Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current War : Tesla vs Edison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaEdison.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The war continues until today. Edison engineered the DC network with +/- 110V and neutral. Tesla engineered AC and invented 3 phase AC power. AC won in he U.S., but not 3 phase. Domestic power is AC +/- 110V. Tesla Motors designs the Model S plug accordingly...

There's a church in Manhattan that signed up for electric service with Thomas Edison (yes, himself) on his early DC network. Until 2007, they still took some of their power directly from ConEdison as DC to power the pipe organ motor and the elevators, forcing ConEd to maintain a pair of inverters in a mini-substation under Fifth Avenue. Apparently ConEd finally figured that it was cheaper simply to replace the church's organ blower and elevators!

Last edited:
The war continues until today. Edison engineered the DC network with +/- 110V and neutral. Tesla engineered AC and invented 3 phase AC power. AC won in he U.S., but not 3 phase. Domestic power is AC +/- 110V. Tesla Motors designs the Model S plug accordingly...

Power distribution in the USA is three phase. Look at any large transmission tower to verify.

Interestingly, for very long distance transmission and underwater applications, high voltage DC systems are often used.

Maybe because I'm from the east coast, but coming up it was all about Edison. Seems like a lot of Tesla's ideas got put into the mix, but in the end, the glory all went to Edison. Very fitting of Elon to pay homage to the name.

If I had the chance to introduce both Edison and Tesla to Elon, I'd rush to make it happen. Elon would quickly bring them back together again, and help expedite energy availability worldwide. All three are my favorites. I'm pleased to live as a contemporary of Elon Musk. And I'm certain Edison and Tesla would appreciate his work as well.