Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many are dissatisfied with the Rdio player?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model S in Australia for a bit over 4 months now and I'm really happy with it except for one thing; The Rdio player.

In it's simplest form it's pretty good. You choose a station and off it goes playing a semi-random list of songs from the same genre. Similarly choosing a song and creating a station based on it also works well.

What I don't like is that it won't let you play an album in it's entirety, or play songs just by one artist. This makes the option of searching by artist or album fairly pointless. Searching by song is the only thing that's really useful. For me this really limits the appeal of having streaming music in the car.

Another issue I have is that there appear to be a few bugs in the player. Occasionally a song will cease playing part way through. The player will continue in silence until the end of the track and then the next one will start. You can skip to the next track and it will work, but it is an annoying interruption. This doesn't appear to be related to 3G reception. Also, sometimes a song will start playing for a few seconds, then stop, then start again. Also irritating.

I also don't like the inability to skip backwards. If I really liked a song and want to hear it again, why can't I?

I often have my 4 year old in the car and having to explain to her that she can't listen to 'Do you want to build a snowman' straight after 'Let it go' is very frustrating. It has the potential to create real distraction skipping through tracks hoping the one we want comes up.

I don't know how this compares with the Slacker player that cars in some other regions have. Can anyone comment?

Tesla really haven't said anything about this issue. I can see it would be a low priority, but for me it is a real standout problem with the car and one I always point out to friends who are interested in the car (many of them potential customers). Perhaps the 7.0 firmware will bring improvements but in the meantime I wonder if others have the same irritations with the player.

I've had my Model S in Australia for a bit over 4 months now and I'm really happy with it except for one thing; The Rdio player.

In it's simplest form it's pretty good. You choose a station and off it goes playing a semi-random list of songs from the same genre. Similarly choosing a song and creating a station based on it also works well.

What I don't like is that it won't let you play an album in it's entirety, or play songs just by one artist. This makes the option of searching by artist or album fairly pointless. Searching by song is the only thing that's really useful. For me this really limits the appeal of having streaming music in the car.

Another issue I have is that there appear to be a few bugs in the player. Occasionally a song will cease playing part way through. The player will continue in silence until the end of the track and then the next one will start. You can skip to the next track and it will work, but it is an annoying interruption. This doesn't appear to be related to 3G reception. Also, sometimes a song will start playing for a few seconds, then stop, then start again. Also irritating.

I also don't like the inability to skip backwards. If I really liked a song and want to hear it again, why can't I?

I often have my 4 year old in the car and having to explain to her that she can't listen to 'Do you want to build a snowman' straight after 'Let it go' is very frustrating. It has the potential to create real distraction skipping through tracks hoping the one we want comes up.

I don't know how this compares with the Slacker player that cars in some other regions have. Can anyone comment?

Tesla really haven't said anything about this issue. I can see it would be a low priority, but for me it is a real standout problem with the car and one I always point out to friends who are interested in the car (many of them potential customers). Perhaps the 7.0 firmware will bring improvements but in the meantime I wonder if others have the same irritations with the player.

Agree, don't like it. I think most of the "Why not?" questions can be answered by licencing fees. It makes it pointless to search for albums or artists, I agree. I see it as a sort of radio station where you can influence the starting parameters, that's all.

Most of your complaints are also valid for Slacker here in NA. I am from the album era and I view an entire album is a work of art - in many instances it is sacrilege to not play an album in its entirety - like songs from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. But I get around this by using Spotify on my phone connected to the car via Bluetooth.

This isn't a matter of polish, just one of functionality. These are basically radio stations, and not meant for listening to albums. Eventually I imagine they will support more full featured services (like Spotify), but only when we are paying a monthly fee.

- - - Updated - - -

Specific song can be play with voice command in the way: " Play-- Midnight oil -- Beds are burning"

Not really. It will create a virtual station based on that song, and usually but not always that song will be the first one played on that station. However, try this. Do the command you specified and listen to the song. 5 minutes later repeat the request. It will play a different song.

Eventually I imagine they will support more full featured services (like Spotify), but only when we are paying a monthly fee.
But it would be nice to have the option to do this. I did buy a premium Slacker account for a few months but even with that I found it didn't work as well as Spotify. I would choose Spotify in a second but then you use the integration with the car's UI for the most part and have to use your phone. This is a reason why Tesla should support Carplay, etc as it makes it much easier to integrate these types of services.

I'm glad my concerns are shared, although sad to hear the problem exists in Slacker territory as well. Does anyone know of a good way to raise the issue with Tesla? If it's a matter of fees, I'd be happy to pay a few dollars a month. I already have a Spotify subscription which is great, but I listen to so much music in the car that it would chew through my data allowance too quickly to be viable. Perhaps Tesla want to make it unattractive so we don't chew up their data allowance!

I have a Rdio account already so I'd like to be able to enter my own details or my own details for a Spotify account in a provided Spotify app.
Off course all this pales into a minor irritation compared to the poor functionality of the music player with supported formats and folder organisation. The media features are surprisingly poor in this car