll backwards as soon as I let go of the brake was a weird experience... I'm used to 2 foot driving with a stick, but this wasn't a stick!

On for safety for two reasons:
1. When stopping uphill the car will roll backwards if creep is not on and the brake is not depressed.
2. When parking without creep, it is very easy to accelerate too fast and hit another car or pole.
Disagree. The Hill Assist feature prevents the car from rolling backward a on a slope when you take your foot off the brake. Of course that only lasts about two seconds but that is enough.
And the "go" pedal control in the S is so precise that it is easy to modulate the pedal at very low speeds.

I prefer Creep off in the S. However, I primarily drive my Roadster which has no option to turn Creep off, so I am used to both ways.

As can be seen from this thread, people have different preferences for Creep on or off. And of course in the S the driver can choose. So try it both ways and decide what you like.
I do not want Tesla to change the software so that there can be independent settings for Creep in D or R. That would be confusing and potentially lead to low speed accidents.

Off. Creep only exists because of the design of automatic transmissions. No need for it here.

Some people have mentioned suddenly accelerating while reversing with it off. It took me a day or two to get used to the feel of the pedal, but after that I have no trouble accelerating gently with a light touch.

For those of you who disagree, I'm glad that it's an option so we can all be happy.

Disagree. The Hill Assist feature prevents the car from rolling backward a on a slope when you take your foot off the brake. Of course that only lasts about two seconds but that is enough.

Does that happen on any kind of slope? I didn't experience this during my test drive... very gentle slope, but as soon as I let go of the brake pedal the car rolled backwards.

Does that happen on any kind of slope? I didn't experience this during my test drive... very gentle slope, but as soon as I let go of the brake pedal the car rolled backwards.

On a very gentle slope it won't activate. It's only on slopes so gentle that you'll only roll back a few inches before you get your foot on the accelerator, so it doesn't bother me, but it does happen. On anything steep enough to worry me, it activates.

I wanted to go with creep off and started that way, but parking in my garage was a major headache that way. I have a very tiny slope, I did not even realize it until I tried to park with creep off. But with that it meant that in order to slowly move the car into the garage, I had to keep switching like crazy between break and go pedal, or use both of them with 2 feet, which felt awkward. Otherwise the car would either start to move too fast for my comfort in the tight space or start rolling backward both of which made me very nervous that I would scrape the car on the door frame.

With creep on it is very easy, I just lightly touch the break pedal and the car moves forward very slowly, easy to control. So creep on gives me 1-pedal parking possibility, while creep off requires high-frequency switching between the 2 pedals.

On for safety for two reasons:
1. When stopping uphill the car will roll backwards if creep is not on and the brake is not depressed.
2. When parking without creep, it is very easy to accelerate too fast and hit another car or pole.

1. Creep isn't strong enough to hold the car still on steep slopes, it can still roll backwards. It can also carry you uphill on milder slopes so if you're stopped you still need to hold your brake depressed.
2. Going on 3 years with no creep and neither my wife nor I have any problem reversing or parking. It's what you're used to and feel comfortable with.

As far as "safety" is concerned, best practice is to stay on the brake anyway while the car is stopped. With creep on you don't want to roll forward on level surfaces and with creep off there's always a risk that someone rolls into you and you push forward into the next guy. Holding your foot on the brakes also means your tail lights are illuminated, that's the safest option of all.